Our partner

Work ethic

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Work ethic

Postby TOOLfan » Sat May 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Some weeks I will work 70 hours a week and not even be phased by it. I think part of it is that most of my extra hours come from the golf cart shop where I usually work alone. I will get so absorbed sometimes I won't even eat lunch even though I am hungry. Ill work 12 hours straight on a saturday and/or sunday and enjoy every (well almost every) bit of it. Same thing if my friend who owns the transmission shop call and needs me on a weeknight to R&R a transmission, even after I worked all day installing fences (which honestly I could do without, but that's my fulltime job currently), ill always jump right at the offer for extra work, and end up working 12-14 hours on some weekdays. Can anybody else work nonstop like this and enjoy it? I have a feeling this might be a common thing amongst aspies. (Well off to work :) time to go fix golf carts all day, I think I have an engine rebuild today :D )
Back for a bit

[Cool quote missing]
TOOLfan
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Work ethic

Postby BankManagerJay » Sat May 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Me too!

I sometimes go in on my days off unpaid and work 14 hour days and love it! Such a Freak!
BankManagerJay
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:03 pm

Postby sunstone » Sat May 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Most people say I am a workaholic and are usually amazed at the amount of work I can get through. However, I believe I am quite a lazy person because I know I am capable of much more.

I can read documents very fast and I think that helps. I also find it difficult not to help anyone else so I will always pitch in if someone is struggling to complete a project or something. However, to be entirely truthful with you, I get very bored with the majority of the work I must do and would much rather be pursuing my own interests elsewhere.

I imagine if I was doing something I completely loved I probably would never leave the office!
Petrossa wrote:

Imagine you have a blueprint for a sewage system. The blueprint is ok, but unfortunately it's for another city....
sunstone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Postby Chucky » Sat May 29, 2010 8:50 pm

Yes, I am very much the same. I don't see the weekends as days off and usually go into the lab to do something once every weekend. I view having to go home in the evening as a nuisance too, and would prefer to just have my bed in the lab. Technically, I am allowed to literally stay there 24/7, but i think people would see me as more weird than I am. I have a very high work ethic though, and my supervisors and lecturers of the past have noticed this. I tend to work without taking breaks, and in the past I've had to be reminded to take lunch.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby TOOLfan » Sun May 30, 2010 3:51 am

So who all works alone? And who feels as though they can get so much more work done when left to work alone, provided you know your job well?

Chucky:

That made me laugh, have your bed in the lab, but I know what you mean, wake up, brush s**t shower shave, and right into the next room to work, it would be nice.... My friend who owns the transmission shop I work at part time has his shop right at his house ...I envy that

I don't take breaks either sometimes. Sometimes I'd prefer to keep working rather than stop and eat and "break my stride"

Topaz

Yea everyone says the workaholic thing about me too, with 3 jobs and all, but I enjoy both my part time jobs so thoroughly that I would work an extra 40 hrs per week between those 2 on top of my regular 40hr work week at the less desired fulltime job... People say "man ur gonna kill yourself working so much", but I like working so much..... Hell, I worked 10 hours at the golfcart shop today, then my buddy at the transmission shop called so I gladly went in and put in 4 hours there. Its like I can't get enough

You will find your desired job one day, what would you like to do for work as compared to what you do now? I can't say much though, because I seem to fall into your "capable of more, but lazy" scenario. Lazy in terms of finding "that" job I guess ....I think I'm somewhat afraid of jobs where too many people work there....being able to "fit in" with the rest of the crew...if I didn't lose my license I could work at a golfcart dealership and make $30 an hour....but I almost don't want to work at a dealership because I dislike having too many coworkers ....so I'm stuck, lol. That's why I want my own business.... Ok I'm stopping here
Back for a bit

[Cool quote missing]
TOOLfan
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby sunstone » Sun May 30, 2010 9:21 am

Primarily I think I would like to work for myself - have a studio/office attached to my house or something like that so not that far removed from what we have all been saying I guess.

Big question would be what I could do to earn a living. My dream would be writing or having some kind of internet based company selling art.
Petrossa wrote:

Imagine you have a blueprint for a sewage system. The blueprint is ok, but unfortunately it's for another city....
sunstone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Postby MeELC » Sun May 30, 2010 3:21 pm

I am with topaz on this one. I have good work ethics but I think I am lazy. Actually, maybe not lazy but I need to be challenged and have something to do at all times otherwise I get bored and distracted. I love my current job and pull a lot of overtime for free, my boss has to tell me to go home. He also says to stop asking for his permission when I need to take a break...
MeELC
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:03 am

Postby Chucky » Sun May 30, 2010 7:35 pm

TOOLfan wrote:I don't take breaks either sometimes. Sometimes I'd prefer to keep working rather than stop and eat and "break my stride"

Matthew Wilder created a brilliant song by that title ('break my stride').

MeELC wrote:He also says to stop asking for his permission when I need to take a break...

Similar thing with me... ...I ask permission for when I want to leave early, but i'm reminded that I'm a student and can leave whenever I want (I'm just expected and trusted to get the work done in my own time). However, I try to get in for 8.30AM each day and sometimes stay until 6 or 7PM (with only a 30 minute break!). I must admit though that some days I might only go in for 3 hours and then leave.
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MeELC » Mon May 31, 2010 12:51 am

I have a similar "schedule" to yours, Kevin. I usually get in at about 7:15 and leave around 5 or 5:30. I take a short break to go get food and then eat while working.
MeELC
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:03 am

Postby TOOLfan » Mon May 31, 2010 3:36 am

Is this the song Chucky?

http://vuclip.com/w?cid=42840873&p=0&z= ... 1198&frm=w

Listened to it, I think I've heard it before, its pretty good, but I like my classic rock and 90s rock (I'm kinda narrowminded when it comes to music)

MeELC, I always get sh!t from the guy who owns the golf cart shop if I'm in the house and ask permission to eat something.... He gets mad, he says I do not need to ask permission, eat whatever I want....to this day, I still sometimes ask if I can have this or that (and I've been there 4-5 years). They (him and/or his wife) always have to keep asking me if I'm hungry yet and if I want a break yet, cuz ill just work work work and not even thiink of food. Ill go all day with no break, like today, I worked from 11-7 nonstop, no lunch, nothing ...but then I pigged out when I went to my parents house after work (they cooked out....lots of leftovers)

One thing that differs from you guys is that I never work for free..... But that's probably cuz you guys get paid salary, so overtime is *your* time ....right?
Back for a bit

[Cool quote missing]
TOOLfan
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views