Our partner

Having Aspergers and getting ill through arguments

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Having Aspergers and getting ill through arguments

Postby unknownquantity » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:03 pm

I recently became ill for one day (I felt unable to think straight and became paranoid) after having a major argument at work. I actually enjoyed the argument on one level and afterwards felt energised. However that evening I felt really stressed and by the next day I felt quite ill. Although I was able to carry out my work duties, but quite impaired.

I discovered I had aspergers about one year ago. I have been in my present job for 6 years. Looking back I feel I have suffered prejudice for 'being different at work. Recently I have started to stand up for myself more, hence this argument.

It is a funny thing that I have never been so exposively angry in my life. I have always admired other people who can get so angry and wondered what made me so calm and in control.

Is it generally the case that getting really angry can make an asperger person ill????
unknownquantity
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Having Aspergers and getting ill through arguments

Postby memyself » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:18 am

Getting really angry certainly wipes me out afterward. And Ive certainly had my share of meltdowns, especially when I was younger. Either because of too much stimulus or when I am unable to comprehend what someone is saying b/c I'm taking their comments too literally and missing their point. If they exactly repeat themselves without answering my questions (questions to help me out of the comprehension stall), I'll get angry. Even today.

Ive never had a specific paranoid episode though I will sometimes get into suspicious moods. That's probably just normal though.
memyself
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:03 am

Postby TNSe » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:33 am

It happens to me too. Not sure if its AS or just me hating conflict.
TNSe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sunstone » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:59 am

Wipes me out too - will always have a 'shutdown' as a consequence. I try not to express my anger - some anger can be constructive because I find it can drive me to do things such as, work longer hours if I have something to deal with and/or come up with good ideas if someone has made me angry over their proposals - guess it gives me the adrenaline I need.

But, emotional anger and outbursts - not good for me. I don't find it constructive to either me or the other person and if it means I have to shutdown afterwards, then my brain/body is also telling me that this is not productive.
Petrossa wrote:

Imagine you have a blueprint for a sewage system. The blueprint is ok, but unfortunately it's for another city....
sunstone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:03 pm

Postby petrossa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:04 am

Same here. Depending on the ferocity of the argument i can be destabilized for days. Comes with the territory i guess :(
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:03 pm

Postby xxAlex » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:48 am

Anger, negative confrontation and arguments make me feel ill too. And I get irritated and angry too easily which is not good. I tend to shut down, have a headache, feel disorientated and destabilised like my head is all over the place afterwards. I usually need to sleep a lot if I get very angry. As Petrossa said, depending on the ferocity of the argument it can last for days.

I often get ill from not being able to express myself as accurately as I wish and feel misunderstood during arguments.
xxAlex
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post