Our partner

Aspie memory & reading improvement techniques needed

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Aspie memory & reading improvement techniques needed

Postby Rocketman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Does anyone have any tried and proven memory & reading improvement techniques that they would recommend for the adult Aspie? Please advise. Thanks. :)
Rocketman
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Aspie memory & reading improvement techniques needed

Postby malikshreds » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:08 pm

I think it has more to do with how you think and what type of memory you have.
Like I have filmographic memory and a little photographic memory.
What I find that helps with me is exercise. Everytime I exercise I notice my filmographic memory improve.
As for ways to improve it, I guess what you could do is practice with it everyday. For example, I look at something for a little bit then 30 minutes later I try to remember it. As I'm writing this, I remember the image I saw yes. A candle fire moving.

Also, there's books on these types of things. They can help out a lot also in nutritional ways to improve it.
malikshreds
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:03 am

Postby sunstone » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:37 pm

It depends on what you have to remember. For me, I have to read a lot of things that I don't find particularly interesting but I need to remember the salient points.

I use the same method that I used for examinations: reduce down to notes and then into diagrams.

It is much easier if you are interested in the subject but, even then, dates, references have to be recalled so having a system is usually necessary.

For everyday things, I use my phone to remind me. Last week I forgot to attend two meetings because I left my phone at home. But, again, they were two meetings I had been coerced into attending which I really didn't want to go to anyway.

As for reading, I don't know how to advise you on that. I read extremely fast so I probably don't read each and every word of a sentence but I am not consciously aware of how I manage to read as fast as I do.
Petrossa wrote:

Imagine you have a blueprint for a sewage system. The blueprint is ok, but unfortunately it's for another city....
sunstone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:03 am

Postby Rocketman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Thank you for your reply.

After a conducting a great deal of research, I recently came to the conclusion that I'm an Aspie (I scored a 40 out of 50 at http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html). Since I'm 56, relatively successful (married, raised a family, employed full-time), it's a little late for me to begin spending money to confirm my self-diagnosis. Throughout my life, I've had trouble with short-term memory, i.e., remembering names, birthdays, telephone numbers, dates and times of events, shopping lists, specific lists of items, etc.; however, I'm good at remembering faces and experiences that I had from long ago (usually embarrassing or unpleasant ones that I'd rather forget). When taking exams, I score high on multiple-choice questions, but poorly on essay or listing questions. My life is full of post-it notes and email that I don't delete because I'm afraid that I'll forget to do something or I will need to refer to it later (which I frequently do). I use 3x5 cards or notes whenever I'm forced to make a presentation or speak to a group in public because I have difficulty delivering impromptu speech or remembering the points that I need to cover. I originally thought that joining of Toastmasters might help, but I dropped out after receiving critiques that I was speaking in monotone and reading too much from my cards. I have a good job and am successful at work, but my notepad is my companion, wherever I go.

I've tried memory books, courses & nutritional supplements over the years, but nothing seemed to work. I'm open to new ideas & suggestions from this forum. :)
Rocketman
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby petrossa » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:21 am

Rocketman wrote:I've tried memory books, courses & nutritional supplements over the years, but nothing seemed to work. I'm open to new ideas & suggestions from this forum. :)

We are in the same spot 56, relatively well partnered, living off my revenue. Did the whole shebang also. The nutritional compounds did help for my retentive memory, but that was already quite good.

I don't know how if this is just me, but the memory issues i have are related to lack of focus. Because our apsie brains switch context all the time and memories are stored in context, as soon as our attention shifts the context is lost and memory retrieval is harder.

I've yet to find a workable solution other then trying staying in context. For example if i am wlaking holding something i remind myself everytime i have something in my hand. Other wise it'll just drop from my hand since i forgot i had it.

Also my partner is my memory backup now. Often when i'm standing perplexed why i am standing there she calls out to me what i was supposed to be doing.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:03 am

Postby csanon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:41 pm

I am 31, and the only thing I have found to work directly is having a task list and schedule linked to my email accounts. Google and Microsoft Outlook both have decent ones. Otherwise I totally get sidetracked and forget stuff.

I also believe that forgetting things impromptu may be due to the anxiety from being put on the spot, but that is of course a whole different issue
csanon
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby ljg666 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:56 am

I guess I will be echoing what some others have said but this is biggy for me as well. My attention span for 99% of activities is less than a minute. I think you'd have to be hugely interested in finding out some useful techniques and applying them else the motivation wont be there (so neither will be the focus) and it will become another unfinished task/hobby.

What Petrossa said makes sense to me about context switching and I doubt this could actually be changed. I think the best you can hope for is somehow manipulating the switches to (or back to) what it is you're trying to do. I dont know of any techinques for this though or even if they exist.

I used to lecture to undergrads and spent a lot of time researching/preparing materials and Im sure it used to take me 20 times longer to plan one one hour lecture than other staff members for these reasons (of course I may just be "thick" as well).
ljg666
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby petrossa » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:05 pm

The only way i manage is to keep the tightly focused on what is currently at hand. Apart from being very exhaustive, if someone grabs your attention it's gone.

Been at it for decades now, and indeed there is no realistic solution that i haven't tried without success. (lot's of double negatives there, what a phrase. Can't figure out if i actually say what i mean to say here :? )
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Rocketman » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:41 am

Thank you. I greatly appreciate everyone's input. My best regards to all. :)
Rocketman
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby petrossa » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:03 am

Score. We rock.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post