Our partner

Obsession with collecting things.

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Obsession with collecting things.

Postby funkenstein91 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:55 am

Does anyone else have this issue? I love to play video games, but ever since I got my first job back in high school, I've been obsessed with accumulating more and more games to the point at which I have a ton of them I haven't even played. I'm not sure if this is really my AS at work or if I'm like most others and like to collect things.
funkenstein91
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Obsession with collecting things.

Postby petrossa » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:50 am

i don't know if this is AS or not. I just know that i can't throw anything away. Not so much collecting, but rather hoarding.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:11 pm

Postby MeELC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:52 pm

What you do with video games I do with CDs and DVDs. I'm pretty proud that only once have I bought a CD I already owned. There are a bunch of them I haven't listened to yet / watched yet.

I like to think of it as collecting, because I only buy good stuff (I have great taste :wink: ) but I think it's more of a hoarding problem. Yeah. In every other aspect of my life I'm a bit of a hoarder too. I have a hard time throwing stuff away. My place isn't that cluttered though because when I moved across the country last year, I just threw away or gave away about 1/3 of my belongings. It felt really good.
MeELC
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:11 am

Postby deadlife » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:21 pm

i have a hard time throwing things away as well, i recently bought an alarm clock to replace a broken one back in December and the old one still sits next to my bed. i think i get attached to my possessions and this is why i dislike giving them away/selling or throwing them out. i collect zippo lighters (and only zippos no matter how nice another brand may be) i have bought about nine of them in roughly 2 yrs, i would buy more but they are about £25 each and the shops in my area don't sell a large variety of them so there aren't always ones i want.
I have a life, but do i live it?
deadlife
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:11 pm

Postby Marv » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:01 am

I have one with making things. I make things out of notebook paper. When I don't want it no more, I either turn it into something else or just trash it then. I just do that. I always was good with my hands. I don't see it as a bad thing at all. I make my own figures, devices, and whatever comes to mind. In fact, now I am making my own Ranger Keys from the new series, Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. Instead of well, making one of all 35 teams of rangers, I only choose one from my favorite teams.
Marv
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:11 pm

Postby Lyra » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:42 am

The closest thing I have to a collection is DVDs. I love movies. My lack of money has prevented me from buying any more right now.

I still have a lot of junk. But, I have become more liberal about trashing things. On the same line, I have become more vocal about past experiences/memories that would have embarrassed me in the past to reveal. There's something liberating about 'letting go' of some things. You do it and the world still goes on.
Lyra
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby BlackMask » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:43 am

(Computer lost my post somehow, so I'm redoing this in short form)

I tend to hoard things, even things I don't need (reciepts for fast food, gas) or items I've found but have no use for (screws and the like). It's kinda tough for me to throw things I could potentially need or use away (I usually need my mother to come in and point out something is unnecessary to get rid of it). I can (and do) throw things away, I just tend to hold onto a lot more than I need to.

Thank god I don't have money, because I would amass a stupid amount of things in my tiny room.
We all wear masks, every day, every where. The difference is that I can't take mine off.
BlackMask
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:11 am

Postby AspieArt » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:18 pm

I see some confusion between collecting and hoarding as someone else already noticed. Hoarding may be relevant to some folks here but certainly not a requisite part of having Aspergers. Collecting seems to be a manifestation of what we are interested in personally, I am fascinated by watches and cars, so my collections tend to revolve around miniature car models, car books, etc. Collecting tends to be much more focused, and often has an end point, ie: "I only need three more to complete the set." Hoarding tends to be less about the item and more about the pursuit or acquisition (my thoughts only, not a medical statement).

Yes I collect, no I don't hoard.
AspieArt
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby petrossa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:30 am

In that case i don't collect, nor do i feel any urge to. In fact the inverse. One item of a kind suffices, i wouldn't want to have more.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:11 pm

Postby JayRayTee » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Yes, I collect things just as I collect information on my favorite subjects.
JayRayTee
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:11 am

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post