Our partner

Reliable IQ Tests

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Reliable IQ Tests

Postby AspieMe » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi,

Are there any reliable IQ tests online? I have had several psychologists tell me that they think I have a higher than average IQ, I taught myself to read before school, skipped kindergarten, graduated high school two years early and valedictorian, was in an Honor's scholarship program and Honor's Society in Junior College. So I know I am smart.

But I am feeling very dumb at the moment, and very curious. I have taken a lot of online IQ tests, and I know that those are not always reliable, I scored anywhere from around 80 up to 140 on those. I was browsing the bookstore yesterday and saw some "self scoring" IQ testing books, so out of curiosity I got them. They are both telling my I am below average intelligence. I find that hard to believe, but maybe that is just the truth.

Just wondering if anyone knows of anything that is actually reliable, because I'm pretty sure that I am not dumb, I would not have gotten where I did in schooling if I had a low IQ.
AspieMe
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:37 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Reliable IQ Tests

Postby TDT » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:22 pm

I honestly wouldn't put too much weight into IQ tests, in general.

When it comes right down to it, a lot of factors can impact how you do on those tests. For example, when I first took one as a kid I didn't do well. A few years later I took it again and scored much better.

Medication, mental state, what's bother you, amount of sleep, attention, etc..all these can impact how you score on any test, including an IQ test. In the end, no one really cares...and as one professor once told me 90 percent perspiration and 10 percent inspiration to succeed. You can be intelligent, and have no drive and go no where. You can be less intelligent, and have drive and make a difference.

I will say the wild variability on your tests is interesting, though. I've taken it about 4 times about 10 years ago over the course of 1 year. I ranged between 136 and 144 depending on how tired I was, usually.
TDT
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:37 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Supersaneman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:46 pm

AspieMe wrote:I scored anywhere from around 80 up to 140 on those. I was browsing the bookstore yesterday and saw some "self scoring" IQ testing books, so out of curiosity I got them. They are both telling my I am below average intelligence. I find that hard to believe, but maybe that is just the truth.

Just wondering if anyone knows of anything that is actually reliable, because I'm pretty sure that I am not dumb, I would not have gotten where I did in schooling if I had a low IQ.

The discrepancy is probably down to some of them being adjusted for age etc. The IQ tests are very time-limited and you need to think and read very quickly. School-related tests are about skills, memory and writing speed. Completely different traits. I think you could do well in school with only 80 IQ, assuming you either work diligently to get the writing/typing and general skills like math/grammar rules/routines up or have a really accurate memory.
Clozapine 700mg (max 800) and Aripiprazole 20mg (max 30)
Supersaneman
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:37 pm

Postby AspieMe » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Well I dos really well in school, and it came very easily. I did not need to work very hard at it. I am very good reader, that has always been my top subject and my one main obsession.

I am not meaning to sound like I am putting a lot of emphasis on IQ, I'm just sort of curious.
AspieMe
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby slugger » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Sure, it's understandable in your case to wonder about that, when there's such a discripency between tests and between the tests and your reality.
I think what it is is that everyone is smart in different things. Most IQ tests that I've come across are mostly about logic/puzzle solving skills which I happen to be very good at. But if the test asks questions on general knowledge like history and geography, I'm completely doomed.

When I was assessed for ADD and AS, the tests she gave me were on all types of things, and my scores ended up with large differences (I scored excellent on some, terrible on others). She said the difference in scores was an indicator for my diagnosis, that most people's scores are more similar from one section to another.
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid. ~Albert Einstein

It is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart. ~Ghandi
slugger
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:37 am

Postby mystic dolphin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:47 pm

I did an IQ test and it said I was low intelligence. I really don't want to spend my life being stupid.
:(

mystic
[size=85]PTSD HFA BPD Paranoia Dissociative amnesia

Poor concentration + memory so can't reply to long posts and may forget we've spoken. Apologies!
mystic dolphin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 pm

Postby Supersaneman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:16 pm

mystic dolphin wrote:I did an IQ test and it said I was low intelligence. I really don't want to spend my life being stupid.
:(

mystic

Some people are able to live a normal life with like 40 IQ and being retarded. Stupid is mostly being ignorant/amnesiac or having a personality/lifestyle that avoid rational thinking. F ex being impulsive, hurried or following dogma/rules blindly.
Clozapine 700mg (max 800) and Aripiprazole 20mg (max 30)
Supersaneman
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:37 pm

Postby jacobdwc » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:46 am

Iq test solution is useful for the development of your brain.
I periodically decide iq tests.
Here's a site with good iq tests:
http://www.treningmozga.com/tests_iq_en.html

Here you can find explanations of the answers. :D
jacobdwc
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Mellow » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:44 pm

The thing is IQ tests don't really measure intelligence. Just your ability to spot patterns.
Dx: Emotionally unstable personality disorder (BPD)
Mellow
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post