Our partner

Strange gait?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Strange gait?

Postby Camelidae » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:49 pm

Read about this before so to keep me busy I thought I´d ask about it. Do you have what others would call a "strange gait" -- whatever that would be?

Can´t say I have it. I feel stiff, clumsy and slow around some people (strangers mostly or when around many people all at once). But that´s just shyness then, I guess.

-Camelidae
Behind every tree is a cutting machine and a kight fallen from grace
behind every man is a heart of sand, you can see it in his face
as he tick tick tick tick tick tick ticks away, another second lost with every fallen grain
he'll tick tick tick tick tick tick tick away, another second lost with every fallen grain
Camelidae
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Strange gait?

Postby neal88 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:52 am

I don't know--when I look at my reflection in windows as I walk by, my gait does look slightly odd, but I've always attributed that to the fact that my legs are twice as long as my torso.

I have noticed that my feet land fairly flat when I walk, while I've noticed at least 80% of men I see have this heel bounce that I personally hate and find to be a sign of arrogance.
neal88
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Postby Grossenschwamm » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:40 am

Since I was in marching band about 10 years ago, I've adopted that as my gait. I roll-step. I also count my steps in groups of 8. Makes me a very quiet walker, and I've scared many people this way. Makes me laugh. It doesn't necessarily look odd unless someone watches my feet.
Grossenschwamm;
Better than chocolate.
Grossenschwamm
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:38 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby leiladream » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:21 am

The last two guys I liked, would refer to the way I walked, and told me I walked very stiff and rigid. I figured the stiffness was neck injuries from motor vehicle accidents I had when I was younger, so I just told them it was because of that. I still have neck stiffness. I move very slowly and carefully, because I'm trying to avoid falling or tripping. I sometimes bump into things really hard and I bruise easily. I'm pretty awkward when I move around. I keep my arms very close to my body.
leiladream
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:38 pm

Postby Camelidae » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:40 am

leiladream wrote:I move very slowly and carefully, because I'm trying to avoid falling or tripping. I sometimes bump into things really hard and I bruise easily. I'm pretty awkward when I move around. I keep my arms very close to my body.

Yeah, that´s what I meant when I said around others I am stiff. When alone and in an ok mood I walk like Jack Sparrow. I´ve gotten comments about running into things and generally being too loud when walking often, also fallen and tripped a lot as a kid, so now I try to avoid those (the comments funny enough, not even the falling).

Thanks for the replies. :)
Behind every tree is a cutting machine and a kight fallen from grace
behind every man is a heart of sand, you can see it in his face
as he tick tick tick tick tick tick ticks away, another second lost with every fallen grain
he'll tick tick tick tick tick tick tick away, another second lost with every fallen grain
Camelidae
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby positivelyportrayed » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:58 am

Yes, I've had a few comments over the years too, but I've never actually noticed my walk being different from anyone else's, although I have made a big effort to make sure I am walking normally when a comment has been made!

I've been told I can stand "oddly" too, but then again I have a bad back and it is sore to stand for long periods, so this is what I tend to put it down to!
positivelyportrayed
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:38 pm

Postby ChaoDer » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Assuming 'Gait' is way of walking:

I walk how I walk. I get told it's weird. So damn what. I walk rhythmically. All the damn time :D
ChaoDer
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby zausel » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:53 am

Not that Im aware of. I can sometimes feel uncomfortable and "feel" like Im moving strangely, but Ive never had any comments. I can usually save myself when tripping or stumbling. I get more comments on my save than the amount of tripping itself.
This sloth doesn't understand the statement.
--Zausel, Camelidae requested.

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"
-- Mark Twain
zausel
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:38 pm

Postby Equinox » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:11 pm

If you mean walking then both yes and no.

Outside when I walk with shoes on my feet then I walk normally, but inside when I only wear socks then I have a sneaking way of walking, its like it is a mixture of walking on my toes and walking very carefully like I step on something fragile.
Equinox
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Amik » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Yes, I apparently have a very strange gait. Many people have commented on it and many people stare at me when I walk (my appearance is not unusual, so I assume it's my gait that attracts this attention). The fact that both my father and spouse can always recognize me by my gait from half a mile away despite not seeing my face, recognizing my clothes or expecting me to be at that place at that time pretty much confirms that my gait is very unusual.

I don't know exactly what it is about my gait that makes it so unusual though, or why my gait is so different.
Amik
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post