Our partner

What would your ideal relationship be like?

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Re: What would your ideal relationship be like?

Postby twistermind » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:47 pm

:P She never will be bossy with you like every women is, including me.

This is my Parador!
twistermind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Thesilverdawn » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:02 pm

Some people look for opposites. I think I'd prefer someone really similar to me. Not totally the same, but someone similar so we can understand each other. I met women that were the total opposite of me and they seemed too...cold to me. I'm really affectionate and stuff.

I don't think being with someone that has the same (or similar) mental issues as me would be a problem. If we both work towards improving our situation, then we can encourage each other and that, to me, sounds pretty sweet. It also helps if we have days where we don't feel that good and we can just stay inside lol. Having someone that understands what you're going through is really wonderful too. When I speak to someone that has no idea what I'm going through, getting support from them can be difficult, since they don't know what to say.
Thesilverdawn
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby jkxxster » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:20 pm

This quote by inverse caught my attention

I have a major problem with understanding that people change their minds, that they can have a reaction that flares up but then dies down again. I think, once someone is going in a certain direction, for example, as far as they can go away from me, that they will stay on that path forever, that there are no curves in the road. That is, of course, ridiculous. Doesn't keep me from being a broken record, saying over and over again, "well, I think they're really gone for good this time."

because for an AvPD the worry of when will s/he leave? can be very real. (As well as other fears relating to someone close to you changing their mind in a major way.) So perhaps there is no ideal relationship and we have to make do with workable ones instead.

To throw my 2 cents in, it would be someone who can empathize and who is attractive to me (and vice versa). The rest is a matter of working out details. I can work with someone who's honest and interested even if they are not familiar with what AvPD is like.
jkxxster
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

Postby HopelessRomantic » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:27 pm

skyflyz wrote:
HopelessRomantic wrote:People say that if this is the right person at the right time, then you would work very hard not to mess it up.

The more I want it (and it goes for friendships too) the more likely some sort of stupid s*it will come out of my mouth eventually, screwing everything up.

There is lots of truth in what wrote here. Basically, I've always had problems with forming friendships. And once I invested enough to start the process of forming a friendship, I've always had this thought at the back of my head "this person will very soon realise that I am not completely normal, and will ridicule me, and leave me". But at the time when I craved something else than friendships and my life was not going in the right direction, my old acquaintances have become my friends and they craved for my company and listened carefully to what I had to say. So if you're not desperate for something, it is going to come to you on its own.
HopelessRomantic
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 pm

Postby Lanka » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:58 pm

An android. Or rather a gynoid to be more precise. Think I'm alive some 50 years too early, at least.. --"

If barely I can tolerate myself, I don't see how another human being would. I'd rather have a learning machine companion; just real enough to radiate body heat and fake a heart-beat. Specific sexual organs not even necessary if practically only thing I want is a hug and reliable company. Ofcourse with my fancy disorder it'd be nice to have an anchor for keeping me from wandering too far with my wacky plans.
Rapid cycling BP II with side of anxiousness, mixed states and BPD/AvPD-traits.
Meds? Went feral. So far nothing has given me the equal of highs on daily basis.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.”
Lanka
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Previous

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post