Our partner

Boyfriend with Aspergers facing losing his job

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Re: Boyfriend with Aspergers facing losing his job

Postby Alana675 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Bad news and hopefully good news....
First, he was terminated from our place of employment today. They used the paperwork as a reason, saying that he put the wrong patient name on a form. He didn't argue the point and politely left the building after turning in the company phone. Unfortunately they never knew he had aspergers, or any problem that was interfering with work. Had he told them in the beginning I do not kow that it would have mattered. I do agree with you Zausel, it is a business world. I think however, he would have done better had we not inherited the new manager that we have.

Good news is that he has been working with his therapists, they have steered him in the direction of a state funded program for people with mental and physical disabilities. He should have an appt with them by next week. They work with whatever limitation you have to find employment suited for the person. They also work with the employer to ensure that the environment is working well.

So, like I told him, one step at a time. He's coping quite well right now, I think just letting go of the stress of the job was a huge relief although he loved what he did. And amazingly this has brought he and I closer together too. :D
Thanks again....Alana
Alana675
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby zausel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:51 am

Alana675 wrote:Bad news and hopefully good news....
First, he was terminated from our place of employment today. They used the paperwork as a reason, saying that he put the wrong patient name on a form. He didn't argue the point and politely left the building after turning in the company phone. Unfortunately they never knew he had aspergers, or any problem that was interfering with work. Had he told them in the beginning I do not kow that it would have mattered. I do agree with you Zausel, it is a business world. I think however, he would have done better had we not inherited the new manager that we have.

Good news is that he has been working with his therapists, they have steered him in the direction of a state funded program for people with mental and physical disabilities. He should have an appt with them by next week. They work with whatever limitation you have to find employment suited for the person. They also work with the employer to ensure that the environment is working well.

So, like I told him, one step at a time. He's coping quite well right now, I think just letting go of the stress of the job was a huge relief although he loved what he did. And amazingly this has brought he and I closer together too. :D
Thanks again....Alana

thats good to hear. Just keep in mind that when one door closes, another opens somewhere. Possibly a golden door, maybe a creaky old door, but take opportunities as they arise. You never know, that creaky old door may lead to a golden door encrusted with diamonds.
This sloth doesn't understand the statement.
--Zausel, Camelidae requested.

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"
-- Mark Twain
zausel
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:31 am

Postby Alana675 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:04 pm

Just to update everyone, my boyfriend went to the EEOC in our city, (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). He told them that he had informed two supervisors in our company that he had aspergers and had documented testing of his learning disability. The two supervisors had said they would "work" with him. He was sent home under suspension, and not contacted for 8 days to let him know what was happening with his job. That and he was never given a written warning prior to this that there was a problem with his paperwork. The representative at EEOC said given that information, he has a case for discrimination and they are going to attempt to file a suit against our company. Whether or not it will be successful is another story. He has been very depressed, still waiting for the Rehabilitation institute to get him in so they can start helping him find suitable employment. He feels as if he is unable to succeed at anything at this point. I am standing strong by his side and doing my best to be supportive.
Alana
Alana675
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:31 am

Postby Camelidae » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:25 pm

Now that´s at least something, isn´t it? Hope it goes well for the two of you. How is his child doing?
"If you're using half your concentration to look normal, then you're only half paying attention to whatever else you do. Just pointing out something that could save your life. You want society to accept you, but you can't even accept yourself.", from X-Men: First Class
Camelidae
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Previous

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post