Our partner

What helped you when you were a kid to feel better?

Autism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What helped you when you were a kid to feel better?

Postby evenlife » Wed May 04, 2016 10:49 pm

My mom's friend have a 4 years old child who was diagnosticated with mild austism, he's nonverbal and very agressive with his mom, but he's okay with touching and loud noises. The problem is that his mom is not well educated and she really doesn't know where to begin, she knows he needs a diet and he needs to go to therapy but far from that... nothing. I was searching here and there info about autism but I felt like everything I read came from some doctor or teacher who "have a lot of experience with kids with autism", I want to get information from actual people who experience this and knows where to find good articles and resources. Also is someone who have a child with austism, can you with me some advice for her about how to cope and live a healthy life?

My question are:
1. Where to find good information?
2. How to help the kid to feel less anxious?
3. How did you communicate your emotions when you were a child?
4. Experiences with medication at that age
repeat after me: i can and i will. i may not get there right away. i may fail multiple or even hundreds of times. but i am going to pick myself back up and eventually get to the point i want to be at in my life.
dx OCD, GAD and SAD
Mental Health blog: https://idontscream.wordpress.com/
evenlife
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What helped you when you were a kid to feel better?

Postby SociallyAwkward » Wed May 11, 2016 2:45 am

I will answer as good as I can.....

1) no where. There is so little known about autism. Doctors experience in dealing with autistic patients doesn't make them experts on the subject. Best thing you can do is search through multiple sources and not rely on just one.

2) I can't answer this because I'm pretty high functioning. My feelings of anxiousness as a child were mostly due to my surroundings.

3) can't answer this either. When I had a problem I needed to communicate I couldn't turn to my parents. They usually were the problem.

4) my experience with meds is so negative I'm going to stop this post right now..... Do not use medication to sedate him or otherwise stop him from being himself. That's wrong.
SociallyAwkward
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

Postby Cardiac » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:11 pm

evenlife wrote:My mom's friend have a 4 years old child who was diagnosticated with mild austism, he's nonverbal and very agressive with his mom, but he's okay with touching and loud noises. The problem is that his mom is not well educated and she really doesn't know where to begin, she knows he needs a diet and he needs to go to therapy but far from that... nothing. I was searching here and there info about autism but I felt like everything I read came from some doctor or teacher who "have a lot of experience with kids with autism", I want to get information from actual people who experience this and knows where to find good articles and resources. Also is someone who have a child with austism, can you with me some advice for her about how to cope and live a healthy life?

My question are:
1. Where to find good information?
2. How to help the kid to feel less anxious?
3. How did you communicate your emotions when you were a child?
4. Experiences with medication at that age

1. When I was a young child, I was diagnosed and the doctor's just told her to get on with it. They gave no help at all, and just simply told her I would probably never speak or be able to be on my own. But through a lot of hard work, we proved them wrong luckily because I am able to speak with you right now. :D Its definitely not going to be easy, but on the positive note I think nowadays there is a lot more information than there was back then. So lets begin! Get lots of books about Autism or if you prefer websites. There is also many groups on places like Facebook full of parents with children with autism that you would be able to ask. Autism is a very complex thing in a way that it is different for every person, there will be similar traits but every case wont be the same. That's why you can't rely on one source and you have to mix it up a little. If you want to know some good books or websites, PM me and i'll ask my mother and send some to you as I can't remember them on the top of my head.

2. There is a lot of things you can do to make him less anxious. Comfort items work very well. I had a very soft pillow that I would press against my face to and breath deeply alone to calm myself down at home, toy lizard and a doll that I grown attached to. Or my grandmother would wrap me in a blanket and hold me tight there. The secure feeling usually made me relax eventually. These aren't guaranteed to work but they are just suggestions.

Non verbal autism and aggressiveness is very close. If he is anything like how I was like when I was young, he is not angry at you but mostly angry at himself because he can't properly communicate with you to tell you what he wants. Its more frustration than anything else and he is taking it out on the things around him. It will take a lot of patience and understanding.

3. To communicate my emotions was something that my mother struggled with, but she found the emotion cards the most effective way of that and also the best way for her to communicate her emotions to me. As I couldn't look at her and understand what she felt. We would show each other these cards and we would know. For example, if I did something bad. She would show the sad face card then I would know she was upset with me. (etc)

4. I had no experiences with medication as I didn't have any at all.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I am more than happy to help.

-Cardiac.
Cardiac
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

Postby serpand » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:40 am

2 and 3- he should learn an instrument, or painting, or writing, he needs to express himself.Creative hobbies will give him the ability to put outside what he has inside, this is a basic human need and he will get really frustrated if he can't do that.
serpand
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

Postby BlueNailedIcebear » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:25 pm

1. Not sure, my therapists (I've had a lot because they all (but one) stopped after less then a year) gave me and my mother lots of information, but I've learned most of it myself (though it took some time).
2. Plushies helped for me. Like, a lot. At a certain point, I always had a plushie with me to school, and it helped a lot. Of course, I started getting embarrassed about it, but still kept tiny plushies in my pocket. Still do sometimes. (I have my icebear from Ikea on my lap right now!)
Also, in situations with lots of people, leaving the room often helped for me. Taking some time to breathe and clear my head, or talk a bit about something.
3. I didn't know how for a long time. Like, really long. After some time, I would have these "dips" as me and my mother called them, which were days in which I just felt really sad, and then me and my mother would talk about what was bothering me. Now, I mostly talk about my problems when the subject comes up. I can't just tell my mother what's wrong, for some reason.
4. I have cipramil drops, (not sure if you spell it that way,) and they help me to sleep just a little better and make my head calmer. They also help during the cold months, as those are hard for me. I have too little vitamin D (because I don't go outside as often) and during the cold months I get even less, and in those periods it's practically normal for me to get depressed, so that's something you should think about. I have vitamin D pills that I mostly take in the autumn/winter, and the beginning of spring.

Hope this helps! (Little bit late considering when this post was uploaded but that doesn't matter, does it?
BlueNailedIcebear
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Autism Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post