Our partner

Doctors assume you're an idiot or a crybaby

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Re: Doctors assume you're an idiot or a crybaby

Postby Parador » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:38 pm

I could send the MRI and x-ray results out. I will if I have to. The doc who ordered the MRI can't see me until mid august. I have a mid July appointment with one. It's just that anyplace I go will have a long waiting time. The guy who saw me quickly is at a fairly new orthopedic practice and maybe that's why I got in to see him so fast - they don't have tons of clients yet. He is an experienced surgeon from Boston so I am not worried about inexperience. But a few years ago there was an article in the news about an orthopedic surgeon is suing that hospital s for allegedly infecting his patients with bacteria in an effort to “destroy his career and falsely blame him for the infections,” Kind of creepy.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Parador » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:58 pm

It's looking like suprascapular neuropathy. That nerve goes through a suprascapular notch and a spinglenoid notch. It can get compresses at either area. It can be due to cysts or tendon tears. It's a bit complicated. But at least I have an idea of what's going on now. Now if I can find a doc to do something.

Lots of info at the website of the Boston Shoulder Institute.
http://bosshin.com/mission_statement/

Could go down there if I have to I guess. Would have to get someone to drive me because the pain is too bad. I actually have walked by that place many times when I visit Beantown. Not far from Symphony Hall and Jordan Hall.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby skyflyz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:06 am

Wow.. that is AMAZING that they have a Shoulder Institute! I hope this gets resolved to where you don't have to travel so far but this looks like the Go To place for your injury.
“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
― Lao Tzu
skyflyz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

Postby Parador » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Talked to 2 orthopedic surgeons this week and it's not a nerve problems according to them. They have absolutely NO ######6 idea why I am in severe debilitating pain. Got another cortisone shot that is doing NOTHING. This shot was in the acromion. The shot in the sub-acromial space helped a bit. That would indicate impingement syndrome, but the doc doesn't say I have that. He says he could reattach my separated shoulder. But that can't be the problem. It's been separated for 30 years and has not bothered me this much so that CAN'T be the problem. I think there is something in there that needs to be looked at. They can scope it, but I can't find anyone to do that. The surgery to reattach the collarbone is major surgery and there is no guarantee that it will help at all.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby skyflyz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:51 am

I'm sorry you keep having all this trouble getting somebody to help you out.. (how's the foot by the way?). It just seems as though you keep having to go from place to place.. that's terrible. :(
― Lao Tzu
skyflyz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Parador » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Foot still hurts but it's only been 10 weeks since the surgery. It's still improving. I have gotten help from cortisone after the other foot surgeries. But right now the shoulder is literally 10000 times worse than the foot. I could easily go back to work with my foot like this, but the shoulder pain is totally debilitating. The surgeon said to call him in 2 weeks if the cortisone didn't help. If he agrees to look at the sub-acromial space during the surgery I will agree to it. The shot in that space helped so there must be something in there contributing to the problem - even though it doesn't show up on imaging. Sometimes they can make more space in there by shaving the acromion. Could also be some tearing of labrum in there. No choice - pain is unbearable.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby skyflyz » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:02 am

Doctors have probably been taught to try all this other stuff before they do surgery.. seeing surgery as the last resort. That does suck though.. pain sucks. :( I hope you get help with it.
― Lao Tzu
skyflyz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby lilyfairy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:10 pm

I hope you get help with it too Parador, and that they can figure out what's going on in there. I agree too that being in pain like that really sucks. Really hope the foot continues to improve.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:06 am

Postby Parador » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm scared sh!tless of this shoulder surgery. It's major surgery - nothing like the foot surgeries I have had. I wouldn't be scared of a simple distal clavical resection, but since it's not a simple case of AC arthritis that won't help. I have been looking online for people who have had the collarbone reattachment. One guy had the surgeon damage his radial nerve and now he can't use the arm at all. With my luck that would happen to me. The doc who said he would operate has no bad reviews anywhere though. But neither did the dentist before he butchered me. look at this journal article that descibes all the different techniques that have been tried. Well I can't post the link. But it's in the Journal of Orhapedic Surgery and Research: Acromioclavicular joint dislocation: a comparative biomechanical study of the palmaris-longus tendon graft reconstruction with other augmentative methods in cadaveric models

I think I will call a chiropractor. Even though I've never believed in them.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby skyflyz » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:52 am

It sounds like a tricky surgery.. those doctors are probably afraid of being sued. I went to a chiropractor once. He helped me, but it was just with something simple.. I was going to say it couldn't hurt.. but er, maybe it could. They do make some gruesome noises with your bones. I knew somebody who went to a chiropractor when it ended up he some sort of peripheral neuropathy, I think that is what it is called. The chiropractor made it all worse and didn't even know enough to tell him it was out of his league.
― Lao Tzu
skyflyz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Previous

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views