Our partner

Misdiagnosed with aspergers?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Misdiagnosed with aspergers?

Postby Nuclear Xmas » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:31 am

When I was sixteen my mother proposed to me the idea that I might have aspergers syndrome, based on my difficulty in school and how I dressed and the fact that I could be awkward sometimes. She took me to a psychologist and I got an evaluation that determined I have "some traits of borderline aspergers syndrome". Which bothered me to some degree, even though it was a mild version of a mild version of a severe disorder. I didn't really believe it, although my mother took it as validation and thought it was important that the entire family knows. So every now and then when talking with an aunt or my grandmother, they'll take an opportunity to bring up aspergers or autism, even in situations where it's irrelevant except for the fact that the discussion involves me. Now, because of this diagnoses I was told I should start seeing a psychologist for therapy. Before that I was always kind of cold and uncooperative to psychologists, because, I guess, it seemed like the thing you were supposed to do, at least from the perspective of a young child. Being older I saw it as an excellent opportunity to get alot of stuff off of my chest. A person I could talk to about anything without fear of their judgement and knowing they were forced to respect my secrecy of these matters. So I really enjoyed the rent-a-friend and after a couple visits I asked him if he really thinks I have aspergers. He told me he didn't, that he didn't really see it in me and that he thought I was right. But he was also aware of how much the diagnosis had bothered me. I've told my mom and I've told many of my family members I don't have this disability and that my psychologist has assured me of that. But they don't really take it seriously, they're keen on believing I have this disorder.

Would a psychologist lie for the sake of the patients comfort. Is it possible I could've been misdiagnosed with this disorder? Or should I confidently believe my psychologist when he tells me I don't have aspergers syndrome.
Nuclear Xmas
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Misdiagnosed with aspergers?

Postby Grossenschwamm » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:30 am

You could have been misdiagnosed. Either that, or you used to fit diagnostic criteria, and as you've aged you no longer do.

The odd part about your previous "diagnosis" is that, as you've said, the psychologist said you have some traits of borderline asperger's syndrome. There's no such thing as borderline asperger's syndrome, and that you have "some" traits is equivalent to saying you have quirks. Everyone has some autistic traits, it doesn't mean everyone is autistic. I think your family is taking this way too far. You weren't even diagnosed the first time.
Grossenschwamm;
Better than chocolate.
Grossenschwamm
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:32 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Nuclear Xmas » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:41 am

Grossenschwamm wrote:You could have been misdiagnosed. Either that, or you used to fit diagnostic criteria, and as you've aged you no longer do.

The odd part about your previous "diagnosis" is that, as you've said, the psychologist said you have some traits of borderline asperger's syndrome. There's no such thing as borderline asperger's syndrome, and that you have "some" traits is equivalent to saying you have quirks. Everyone has some autistic traits, it doesn't mean everyone is autistic. I think your family is taking this way too far. You weren't even diagnosed the first time.

I've always questioned how a borderline version of something that's already a mild version of something could even exist. But I can directly quote the results from my evaluation in saying it's mild or that I share some characteristics, or something along those lines. It's possible I'm just going by what my mom said, which very well could've been wrong or inaccurate, but I really just wanted some assurance in the fact that a psychologist wouldn't lie to a patient about their mental state. I feel if I could do that I could silence my family, especially my mother. She doesn't really bring it up around me anymore but I know she still believes so and probably tells anyone who she thinks should know or knows me. That's something that I feel is very important to stop, I don't want her altering my interactions with people. And I don't want that to be the basis of how people interact with me, like I'm just, "that guy with aspergers". Since I've stopped seeing my psychologist and wouldn't know how to contact him it'd be difficult to get him to back me up or assure my mother I don't have this disability.

But I think you're completely right about that. Just because someone does something strange doesn't mean they've got some problem. I can look back to alot of the things I used to do that led to the diagnosis and assumption I have this disorder and remember I had reasons for doing that kind of stuff, and that it was almost a choice. And especially since I've grown out of it by now. I feel it was just stupid behaviour from when I was a teen.
Nuclear Xmas
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby TDT » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:13 am

Nuclear Xmas wrote: I feel if I could do that I could silence my family, especially my mother. She doesn't really bring it up around me anymore but I know she still believes so and probably tells anyone who she thinks should know or knows me. That's something that I feel is very important to stop, I don't want her altering my interactions with people. And I don't want that to be the basis of how people interact with me, like I'm just, "that guy with aspergers"

I may have missed this, but have you talked with her about this? A diagnosis of Aspergers doesn't mean you're a freak. I've only been recently diagnosed, and very little of my family/friends knows about it. I don't really care to tell people or anything. I got along just fine, this many years as just having my quirks (from my family perspective). While they perked their eyes a few times wondering where I went off to, it hasn't really been an issue.

Nuclear Xmas wrote: Since I've stopped seeing my psychologist and wouldn't know how to contact him it'd be difficult to get him to back me up or assure my mother I don't have this disability.

This should be relatively easy to find out. Obviously, finding out from your mother is probably the easiest. If that's not possible, then trying to remember what hospitals you've been to helps. If you can trace things down, you can simply call the hospital and ask about inquiring about your medical record. At the university I go to, all our stuff is online..so I can log in and view my records that way.
TDT
Moderator: Consumer

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby danny606 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:10 am

Many of these diseases are related to each other. First they said I had schizofrenia. But after some conversations with the psychiater I said I don't have hallucinations or voices (at least not other than my own) and after a while he said I was psychotich vulnerable. What does that mean ? I still don't know.
I've been doing my own research and as good as everything about Asperger syndrom relates to me.
So the chances are very high me having Asperger, + 95%.

According to the psychologist there was absolutely nothing wrong with me, just a selfish personality and introvert. She also said medication was not what I need, what a #######4. Without medication I wouldn't be here anymore. Just to say, some so called psychologists don't know what they are doing/saying. A psychiatrist is better qualified to deal with these diseases.
danny606
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:32 am

Postby TDT » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:54 pm

As I understand it, there are no real drugs prescribed for AS - but for other afflictions related to AS. No drug really makes one more sociable or less blunt or selfish. For the obsessions, and the problems concentrating, there are drugs for those if things get out of hand.

So you may have AS, but you probably have other stuff too as well.

Personally, I really am against medication of any kind. I've taken enough in the past, and pretty much have had a lot of issues with anything I took. Any more, I avoid it. For the attention thing, I have various GTD things I'm trying...it doesn't help in meetings/class, but still working on that. For anxiety, I'm just knowing myself enough to avoid the situations that cause anxiety issues and using meditation and supplements to help me out. All in all, it's been working fairly well. I'd love to get the attention thing under control, though.
TDT

Postby Nuclear Xmas » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:31 pm

I feel if I could do that I could silence my family, especially my mother. She doesn't really bring it up around me anymore but I know she still believes so and probably tells anyone who she thinks should know or knows me. That's something that I feel is very important to stop, I don't want her altering my interactions with people. And I don't want that to be the basis of how people interact with me, like I'm just, "that guy with aspergers"

I may have missed this, but have you talked with her about this? A diagnosis of Aspergers doesn't mean you're a freak. I've only been recently diagnosed, and very little of my family/friends knows about it. I don't really care to tell people or anything. I got along just fine, this many years as just having my quirks (from my family perspective). While they perked their eyes a few times wondering where I went off to, it hasn't really been an issue.

I've had numerous conversations with her. She usually doesn't bring it up or anything, but I can tell she's just playing along whenever I say I don't have it. Like, she could just bring up something aspergers related to something I'm doing, like for instance, last year I started eating strictly organic food, her response to this was, "Yeah, many parents with children who have autism often put them on organic diets because it helps", when I bluntly told her, "I don't have aspergers.", she just kind of brushed off my statement

This should be relatively easy to find out. Obviously, finding out from your mother is probably the easiest. If that's not possible, then trying to remember what hospitals you've been to helps. If you can trace things down, you can simply call the hospital and ask about inquiring about your medical record. At the university I go to, all our stuff is online..so I can log in and view my records that way.

To be honest, at this point she just kind of goes along with what I have to say, but that doesn't stop her from thinking otherwise, and won't make her enlighten my family onto the fact of the matter. It would be nice if I could do that. Would it cost money, because that's something I don't really have at the moment.
Nuclear Xmas
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby TDT » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:46 pm

Nuclear Xmas wrote:I've had numerous conversations with her. She usually doesn't bring it up or anything, but I can tell she's just playing along whenever I say I don't have it. Like, she could just bring up something aspergers related to something I'm doing, like for instance, last year I started eating strictly organic food, her response to this was, "Yeah, many parents with children who have autism often put them on organic diets because it helps", when I bluntly told her, "I don't have aspergers.", she just kind of brushed off my statement

eh? That's the first I heard of organic having much to do with Autism. I personally eat quite a bit of organic stuff (or at least heavily clean off my foods, and eat a lot of raw stuff) because I feel it's overall healthier..and just makes me feel better. I don't think it's an Autism thing...or if it is, that's the first I heard about it.

I think the thing you need to bring up to your parents is "why does it matter?" if you have AS or not. From what you've said, she's very convinced you have it and for some reason just wants to spread it around...almost like it's some twisted badge of honor or something. Maybe you could go about it a different way, and simply ask her not to mention AS to anyone, be that friends, or family, ever.

There's a thread about how AS apparently is seen as being the "In thing". Maybe this is an example of that...first time I've heard/seen it happen to someone if it is. Maybe point her to that, maybe she needs to think of your feelings over hers in this regard.

Nuclear Xmas wrote:To be honest, at this point she just kind of goes along with what I have to say, but that doesn't stop her from thinking otherwise, and won't make her enlighten my family onto the fact of the matter. It would be nice if I could do that. Would it cost money, because that's something I don't really have at the moment.

Kinda depends, actually. If you have health care, under your parents name, then you may be able to be seen for free or for very little. When I went in, it was the first time I've ever been to a psychiatrist before, and I haven't received a bill at all for what I went through. Maybe the official diagnosis will help...but maybe not either.

One thing that also may help change her mind is well...from a logical point of view, ask her why she cares one way or the other if you have AS. Secondly, research AS on your own. Take the Aspie-quiz (but be honest in taking it), empathy quiz (again be honest in it), and come up with a checklist of how you may or may not have it. This is essentially what I did for my diagnosis...I spent about 4-5 hours the night before preparing this way, although I had a heck of a lot of anxiety going into the meeting too.

Overall, from what I've read of what you said so far, it comes down to that she's very misinformed about AS in general. Regardless of if you have it or not, it appears that she's more interested in the status of it for some reason. I've read...way too much on AS before I ever was seen and it wasn't a badge of honor or anything for me to get diagnosed. In fact, it really didn't change anything for me. It may not for you either, if you are getting along fine regardless if you have it or not. Not everyone is so lucky. One person I know, who has AS, is in that situation. She's very, very confused about her situation and it causes stress for her...but I think that may come down to other factors that aren't worth discussing.
TDT

Postby Nuclear Xmas » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:04 pm

eh? That's the first I heard of organic having much to do with Autism. I personally eat quite a bit of organic stuff (or at least heavily clean off my foods, and eat a lot of raw stuff) because I feel it's overall healthier..and just makes me feel better. I don't think it's an Autism thing...or if it is, that's the first I heard about it.

I think the thing you need to bring up to your parents is "why does it matter?" if you have AS or not. From what you've said, she's very convinced you have it and for some reason just wants to spread it around...almost like it's some twisted badge of honor or something. Maybe you could go about it a different way, and simply ask her not to mention AS to anyone, be that friends, or family, ever.

There's a thread about how AS apparently is seen as being the "In thing". Maybe this is an example of that...first time I've heard/seen it happen to someone if it is. Maybe point her to that, maybe she needs to think of your feelings over hers in this regard.

I don't believe she thinks less of me for it. She probably told everyone just because it'd help them understand certain things about my character. I doubt it was for any malicious or inconsiderate reasons. And the family just kind of rolls with it. I spoke to my mother today and she seemed to understand where I was coming from. My biggest issue is that it seems she's done nothing to quell the beliefs she set into our family regarding this issue. My sister might also be a big factor but I won't get into that.

Also, alot of artificial food additives, especially food dyes, have been linked to autism in children and young adults. It would explain why it's becoming such a prominent issue in society and why so many people without autism are having children with the disorder. I usually try not to preach but I'd highly recommend looking into the things you're truly consuming. The bright colors and sweet flavors in alot of the foods you eat aren't just the result of corporate magic.

Kinda depends, actually. If you have health care, under your parents name, then you may be able to be seen for free or for very little. When I went in, it was the first time I've ever been to a psychiatrist before, and I haven't received a bill at all for what I went through. Maybe the official diagnosis will help...but maybe not either.

One thing that also may help change her mind is well...from a logical point of view, ask her why she cares one way or the other if you have AS. Secondly, research AS on your own. Take the Aspie-quiz (but be honest in taking it), empathy quiz (again be honest in it), and come up with a checklist of how you may or may not have it. This is essentially what I did for my diagnosis...I spent about 4-5 hours the night before preparing this way, although I had a heck of a lot of anxiety going into the meeting too.

Overall, from what I've read of what you said so far, it comes down to that she's very misinformed about AS in general. Regardless of if you have it or not, it appears that she's more interested in the status of it for some reason. I've read...way too much on AS before I ever was seen and it wasn't a badge of honor or anything for me to get diagnosed. In fact, it really didn't change anything for me. It may not for you either, if you are getting along fine regardless if you have it or not. Not everyone is so lucky. One person I know, who has AS, is in that situation. She's very, very confused about her situation and it causes stress for her...but I think that may come down to other factors that aren't worth discussing.

We used to, that's the only reason I was able to see him. When I turned 18 and my insurance expired my visits to him stopped. It was nice having my tuesday afternoons back and I felt I'd gotten all I could from him but I do still kind of miss him sometimes. I think her intentions are noble, and she's not really bad about it. All I want is to be able to properly convince her, as well as the rest of the family otherwise.
Last edited by Nuclear Xmas on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuclear Xmas
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby TDT » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:25 pm

We used to, that's the only reason I was able to see him. When I turned 18 and my insurance expired my visits to him stopped. It was nice having my tuesday afternoons back and I felt I'd gotten all I could from him but I do still kind of miss him sometimes. I think her intentions are noble, and she's not really bad about it. All I want is to be able to properly convince her, as well as the rest of the family otherwise.

Are you in the U.S? If so, your insurance may extend out further than 18. I'd look into that...mostly because you shouldn't be without health insurance anyways. You never know when something major will happen, and having health insurance available is really useful...I know it can be kinda expensive, but it's quite important.

In regard to your mother, the aspie-quiz and empathy quiz may help with this a bit. But...if she's doing it to help you, then maybe this isn't such a bad thing? Maybe just ask her not to try helping so much.
TDT

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post