Our partner

Auditory Processing Disorder in Aspergers Syndrome

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Auditory Processing Disorder in Aspergers Syndrome

Postby J.D.C » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:02 am

I am just posting to ask a question that had been on my mind for a while now. Just to let you know, I have been diagnosed with Aspergers, and even though it has been explained to me I thought that I would ask: Can you have both Aspergers Syndrome and Auditory Processing Disorder as separate disorders?

I know that people with Aspergers can get symptoms of having Audiotry Procesing disorder; it's been explained to me that having some symptoms is appart of having Aspergers. However I feel that the symptoms of APD are alot worse then other people I know with Aspergers and I thought to ask, can you have both Aspergers and APD?

One of the main reasons that I feel so anxious about talking to people is that I fear that I will not understand them; literally - like not understand even a single word that they say. Some days I'm good and I can understand, others however it seems that nearly word said comes off as being something then what it really is.

I am finding it hard to cope with it, it's just been getting worse as I have gotten older and I have had this problem a long time. I always need someone around just so they can talk for me and so that if I don't understand what is being said then they might.

I feel terrible for avoiding people that I used to know quite well and even worse when I don't understand a word that they say. I can ask them to repeat what they said, I know, but most of the time no matter what - I will not understand the second time or even the third, fourth or fifth time. It makes people think I am being ignorant or deliberately rude and it's even harder for me to explain that....that I can't explain why I can't understand them.

As I said I feel that this is too bigger inconvenience in my live than to blame it on Aspergers and do nothing about it. I was just hoping that someone might be able to tell whether this is normal in Aspergers or whether I might simply have both disorders. Is there anything that I can do about it? It would be a big help and I'd be grateful to anyone that can help me out here. Sorry the post is so long by the way. :oops:
J.D.C
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Auditory Processing Disorder in Aspergers Syndrome

Postby petrossa » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:54 am

Auditory processing problems are actually quite common with Aspergers. Myself i only have it to light degree, but still often i hear only garbled noise if someone speak to me in a noisy environment.

I guess no-one ever thought to test for it in Aspergers so now they believe they don't have it. But i've read several other people here describing auditory problems whilst having a perfectly good functioning hearing.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:10 am

Postby FredOak3 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:16 pm

I drove my wife nuts because at times I can't understand her or others in different environments and in some case can't hear them at all.

I've had my hearing tested twice and I am completely in the normal range. I just got finished readin a book on As and they mentioned where in some surroundings the person with AS my simply not recognize anything that is being said to them.
FredOak3
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:10 am

Postby J.D.C » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:22 am

Thanks for replying guys :)

Seems common in Aspergers to have A.P.D symptoms then; I was just hoping that there was something that I could do about it. I guess that I'll have to put up with it. Good to know that I am not the only one that gets frustrated with it though. It can be a pain.
J.D.C
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby katana » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:31 am

i don't think you have to (just) put up with it - you coukd always tell them youi've been listening to lots of loud music and can't hear too well, or just explain it as your hearing isn't great, so separating out speech from the background noise isn't so hard? - or if you know them better, just explain it as part of your AS...?
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:10 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Amajanshi » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:52 am

I suspect I may have (Central) Auditory Processing Disorder to some degree, but I'll have to get it assessed by an Audiologist in the future.

Sometimes when people are talking, I hear "oh blah blah gezuzaza beila balla" etc etc, especially when I'm not looking in their direction. There have been times when I asked them to repeat what they said, but some of them don't bother, so I'm like "forget about them then" (in my mind).

Unfortunately there's no actual treatment for it (IIRC), and that you mostly use compensation strategies such as partially reading lips or requesting accommodations to use more written information, not verbal.
aamsio.blogspot.com - An Asperger Medical Student in Oz
Amajanshi
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby petrossa » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:25 am

Amajanshi wrote:Sometimes when people are talking, I hear "oh blah blah gezuzaza beila balla" etc etc, especially when I'm not looking in their direction. There have been times when I asked them to repeat what they said, but some of them don't bother, so I'm like "forget about them then" (in my mind).

Exactly that. I've read this frequently in relation to AS it seems some additional symptom of it. My wife had send me to the eardoctor to have my ears examined, she thought i was going deaf. Perfect hearing, so.....

My father, also AS, has it too. But by now he is really deaf :mrgreen:
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby EchoJorj » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Wow, you guys just made me realize I have this problem too! It's especially a pain when I'm running a karaoke show, and there's loud music, and people are signing themselves up or asking me questions. I'm so frequently asking almost everyone to repeat themselves. As if it's not bad enough that my short term memory is so bad that by the time they finish telling me what song they want to sing, I've already forgotten their name. :shock: Why do I love this job?? :lol:
-EchoJorj
"I remind myself of someone I almost met at a party I never went to."
"Whoever said nothing's impossible never tried slamming a revolving door."

http://meshboats.tumblr.com
EchoJorj
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:10 am

Postby Amajanshi » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:47 pm

I really wish there was some sort of technology that could allow us to see "subtitles" or "speech bubbles" from other people's speech in real life, and in real-time.

Even when I watch movies, I always switch on subtitles if it's available coz it makes it much easier for me to comprehend what the movie characters are saying. I often end up reading the sentences faster than I comprehend (through hearing).
aamsio.blogspot.com - An Asperger Medical Student in Oz
Amajanshi
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby petrossa » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:15 pm

Same here. Luckily all our movies/documentaries/news are subtitled since forever. I frequently react already before my partner has processed the auditory information and she is an NT. Annoys the crap out her. :P
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post