Our partner

i just can't get organised

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

i just can't get organised

Postby EmmaRamone » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:08 am

i don't know if i have ADD but i have a suspicion that i have it as well as my OCD but anyway i thought this was the most relevant forum -

i desperately want to be organised due to my OCD but i just can't. it's like i have 2 forces pulling me in opposite directions. i WANT to get organised so badly but i just CANT..i cant get started. i don't know how. and even if i did, i know i wouldn't be able to maintain it. it's causing me so many probs in my life. i've got anxiety 24/7 worrying about stuff. i wish i could just sort it all out but instead il leave it going on and on and on, increasing my anxiety til it's just this constant feeling i wake up with and have every day and can't get away from.

any suggestions?

-- Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:24 am --

and i keep procrastinating...with some things since february so that's half a year ago almost and every day i have thoughts in my head reminding me i need to do those things but i just ca'nt get started...i'm scared of getting started in case something goes wrong so i just keep putting it off
EmmaRamone
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: i just can't get organised

Postby jasmin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:13 pm

Emma, you could just make one thing your goal, instead of lots of stuff. You could break down the activity into tiny steps that you could do slowly.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sabrdawg » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:37 pm

wow, after reading your "Excess Energy" post and now this one, I think we have a lot in common! I try, try, and try again to be organized, yet it doesn't seem to work. I have no problem coming up with a system, but then somewhere between that point and actually implementing it, something doesn't connect. I have both ADHD and OCD as well, and it's like they feed each other like a neverending cycle, ya know? The OCD gets you in gear to want to be organized, and you get in the zone to obsessively come up with a strategy, but then ADHD comes around and the infamous, "oh, look...a chicken!" phenomenon occurs, and you're back at square one! Hehe XD What has and hasn't worked for you in keeping track of things?
Normal is overrated :D
sabrdawg
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:40 pm

Postby Suicidal-Addictions » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:06 am

I really relate to this, I am a mess and everything around me is a giant clutter. It drives me insane and I am always thinking "Holy crap, this is gross and I need to clean clean clean." Except then I try to start and I get to overwhelmed about how messy everything is and then I begin to lose focus.
Suicidal-Addictions
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:40 pm

Postby CompulsiveTherapy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 pm

I have this problem all the time and it makes me very depressed when I give up on things, especially when I knew I could do well in them, all because I couldn't keep my focus on it. What I try to do is set myself little goals to tackle bigger problems. Clean a part of something one day and clear another one the next and then just that little bit of success - seeing that something is working - gives me the staying power I need to do the rest of it.

If I don't get any feeling of achievement until the end of a project, I often won't tackle it at all... Or at least put it off for as long as I can get away with.
CompulsiveTherapy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby EmmaRamone » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 am

Hey, only just read these replies as i kept checking after i'd posted ages ago but no one was replying so I forgot about it. Funnily enough, i've just this minute posted a procrastination help post, and then that reminded me to check the ADHD forum, and i read this post that id posted a few months back about cant get organised, and it's pretty much saying the same as what i've just posted today. still failing at starting getting organised ad doing my 'OCD' stuff..
EmmaRamone
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby jasmin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Is anyone helping you come up with a way to get more organized?
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Neige » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:03 pm

I realize this topic hasn't received a reply in quite some time, but I figure I might be able to add something to it. The following are some things that I do to try and keep organized:

*Make a list, list your goals in order of importance.
    *Put the list in a place where you will see often, in order to remind yourself.
    *If you can, try and get someone to help remind you, just to get you into this regime.
    *Give yourself a reward once you've either completed all the goals, or the most important goals.
    *Reward yourself along the way.

Hope those help. They're some of the strategies I use to try and keep organized when I'm under a lot of stress.
Neige
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby shotgun pulse » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:19 am

Once again I cannot believe how similar we are wtf?? haha I literally clicked this forum, scrolled through and saw the title w.o realizing it was you.. have the exact same problem.

For whatever it's worth Emma over the past few days I found these:

http://www.raptitude.com/2011/02/everyt ... d-forever/

http://putittobed.blogspot.com/2010/06/ ... edule.html

http://www.2time-sys.com/

http://www.byronkatie.com/doing_the_work/
shotgun pulse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Forum