Our partner

super frustrated with ADD and Brain Fog for 10+ years

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

super frustrated with ADD and Brain Fog for 10+ years

Postby kcducttaper » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:49 am

So, ever since I was like 12 (I'm 25 now and 160 lbs), I've not felt like I wasn't normal. Throughout highschool and college especially, I was very suspicious of some combination of ADD, anxiety, and depression. Now that I'm out of college, I really have a difficult time engaging my brain like I know I should be able to for my job and I nearly always feel like my brain is just super tense, halfway there, and can't even hold a conversation without getting lost (even worse if I haven't had my coffee yet). I've gone to a couple psych people and have technically been diagnosed with ADD, anxiety, and depression, but have not been able to find a decent cure yet. We've done all kinds of blood tests and they all come back normal.

I also have high blood pressure, so my doc is very hesitant to try any additional stimulants and my insurance doesn't cover most of those meds anyways. :evil: I have much more if the inattentive symptoms of ADD and I'm not very good verbally, which probably doesn't help the anxiety and depression part so much. Anyways, here is the list of meds I've tried thus far that I can remember (all the generic version):
concerta
wellbutrin
celexa
lexapro
antioxidant pills
ginko biloba
magnesium
whole bunch of other herbal/'natural' stuff you can order from Amazon that people supposedly have good results from

None of these did jack squat. In fact, the only thing that I've found that provides consistent solid improvement in my cognitive function, mood, and brain fog is L-Theanine, which is totally fine until I get used to it and it loses its effectiveness. If it didn't lose its effectiveness, I would totally be fine popping 2-3 pills a day, but after a couple weeks, it wears off.

I don't really know where to take it from here. I almost wonder about checking out sleep apnea stuff since I sometimes have trouble sleeping and need a lot of it (like 9 hours a night), but take a long time to fall asleep and wake up sometimes before morning. I tried taking some zzzquill and, once again, it didn't do squat. I don't really know of any good OTC sleeping pills that aren't just re bottled benedryl (what zzzquill is).

This is getting really old. Even though I've got a 3.0+ GPA in engineering with pretty much no studying or note taking, no debt, a wicked good, highly important job in a massively growing industry and company with huge career opportunities right in front of me; sometimes it gets very tempting to just to give up and go work in an auto shop (I like building stuff and tinkering with things) just so I don't have to battle myself every minute of every day.
kcducttaper
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: super frustrated with ADD and Brain Fog for 10+ years

Postby kcducttaper » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:26 am

I just threw in an amazon order for some L-Lysine and L-Arginine. Just another lame flail at a 'cure'.
kcducttaper
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: super frustrated with ADD and Brain Fog for 10+ years

Postby seabreezeblue » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:26 pm

ouch.. sorry you're struggling with all of this.

The main issue that I see here is the blood pressure.. if you can get that down then you could try out stimulants (bearing cost in mind of course).

What have you tried out to get your blood pressure down a bit..?
and.. have you looked into non-stimulant meds for ADD.?

There's hope out there.. be persistent with your doc and ask for a referral to a psych so you can get some further advice - try and make sure they're familiar with treating patients with ADD/ADHD though.

also, re the sleeping.. have a chat with the psych about that as well..

xx
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (26)

Return to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views