Our partner

Pure 'O' (purely obsessional OCD) and AS

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Pure 'O' (purely obsessional OCD) and AS

Postby EBR » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:39 am

Is it possible for someone to have this form of OCD and still have Aspergers? I ask this because I really dont feel compelled to perform any 'routines', though there are a few minor things (non time specific and not necessarily situational) I feel the need to do, but hardly what I would call a compulsion. I mostly have overbearingly persistant thoughts that can be are triggered from the most minut thing. Anyone else have this form of OCD?
To put your life in danger from time to time... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.
— Nevil Shute

I would recommend a solo flight to all prospective suicides. It tends to make clear the issue of whether one enjoys being alive or not.
— T. H. White
EBR
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Pure 'O' (purely obsessional OCD) and AS

Postby Chic Geek » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:05 am

I don't have that OCD feeling either. The only OCD thing I do is attach to this or that. Like facebook games for a month or so. I did attatch to the Sims for a while and then attach to facebook games when i realized it I canceled my account. I was obsessed with finding out what was "wrong" with me but I don't think posting here could be considered OSD.
Chic Geek
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby petrossa » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:31 am

Anything is possible i guess. Is it prevalent? Don't think so. AS doesn't include OCD as diagnostic criterium. We have routines, and are upset if disturbed. But we can choose to NOT do them. With OCD you don't have that option.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Postby TNSe » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:44 am

Most of my OCD's are actually helpful to me. The only time OCD's are nearly detrimental is when I start doing things in a game that don't help towards completing the game. I remember catching souls in soulstones in Morrowind until the house was filled up by these rocks.
TNSe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Postby EBR » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:01 pm

petrossa wrote:Anything is possible i guess. Is it prevalent? Don't think so. AS doesn't include OCD as diagnostic criterium. We have routines, and are upset if disturbed. But we can choose to NOT do them. With OCD you don't have that option.

Forgive me but I do not understand; arent these 'routines' OCD? Isnt the later bit OCPD?

-- Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 am --

So I re-read the criteria, and indeed it says nothing about OCD; I suppose I assumed these 'routines' are OCD; not OCPD...
To put your life in danger from time to time... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.
— Nevil Shute

I would recommend a solo flight to all prospective suicides. It tends to make clear the issue of whether one enjoys being alive or not.
— T. H. White
EBR
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby petrossa » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:30 pm

The devil is in the details. For some it may well be practically 'pure' OCD, for others hardly so. Again the scatter-graph analogue, The cloud of AS centers around point on the vector but it's still a cloud.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby EBR » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:03 pm

petrossa wrote:The devil is in the details. For some it may well be practically 'pure' OCD, for others hardly so. Again the scatter-graph analogue, The cloud of AS centers around point on the vector but it's still a cloud.

I quite agree with you but I did find this bit interesting; DSM IV:

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

I translate this bit as one is not required to have 'routines' but must atleast have one of the other requirements; is my logic flawed to think this?
— Nevil Shute

— T. H. White
EBR
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby petrossa » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:28 pm

Your logic is impeccable. :mrgreen:
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby EBR » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:21 pm

:D
— Nevil Shute

— T. H. White
EBR
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Joolz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:39 pm

Yep, I've got a diagnosis for both AS and pure O.
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me all at once.
Joolz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum