Our partner

Strange gait?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Strange gait?

Postby Camelidae » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:49 pm

Read about this before so to keep me busy I thought I´d ask about it. Do you have what others would call a "strange gait" -- whatever that would be?

Can´t say I have it. I feel stiff, clumsy and slow around some people (strangers mostly or when around many people all at once). But that´s just shyness then, I guess.

-Camelidae
The nurse I work with asked me to write down what I want. I want to recover from Borderline Personality Dirsorder.
Camelidae
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Strange gait?

Postby neal88 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:52 am

I don't know--when I look at my reflection in windows as I walk by, my gait does look slightly odd, but I've always attributed that to the fact that my legs are twice as long as my torso.

I have noticed that my feet land fairly flat when I walk, while I've noticed at least 80% of men I see have this heel bounce that I personally hate and find to be a sign of arrogance.
neal88
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:00 am

Postby Grossenschwamm » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:40 am

Since I was in marching band about 10 years ago, I've adopted that as my gait. I roll-step. I also count my steps in groups of 8. Makes me a very quiet walker, and I've scared many people this way. Makes me laugh. It doesn't necessarily look odd unless someone watches my feet.
Grossenschwamm;
Better than chocolate.
Grossenschwamm
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:00 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby leiladream » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:21 am

The last two guys I liked, would refer to the way I walked, and told me I walked very stiff and rigid. I figured the stiffness was neck injuries from motor vehicle accidents I had when I was younger, so I just told them it was because of that. I still have neck stiffness. I move very slowly and carefully, because I'm trying to avoid falling or tripping. I sometimes bump into things really hard and I bruise easily. I'm pretty awkward when I move around. I keep my arms very close to my body.
leiladream
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:00 am

Postby Camelidae » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:40 am

leiladream wrote:I move very slowly and carefully, because I'm trying to avoid falling or tripping. I sometimes bump into things really hard and I bruise easily. I'm pretty awkward when I move around. I keep my arms very close to my body.

Yeah, that´s what I meant when I said around others I am stiff. When alone and in an ok mood I walk like Jack Sparrow. I´ve gotten comments about running into things and generally being too loud when walking often, also fallen and tripped a lot as a kid, so now I try to avoid those (the comments funny enough, not even the falling).

Thanks for the replies. :)
The nurse I work with asked me to write down what I want. I want to recover from Borderline Personality Dirsorder.
Camelidae
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby positivelyportrayed » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:58 am

Yes, I've had a few comments over the years too, but I've never actually noticed my walk being different from anyone else's, although I have made a big effort to make sure I am walking normally when a comment has been made!

I've been told I can stand "oddly" too, but then again I have a bad back and it is sore to stand for long periods, so this is what I tend to put it down to!
positivelyportrayed
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:00 am

Postby ChaoDer » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:05 pm

Assuming 'Gait' is way of walking:

I walk how I walk. I get told it's weird. So damn what. I walk rhythmically. All the damn time :D
ChaoDer
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby zausel » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:53 am

Not that Im aware of. I can sometimes feel uncomfortable and "feel" like Im moving strangely, but Ive never had any comments. I can usually save myself when tripping or stumbling. I get more comments on my save than the amount of tripping itself.
This sloth doesn't understand the statement.
--Zausel, Camelidae requested.

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"
-- Mark Twain
zausel
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:00 am

Postby Equinox » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:11 pm

If you mean walking then both yes and no.

Outside when I walk with shoes on my feet then I walk normally, but inside when I only wear socks then I have a sneaking way of walking, its like it is a mixture of walking on my toes and walking very carefully like I step on something fragile.
Equinox
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Amik » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Yes, I apparently have a very strange gait. Many people have commented on it and many people stare at me when I walk (my appearance is not unusual, so I assume it's my gait that attracts this attention). The fact that both my father and spouse can always recognize me by my gait from half a mile away despite not seeing my face, recognizing my clothes or expecting me to be at that place at that time pretty much confirms that my gait is very unusual.

I don't know exactly what it is about my gait that makes it so unusual though, or why my gait is so different.
Amik
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post