Our partner

Dog or cat person?

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Are you a dog or a cat person?

Cat
45%
Dog
27%
Both
27%
Neither
No votes

Total votes : 11

Dog or cat person?

Postby bbanner » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:08 am

I'm just testing a theory. I always had difficulties deciding whether I'm more of a cat or a dog person, because I'm really an animal person, I like animals way more than people and I like every single species, I would cuddle everything that comes my way.
But lately I've been wondering which animal would I get if I would be living in a flat that would allow one and I chose a dog - because even though they're great to cuddle, they have that superiority complex and I would much rather have an animal that madly loves me and who I know won't use me just for food or when s/he needs me for something (I make cats sound like such b*tches :D). Anyway, I'm wondering if more Avies feel the same. Can animals make you feel rejected as well as people? Which animal would you choose?
bbanner
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Dog or cat person?

Postby Bovary » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:07 am

I don't care as much about animals,they don't think,they can't reject me.But,I do find them cute and like them.I find cats adorable but they really are huge bitches.I prefer dog personality because most cats don't really do anything good or fun.
Bovary
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby blankslate » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:29 am

Can animals make you feel rejected as well as people?

Absolutely. I have seen soo many people in here say they have felt rejected by their cat.

I love both but if I had to choose one it would be a dog. Among other things i like that you don't have to worry about your dog being eaten by a fox, fisher cat, or coyote (small dogs excluded) at night. But along your lines, I do love how a dog gets super ######6 excited when you come home from work or when you ask him if he wants to go on a walk, etc. Final thing is that I like that you can do activities with a dog like hike and ski with him.

I also like non mammalian pets like reptiles, birds, and swarms of bees.
blankslate
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:14 pm

Postby islandave » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 am

I love both animals but I do prefer a cat. I think it's because you know where you stand with a cat. I can identify with them.
Dogs are a bit psychophantic for my liking, a bit like prostitutes. You can't trust something that says yes all the time :|
NPD with Borderline Traits

My mum loves me. Everyone else thinks I'm a c**t
islandave
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby venividivicky » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:52 am

We used to have 3 cats and 3 dogs at the same time.

All dogs and cats are individuals with extremely different characters. You can get an independent dog (some breeds are more likely than others, like Chow Chow) or an extremely loyal and loving cat.
venividivicky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby bbanner » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:36 pm

I just noticed I mistakenly assigned the cat personality to dogs in my OP ;) This is the correct sentence:
bbanner wrote:and I chose a dog - because even though cats are great to cuddle, they have that superiority complex

islandave wrote:Dogs are a bit psychophantic for my liking, a bit like prostitutes. You can't trust something that says yes all the time :|

You do have a point ... maybe this is the beauty of animals not having "free will" and not be able to make complex decisions. As fake and as impossible as this psychopatic love appears to be, it actually seems to work with dogs. You don't hear many stories of dogs suddenly turning against their owner (except when they were being abused). That's why I don't trust humans who say they're able to love unconditionally but I trust dogs. It's a selfish love either way, they're both creepily obsessed but people can get way more insane using this excuse.
bbanner
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Parador » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:16 pm

blankslate wrote:
Can animals make you feel rejected as well as people?

Absolutely. I have seen soo many people in here say they have felt rejected by their cat.

I have never felt rejected by a cat. Sometimes my cat is interested in other things so she doesn't spend as much time with me. That's OK with me. I want her to be as independent as she can be. What if something happens to me? I want her to be happy. I have seen nasty antisocial cats before, but I have never had one. Dogs are great, but they are not independent enough. They need to have their person around them all the time. That would not be good for a guy like me who travels around a lot.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby lilyfairy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:17 pm

I think animals can make you feel rejected, though I don't think it is on the same level of hurt as is usually done by a human.

I'm more a dog person than a cat person (I don't like cats- they make me sneezy), but I probably prefer birds more- big or small. At present it's a budgie, though I used to have a type of Australian parrot who was my best mate.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 am

Postby Parador » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 pm

Another reason I like cats is because they live longer than dogs. When a pet gets old and dies it is really awful. I went through it a few years ago with Buddy - I still miss the little guy. He was an awesome cat. Heck, I still miss Sheba who died 25 years ago. I had had her since I was a kid so when she got sick and died I was totally devestated. I did not handle her final trip to the vet well.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby skyflyz » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:51 pm

My dog is always happy to see me and can't get enough of me, even after he's been fed. He's a huge source of companionship and comfort. He doesn't have too many years left, it's true, so I am making the best of what I have with him while it's here. All I have to do is look at him and his tail starts wagging. Where would I ever find a person who's always so happy to see me?

Also, you are supposed to walk your dog, so this is a great incentive to go take a walk. Sometimes people who like dogs will say something to you because you have the dog. Dogs always make me smile, so when I see somebody with a dog it's much easier to smile at them and the dog. In short, dogs can be a very good tool for helping with people who have anxiety. Lately I've even seen meetups for "pet parents", which I suppose would be good with any pet you might have.

Of course, dogs are more work than cats, but so worth it if you get a good one.
“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
― Lao Tzu
skyflyz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:14 pm

Next

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views