Our partner

Do you talk to your self out loud?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Do you talk to your self out loud?

Postby GHCM » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:02 am

For some time now i have noticed that sometimes i say out loud my thoughts.(as if i were having a conversation with myself) . It really doesnt matter if im alone im my room or in a bus with 20 other people.... Thing is that whenever it happens i really dont realize until im actually doing it .. Hahahaha.....Does anyone relate to this behavior???
GHCM
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you talk to your self out loud?

Postby mepoohe » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:51 am

Yes! I do this a lot actually. Sometimes I actually talk to myself as if in a conversation with myself. Other times I just say my thoughts out loud instead of thinking them.

Has anyone ever been saying something to another person, maybe say, about something you will do, and instead of referring to yourself as I, you refer to yourself as we, in the plural? I noticed a long time ago that I do this (not all the time though), and thought I need to pay attention not to do it, as I might seem weird like multiple personalities, but then again, I am a twin, so maybe that's why I refer to myself in the plural a lot. Sometimes if I notice myself do it I will actually apologize and say that I'm a twin and tend to speak in plural (not sure if that's the reason, though I don't say that, but it's a possibility and as good an excuse as any!). Anyone else do that?
mepoohe
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:14 pm

Postby JazzGuy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:58 am

Not at all. I actually experience quite a bit of anxiety when talking to myself. That is I don't do it because I'm afraid someone will walk in and think im nuts. Recently I had to give a speech and I was afraid to practice in an empty house even though I knew nobody would be home for hours. Kind of weird actually, I know its irrational, but I know my social anxiety is irrational as well, and that does nothing to lessen it.
JazzGuy
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby petrossa » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:29 am

yep, although now i address my dog. Doesn't make any difference but at least my partner doesn't think i'm talking to her.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:14 pm

Postby shock_the_monkey » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:40 pm

yes, and without realising it too.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Postby Robe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:41 am

My father talks out loud. I believe he literally thinks out loud. I've noticed that I have a tendency to mouth/whisper thoughts and I can see myself talking out loud in the future.

mepoohe wrote:Yes! I do this a lot actually. Sometimes I actually talk to myself as if in a conversation with myself. Other times I just say my thoughts out loud instead of thinking them.

Has anyone ever been saying something to another person, maybe say, about something you will do, and instead of referring to yourself as I, you refer to yourself as we, in the plural? I noticed a long time ago that I do this (not all the time though), and thought I need to pay attention not to do it, as I might seem weird like multiple personalities, but then again, I am a twin, so maybe that's why I refer to myself in the plural a lot. Sometimes if I notice myself do it I will actually apologize and say that I'm a twin and tend to speak in plural (not sure if that's the reason, though I don't say that, but it's a possibility and as good an excuse as any!). Anyone else do that?

I do this, in referencing my parents I usually say "our" because I have a brother. Now I try to say "my" mother/father to sound less strange. I also say "we" sometimes instead of "I".
Robe
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby ultracasual » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:54 am

Yes

My grandmother even thinks out loud!

Completely within the boundaries of normal behavior
"Even the earth itself has dark times, and she always has something helping her to expose the light."
ultracasual
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:14 pm

Postby mepoohe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:35 am

mepoohe wrote:Yes! I do this a lot actually. Sometimes I actually talk to myself as if in a conversation with myself. Other times I just say my thoughts out loud instead of thinking them.

Expanding on what I posted earlier. Sometimes when talking to myself, I'll refer to myself as us, like, "Maybe tomorrow we can go here or there", or, "We probably shouldn't do that". It's almost like I am my own team, my own friend, or something like that. Hard to explain. I in no way feel like there's more than one of me, it's sometimes I guess just comforting to say we and us, like I'm my own personal friend (and sometimes my own VERY worst enemy). I think it's more when I've been feeling isolated and alone in the world. Not so much anymore do I do it, but I have a lot in the past, and I tried to figure out why. I think it boiled down to it felt good, comforting, like I had a team, or a "partner", or a friend. Something like that. Not aloneness...
mepoohe
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby jmjelde » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:24 am

I'll practice conversations with people out loud. Sometimes I'll repeat a particular word or phrase five or six times. Not sure why I do it, but I think I'm listening for tiny changes in inflection to figure out how it goes together. I do know that I sometimes say things out tha I am thinking without realizing it. This is never, ever, ever good....
jmjelde
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Marv » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:28 am

I've done it much of my life. It's done me more harm than good. I get cussed at when I do. I usually talk about what's on TV or what I think about something. This is one cause of much of the stress of my life. I can't stop doing it either.
Marv
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post