Our partner

I need to find an isolated way to make a living.

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Re: I need to find an isolated way to make a living.

Postby Parador » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:19 pm

I remember my sister had a 3rd shift job cleaning offices once. Sounded like heaven. She also had a 3rd shift stocking shelves at a discount department store.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:20 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby skyflyz » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Parador wrote:I remember my sister had a 3rd shift job cleaning offices once. Sounded like heaven. She also had a 3rd shift stocking shelves at a discount department store.

And this is my point. Those jobs, while pretty comfortable for avoidants, are hardly likely to be satisfying, lucrative, or good for self-esteem... at least not for most people. I understand that for some people, this is what they need to do.. but for others, well, I am opposed to AVPDs leading a life that is "less than". It can be a side effect of the disease.
“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
― Lao Tzu
skyflyz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:20 am

Postby inverse » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:49 pm

"Underemployment" was one of the qualifications for AvPD in the DSM-V.
inverse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

Postby justbreathe88 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:50 pm

I know this is an old thread, but it is still something that applies to everyone I am assuming so I am going to comment anyways.

It took me a really long time to find a career that would suit my Avoidant tendencies. I didn't even know about AvPD until today, there is NOTHING about AvPD that doesn't fit my life. I live somewhere where job opportunities are of the few, and the ones that they do have are very broad roles so you can't just focus on one specific part of career as you can do in big cities. So my job isn't exactly perfect for me, but there is one aspect of it that I love and I think that many of you would probably love too. If I could literally just do this all day i would absolutely love my job, but I have coworkers and clients and all that fun stuff that even though I try really hard to be a people person I am 75% of the time very awkward and spend most of my time having anxiety about everyone hating me for it and everyone secretly wants me fired.

So the part of my job that is great is Transcription. So anyone who doesn't know what that is I will explain. People record themselves talking a dictate letters that I need to type up/format and sometimes I get some really great dictations that can be up to a half an hour long!! This actually excites me in a lot of ways because it takes my mind and focus off people and my anxiety. I just get to sit and type with headphones in. So I get to work by myself and if I could make a business out of it and hire my own receptionist that would be awesome. As far as I know in the states there are actually jobs where you can actually type/format your whole shift. The great thing about dictations is that they can tell you what to do but you don't have to converse with them!! If I do need to answer a question I can send an e-mail with the answer which is great. No anxiety to converse via e-mail because I can think long and hard about how I am going to answer without feeling the pressure and anxiety that you feel when you are on the spot.

So unfortunately there are no jobs here that you can strictly just do this so I end up also needing to be a receptionist which can be very difficult for me. Someone can tell me 10 million times to say a certain thing when people call and ask for something. Every single time I get nervous and don't do it. Part of it kind of requires me to lie, which I have so much anxiety about lying in person or over the phone because I don't want it to come up why I lied etc. So if someone asked for lets say their name is AB BC but that person technically doesn't work her I still have to transfer them to AB CB because he is worried he will lose a client if someone remembers his name wrong. Which makes sense but every time I am put on the spot I still say he doesn't work her and tell them who to call......So I get called into the office to be talked to about it and they tell me over and over what I am doing wrong as if I was never told before. If I were them I probably would fire me!

So if you live somewhere where you can strictly transcribe it's actually great for someone who can't handle human interaction. I worked in a call center before and that was just as bad. I would be too nice and honest with people and I would get in trouble for it but no one ever talks to be about transcription because I am a fast typer and good at formatting just about anything. The only problem is for people to keep you busy because as soon as you slow down and think that's when you start overthinking every conversation you have had in your life and awkward you sound and trying to prevent it for future interaction.

It would be cool if this career recommendation helps someone with AvPD that would be great :)
Our hopes and expectations. Black holes and revelations.
justbreathe88
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am

Postby Auxiliary11 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:04 pm

Yeah the transcription part sounds really convenient actually : )
self dx. pdd-nos (level 1); covert narcissism w/ avoidant traits; social phobia; inertia.

INFP; dismissive/fearful-avoidant & highly sensitive person

"Life, a sexually transmitted, terminal disease."
"you built up a world of magic, because your real life is tragic"
Auxiliary11
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby FragranceOfLilac » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:21 pm

@justbreathe88, good recommendation. I've looked into it, too. In my country, though, it pays so little that you can't live from transcription. :(

I've been doing translation on and off via Internet, it's one skill I've got. But the competition is fierce and I rarely get hired. Freelancing and fierce competition make this job very unreliable, I literally can't earn a living this way and have to depend on parents. Clients have too much choice.

The biggest letdown in recent history that is directly related to avoidant features? I was called by a woman who found an ad that I posted 3 years ago (how did she even find it?) and was offered a translating job in the office, but in quiet atmosphere and with noone around. The wages she offered were incredible, and I looked online and saw that the company really was good and rich, not a scam. But she asked: "Why do you sound so strange, do you have some hidden problems that prevent you from working here?" I said no, I was just surprised to get a call. But of course my voice was trembling out of fear towards her, you know? I'm sure you know. Result? She decided that I was hiding something from her and no, don't come here for a test in that case. :?
Mixed personality disorder (avoidant, depressive) and depression. Official DX.
FragranceOfLilac
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:20 pm

Postby justbreathe88 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:04 pm

It doesn't pay too much here either but it is worth it to me in someways to have the reliable office hours and health benefits. I also get to work most days by myself and only get instructions through dictations so it's the only job I can find that has the least interaction as possible despite the receptionist duties, but it's not usually very busy in that department which is why I am here on this forum. My job can be so boring that I take the risk of getting caught using the computer for things that aren't work related just to prevent myself from really going crazy.

I think if I can work for the courthouse I could make more money. Stenographers do get paid more but there are barely any jobs in that field unless you open your own company which like someone else mentioned owning your own business can bring on more interaction than being employed.

If I don't work... I only have time to think, over analyse and cause myself anxiety. I go too stir crazy without full time employment and this seems to be the only option for a career I can handle. If anyone has a better idea for a higher paying employment with the same isolated benefits I am totally open for suggestions.
Our hopes and expectations. Black holes and revelations.
justbreathe88
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am

Postby Me two » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:33 am

that's a sad story lilac.

I used to work in tech support, it was great and I loved it but my life took a turn and don't look back etc. I will need to find something though in the future as I have a long life ahead of me... what I don't know.... transcription sounds ideal actually. any ideas welcome!
I too have been underemployed at different times in my life, even with the above role, I took concessions thanks to my self esteem or lack of. and bad self talk.
INTP AvPD
It does get easier...
Me two
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby FragranceOfLilac » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:58 am

Me two wrote:I too have been underemployed at different times in my life, even with the above role, I took concessions thanks to my self esteem or lack of. and bad self talk.

You must be in a country with good economy? In mine you can't survive on concession money. And that's been my major fear for years, I need to find a reliable and sizable enough income source, or I'll have to kill myself one day when my relatives pass. I keep picturing having to jump in front of a train, this is awful, because it's so likely I'll have to if nothing changes. Not a fan of slow death from lack of enough food. But I don't believe I'll be ever capable of fully sustaining myself. My only hopes are either miraculously cure myself of AvPD or find husband, so that I'm not the only one income depends on. But finding husband? I can't even make myself leave home.

I'm so envious (in a good way) of you ladies that you have husbands! Not just for financial security. It's simply nice not to miss out on good things in life.
Mixed personality disorder (avoidant, depressive) and depression. Official DX.
FragranceOfLilac
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:20 pm

Postby jawila » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:22 pm

This may be the biggest stressor in my life next to loneliness.

I've been underemployed for most of my life working as a driver.

I'm wondering if there is a way for an avoidant to get through traditional college? (I keep trying but failing.)
Dx: Bipolar II and AvPD

Rx: Latuda 40mg
jawila
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 am

PreviousNext

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views