Our partner

Dogs vs. cats

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Dogs vs. cats

Postby Kostmayer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:24 am

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here, but am I alone in my dislike for dogs? Is this a "me" thing or is it an Aspie thing to want to avoid these loud, territorial, drooling creatures?

Cats, on the other hand, all seem to have Aspergers. Which is cute. (Unless you're an NT male, then you probably find such traits to be distasteful.)
Kostmayer
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Dogs vs. cats

Postby JazzGuy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm the complete opposite. I hate cats... they give me the creeps lol. Dogs are cool though. I think I may have just had bad cats in the past, but, whatever the case, I really don't like cats.
JazzGuy
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Aquariuswithfire » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:58 pm

Dogs remind me of NTs - easily and mindlessly doing what they are told without thought. Cats are definately aspie, considering all angles of any situation before engaging in anything that might be out of 'the rut'. The exception of course is when a cat gets something in its head that it MUST do irregardless of the consequences...I have 3 cats - 2 Siamese and a 22 pound Siberian Forest cat. All male.
Aquariuswithfire
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:06 pm

Postby sunstone » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:36 pm

For me, it's dogs every time.

Dogs like me too. Even very fierce, vicious types roll over for me.
Petrossa wrote:

Imagine you have a blueprint for a sewage system. The blueprint is ok, but unfortunately it's for another city....
sunstone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:06 am

Postby jmjelde » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:43 pm

Dogs need good manners, and then they're wonderful. Cats are great all the time. Reptiles are better than both.
jmjelde
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby van vandervan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:45 am

I love cats and dogs. Cats because they give me a laugh. My cat can be doing the dumbest thing imaginable and look totally serious while doing it.

Dogs because they offer some of the greatest companionship that can be found in this world. I go walking with my dogs through the woods occasionaly, and it's always a very tranquil time.
van vandervan
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Kostmayer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:20 am

I could probably live with a peaceful Bassett hound or a trained Labrador retriever. Apart from those and a very few others, though, most dogs seem to rub me the wrong way.

On the flip side, I've seen so many cats who have been poorly raised, been cooped up indoors since birth, been ignored, been over-indulged and over-stimulated by crazy cat ladies...so that they turn into maladjusted, live-under-the-bed ingrates within the first year. But, when properly cared for, I think cats can be a very good choice for Aspies. :D
Kostmayer
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby phoenixknight » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:34 am

We have a dog and cat. I have to say that I prefer the dog to our cat just because he is more loving and caring than our cat is and not as dirty or annoying as the cat is! I can usually tell how he is feeling by how he reacts and what he is doing. He is very expressive to us and is quite good at conveying what he is trying to say. Our cat on the other hand is pretty much lazy, sleeps and eats all day long.

But, overall, I think I prefer cats. Most of them when they are grown up are nice and cosy and can be very loving and considerate. I really like kittens and think they are REALLY cute. Especially when they meow, so adorable :oops: I would like to have a kitten and let it grow up with me so that it got to now me in a more intimate way than our cat did as she was a stray we adopted, or rather she adopted us by coming into our house! I am not sure which one I prefer, dogs are nice, but a little too rough for me. Cats are more relaxed and refined. I think I would like a cat overall
"And they tell me there are people who are normal, but I don't know what they look like because I have never met one. And neither have you, so why not compare yourself to real people instead?" (Weird? at www.Viruscomix.com)

Signature subject to change
phoenixknight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:06 am

Postby Los4Muros » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:03 am

I simply hate walking on the street with no sounds and then all of the sudden a damn dog barks at you and jumps on the fence making even more noise and destroying that peace you have. Wen that happens, for the rest of the way I'll be mad. Small dogs are OK and they're cute when they try to bark, but the big ones just make too much noise, hate them.

And yes, cats are a lot more interesting. Even Edgar Allan Poe expressed that great feeling for them and even wrote teh Black cat. Haruki Murakami also loves them. Cats are always quite and very very clean. But I guess sometimes cats don't really make you feel being alone most of the time, but dogs do, always. Anyway, I prefer cats.
You Are My Best Friend, You Are My Only Friend
Los4Muros
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Postby petrossa » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:12 am

I love all animals. Had cats, dogs, fish, birds. I wanted to take a cute minipig but my partner put her foot down :(
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:06 am

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post