Our partner

Can a Avpd hold a job

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: lilyfairy, RememberRonni

Can a Avpd hold a job

Postby butter blossom » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:44 am

I have no luck finding a job. I guess it is because of my avpd tendencies.
butter blossom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:26 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby sweetngentle » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:05 pm

I believe that a person with AvPd can hold down a job. It's not easy but it can be done.

I used to work as a church secretary and then recently I have worked as a home health care aid. I'm not saying it is easy, but I do believe it can be done. I worked at the church for5 years and then as a care giver for 2 years.

The only reason I'm not working now is because i had an extensive amount of surgery done to my hand. But give me a couple of weeks and I will be back.....hopefully :wink:

Take Care,
Sweetngentle
Blessed are those
who can give without
remembering, and take
without forgetting.
sweetngentle
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:26 am

Postby slatey » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:37 pm

Hi,

What kind of jobs were you applying for? I think if you were able to look for a job that isn't heavy on socializing, yet not completely isolate, you could use it to your advantage to practice your own sort of therapy.
slatey
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:26 am

Postby butter blossom » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:04 pm

I was applying for cashier jobs mostly.
butter blossom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby trents » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:53 am

I work. I specifically chose a job that didn't require a lot of socializing. I prefer a very independent job. At the same time, it has gradually become more social with more employees and I have found it a great way to ease into more socializing.

There could be many reasons why you are having trouble finding a job. Are you getting called for interviews? If not, you might need to work on your resume and cover letter. Or, you may need to broaden your choice of work. Or, you may be in an area with a lack of available jobs. Whatever the reasons, find what you can do to change things, and try not to be hard on yourself. Finding work is difficult for most people.

If you are getting called for interviews, but don't get offered the jobs, you may need to work on enthusiasm. Most employers want an enthusiastic employee. I know it's difficult for AvPD, but you can practise putting on a cheerful person. That's what I do, almost like dressing up in a new personality suit.

What about data entry jobs? Something similar?

Getting a job can increase self-esteem, which can increase desire to socialize, which can make life better. Money is nice, too.

Good luck!
trents
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby APD_Guy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:23 am

I have a job. I can do quite well at my jobs, since it's a work scene and not a social scene. I'm almost always acting at my job, putting up a happy front, etc. I have always found jobs that I am over qualified for. I'm chronically underemployed due to my apd. I don't know why you are having problems finding jobs without specific information as Trence said. I have always had problems on job interviews, but after going on so many I got better at it. A lot of times finding the right job is just plain luck. Keep trying and don't be discouraged.
APD_Guy
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Dragonfly » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:06 pm

I have always had a job, not great ones, but jobs, including those data entry jobs Trence mentioned. When I do not work, my self-esteem goes down the toilet and that is much worse than the anxiety of looking for a job. On the other, getting a job and doing it, raises my self-esteem.

Like others, I am usually overqualified for the positions, although that is getting slightly better. You could also say that I am an underachiever for all kinds of avoidant reasons.

If you have lots of trouble applying directly to jobs or being interviewed, I suggest going to agencies. You still have to talk to them etc., but they are not the guys you'll be working for. I find, that lessens my stress level and has worked for me.

Dragonfly.
Steady as she goes ...
Dragonfly
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Mousey Brown » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:15 am

Before college I was able to do jobs such as animal care at vet offices and horse stables, where I had to interact with only one or two managers but spent most of my time with the animals. During college my social skills improved to the point where I was ok interacting in structured situations such as group projects, planned activities, working in a well-organized office environment. I chose my college based on the people vibe I got when I visited, not based on academics. And I think the supportive environment allowed me to make this progress. So now I can perform ok at many jobs provided the environment is structured. By perform I mean getting the job done. Unfortunately I still feel icky about having to share a bathroom, lunch room, be in a cubicle that is too close for comfort and where people don't even have to knock to talk to me. So although I am able to make a living and stay busy, I do suffer an unhealthy amount of stress.
Mousey Brown
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby fictional_stranger » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:08 pm

I'm 25, and have had 27 jobs. The longest job I held down was for 2 years, which was basically me alone in a room with a computer. The ideal job for someone with AvPD, I suppose. Most other jobs last about a week or two before the stress of socializing makes me break and end up quitting(ie, just never showing up since quitting requires socializing).

It's horrible and miserable. I can't pay my bills, and my husband is working himself to death to compensate for what I ought to be finacially bringing into the relationship.

I'm currently persuing disability again after another rejection, but I don't know if they'll approve based on my diagnosis. Anyone here on SSD?
fictional_stranger
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby tchehov » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:51 am

I can't even get past job interviews. I can't make eye contact with the interviewers, I can't bear to shake their hands. I resent their questions. The only jobs I've ever had were those that didn't interview, low level clerical type posts. Tey I'm high qualified...

Now I'm out of work again. I just don't know what to do. It's so depressing.
tchehov
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post