Our partner

Aspergers and Word Association

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Aspergers and Word Association

Postby crr290 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:46 am

Hey Guys!

I'm a recent "self-diagnosed" Asperger (although I have talked to a psychoanalyst who says I'm "probably on the spectrum"). I'm waiting for an official evaluation so that I can stop being so anxious.

I think one of the most interesting things I've been discovering is the way I've been associating words... I was hoping some people who have been diagnosed Aspergers can tell me if this is kind of what they think of...?

I guess that every word I've ever learned has been really based in it's sound. So, for a long time, I didn't associate words like 'congress' and 'congressional', because when I heard them out loud, they sounded differently.

I also never really knew what was meant by "concrete thinking"... I always just kind of assumed I knew... but I realized that I've actually been making assumptions from wordings that aren't accurate. Like when an Autism Quotient quiz asked me "Do you press your eyes or wring your hands when thinking?", I thought it was asking me if I did it INTENTIONALLY... so I never stopped to try and think back to my unconscious habits. I also had very specific ideas of what "eye pressing" and "hand wringing" would look like... so, over the next few days, when I realized that those 'thinking things' I was doing were technically eye pressing and hand wringing, I was rather shocked.

I would love to talk to anyone who knows about this stuff... I think it's so interesting... Thanks!

Chris
crr290
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Aspergers and Word Association

Postby Remi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:56 pm

It's a very interesting topic, but also a difficult one.

I find it hard to answer questions sometimes because i'm not sure what they mean.
I received feedback from a psychologist that i misinterpreted some of her questions.

Your question reminds me of the question if we view colors the same.
Do 2 people see the same color if the both call a chair "purple"?
Or does what one sees as purple look more like green to the other?
Both have learned to call it purple.
But does that mean that they see the same color?

How do you know if a word means the same to you as it does to someone else?

People with ass and people with personality disorders tend to experience some things differently than NT-ers do so they are prone to use and interpret some words differently. And it's quite easy to build a entirely different vocabulary if you interpret a few of society's keywords ((like love) that are used to explain a lot of other words) wrong.
It's possible to have entirely different vocabulary that is coherent enough to go unnoticed by most people.
Then you can talk to someone while you both interpret the conversation entirely different but without any of you noticing it.

For example:
A kid with ass and sensority integration problems hates hugs because they're really painful to him.
But his NT-parents love hugs.
So the parents often hug the kid when they tell him they love him.
For kid the being loved means being hugged and being hugged is being hurt.
So what does the word love mean for this kid?

I also think most words can mean a variety of things to most NT-people.
I think they treat language a bit like the Japanese.
In the Japanese language a word can have a lot of totally different meanings, depending on how you pronounce it.
I think Nt-ers tend to decide what a word means depending context like body language,
the tone of your voice and the situation your talking about.
While most for words actually have a set/specific meaning for most aspies.
Remi
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:20 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post