Our partner

Why Do I Have Problems with Reading?

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Why Do I Have Problems with Reading?

Postby TimelessUtopia » Tue May 19, 2009 3:28 am

I am convinced I have either inattentive type ADHD or dyslexia. Whenever I sit down to read, even something I like, I have trouble concentrating. It takes me so long to read in comparison to other people. I consider myself a fairly good learner, so I don't think being slow has anything to do with a lack of ability to understand what I'm reading. If a passage is straight forward, I can easily comprehend it... but it still takes time for me to do it. If the language is more archaic, or just long and wordy, I can't seem to even retain the basics of what is being described. I drift completely.

I have little to no trouble with spelling, so it doesn't seem probable that I would have dyslexia... but I know it runs in my mom's side of the family. The only reasoning that would lead me to believe that I am dyslexic is that... in the same way that most dyslexic people can't organize either sounds or symbols, I have difficulty comprehending sentences unless it in a simple straight forward order. Sometimes I have to read a paragraph up to three times before being able to piece together what was described, even if I understand what every word meant. Also, when I'm trying to tell people simple stories about something that happened in my life, I have trouble finding the words to tell the story accurately out loud even though I understand exactly what I'm trying to say in my head. Often times people will ask me something, and I'll leave out peices of basic information without even recognizing it.

It has to be something because I was given an assignment that, according to my teacher, should have take an hour to complete. That includes 3 or 4 hand outs,(about two to three pages each) and about 4 text book passages (about 4 to five pages). I just read one of the text book passages written by one of the colonists who settled in America and wrote down the accounts of John Smith and the Native Americans (to give an idea of how difficult the reading was) and it took me 30 minutes to comprehend what was happening. I'm not talking about the deeper meanings, I'm just talking about putting together where people were, who people were, and what they were doing. This is a basic level English class... something has to be hindering my reading ability, when I'm a bit above average as a student, but I'm failing to comprehend as well as the average student.

As you can see, my grammar is pretty good (though I've been told I can be wordy/verbose), but I have trouble putting together thoughts in order to speak well... and I feel like I can't concentrate on reading for very long or put it together. If anyone can point out even the smallest answer or steps to overcome this, I would be grateful.
TimelessUtopia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Wed May 20, 2009 10:58 pm

You know what, I'm in exactly the same situation as you are. I'm 26 now, have excellent grades at college, but I still just cannot concentrate on some things. I could read a paragraph 10 times and still not get it. my mind easily trails-away. There are some sentences, however, that I just cannot interpret at all no matter how hard I try. It's as if the brain cannot form connections between the different parts of the sentence. I have found that a condition called Asperger's Syndrome describes me very well. have you heard of this?

Kevin
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby TimelessUtopia » Thu May 21, 2009 3:08 am

Chucky wrote:You know what, I'm in exactly the same situation as you are. I'm 26 now, have excellent grades at college, but I still just cannot concentrate on some things. I could read a paragraph 10 times and still not get it. my mind easily trails-away. There are some sentences, however, that I just cannot interpret at all no matter how hard I try. It's as if the brain cannot form connections between the different parts of the sentence. I have found that a condition called Asperger's Syndrome describes me very well. have you heard of this?

Kevin

I know a lot about Aspergers because I know a person with this condition. I don't think Aspergers would cause the reading issues. So I assume you've never actually been diagnosed with anything? ADHD or anything?

But what/how do you know about Aspergers? Why do you think it fits you?
TimelessUtopia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Thu May 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi,

The reason why I mentioned Asperger's is because it seems to coincide with ADHD and OCD. I believe that I have Asperger's for many other reasons other than my lack of concentration. The thing is though, I have learned to overcome my reading issues by actively thinking about the problem each time I start to read something. Okay, it's still difficult at times, but I'm improving.

My official diagnsis is depression with anxiety and OCD. I fit all of the symptoms of Asperger's and ADHD though, and my therapist unofficially agreed that I have Asperger's.

Kevin
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby TimelessUtopia » Fri May 22, 2009 4:08 am

Chucky wrote:Hi,

The reason why I mentioned Asperger's is because it seems to coincide with ADHD and OCD. I believe that I have Asperger's for many other reasons other than my lack of concentration. The thing is though, I have learned to overcome my reading issues by actively thinking about the problem each time I start to read something. Okay, it's still difficult at times, but I'm improving.

My official diagnsis is depression with anxiety and OCD. I fit all of the symptoms of Asperger's and ADHD though, and my therapist unofficially agreed that I have Asperger's.

Kevin

That's really interesting, and it would be hard to say without meeting you... but like I said I've met someone with Aspergers before and you'd have to have quite a bit of trouble in the social realm beyond just being not one to be socially fit. Aspergers is like being halfway autistic. Unable to maintain a full real view about the world....
TimelessUtopia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Fri May 22, 2009 8:41 pm

Yes, it's known as 'high-functioning' autism - i.e. we have autism, but can still function in society (most of the time). If you don't believe that you are in any way autistic, then have you got any other ideas about what is causing your ADHD?; or do you believe that it can just occur as a standalone 'illness'? To be honest, I can easily see how it could be a standalone thing, and that it's probbaly due to too much of a certain hormone in the blood.

... ...that said, I read an article yesterday saying that people with Asperger's have heightened senses in everything, and interacting is just too 'over bearing' in this sense. Also, in this sense, you can see how ADHD could fit into this description.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Per_fect » Sun May 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Because you're an idiot.
Per_fect
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Chucky » Sun May 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Per_fect wrote:Because you're an idiot.

What's up, Per_fect?
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby TimelessUtopia » Sun May 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Per_fect wrote:Because you're an idiot.

Yeah
TimelessUtopia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Sun May 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Wrong - You're a superb specimen of a human being, TimelessUtopia. Anyone who has a username like yours can only be a poetically-intelligent person too.

Take care,
kevin
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views