Our partner

Do you drop things a lot?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Do you drop things a lot?

Postby sunstone » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:55 am

For most of my life it has been a bit of a standing joke that it isn't safe to give me expensive glass objects because I either drop or bump into something and break it.

I bought new wine glasses for Christmas (about 20) and I realise that I only have 2 left. I also brought back stuff from holidays abroad and tried very hard to be careful but most of it has been smashed.

I am the same with my laptops - keep dropping them and have to replace them. I get so frustrated with being so clumsy - I have dropped things in supermarkets too which is really embarrassing when they have to make an announcement for someone to come with a mop and bucket to clear up the mess.

I am not sure if it is a problem with failing to recognise distances/space properly or just not concentrating.

Is it just me?
Petrossa wrote:

Imagine you have a blueprint for a sewage system. The blueprint is ok, but unfortunately it's for another city....
sunstone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you drop things a lot?

Postby 13243546 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:18 am

Only one clear answer from me a self diagnosed one, and that is from me a clear Yes. I am terribly clumsy, I drop things, at work I fear this the most. At home we lose glasses and plates, and I walk into things.
Also I have problems with not knowing where to start, what to do first,in what order to do things. Unless I have an unfailing system. I waste too much time pacing around because of this.
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Chucky » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:59 pm

Clumsy is the best word to describe this - yeh - and I'm the asme. Considering that I'm in a science lab a lot, being clumsy can be dangerous. I burned my hand very badly a fear years ago while burning magnesium in pure air. I clumsily hit the pan which it was burning in and the powder (burns at over 100 degrees Celcius) spilled onto my hand. It melted away skin, fat, and muscle. I nearly set myself on fire too, and nearly set a bottle of pure alcohol on fire too - that would have been a disaster.

Topaz, maybe you should get a desktop instead of a laptop... (joke)

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Postby sunstone » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:06 pm

Chucky wrote;

lol.... I would probably find a way to break that too! I imagine it is difficult to not be clumsy in a lab with all the equipment and would be dangerous for you. It is hard not to be clumsy though isn't it? Some days are worse than others.
Last edited by sunstone on Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petrossa wrote:

Imagine you have a blueprint for a sewage system. The blueprint is ok, but unfortunately it's for another city....
sunstone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Quasar » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:48 am

Well, I'm not super clumsy, but I do break things sometimes... I've broken plates, glasses and a few other non-glass things as well mostly, I just knock things over. For instance, I'll be trying to reach for something that's behind something else, and in the process of reaching for it, I'll knock the thing in front of it over. I always seems to knock spices out of the cabinet while trying to find something too. Which is bad, some some of that stuff is in glass containers, which have hit the floor a few times. Yet to break though. The glass is pretty thick apparently. :P I do tend to run into walls and tables and everything else too, even in my own house. Mostly when I am in a hurry or not paying attention though. For me, I think it is both a visual/spacial thing and a lack of paying attention.
Quasar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:47 am

Postby 13243546 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:56 am

Chucky wrote:Clumsy is the best word to describe this - yeh - and I'm the asme. Considering that I'm in a science lab a lot, being clumsy can be dangerous. I burned my hand very badly a fear years ago while burning magnesium in pure air. I clumsily hit the pan which it was burning in and the powder (burns at over 100 degrees Celcius) spilled onto my hand. It melted away skin, fat, and muscle. I nearly set myself on fire too, and nearly set a bottle of pure alcohol on fire too - that would have been a disaster.

Kevin

Ouch!
God, I would be paranoid. Feel for you. :shock:
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Chucky » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:26 pm

Quasar, which spices do you use the most? I use paprika, chinese-5-spice, thai lemon grass, chilli powder, and one that is known just as 'mixed' spice. I use lots of herbs too, such as basil, thyme, sage, etc. They are generally in tough, small glass bottles and shouldn't break.

In relation to what we're all talking about here, do any of you suddenly drop things out of your hands if you're carrying them? For example, you're carrying a pen in your hand but you kind of forget that it's there and it just drops straight to the floor.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:

Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sunstone » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:55 pm

Chucky wrote:
In relation to what we're all talking about here, do any of you suddenly drop things out of your hands if you're carrying them? For example, you're carrying a pen in your hand but you kind of forget that it's there and it just drops straight to the floor.

Yes I do that a lot too. I even do it with a handbag/shopping bag. I also 'miss' the table with my coffee cup sometimes and end up tipping it all over me (so embarrassing) :oops:
Petrossa wrote:

sunstone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Chucky » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:02 pm

Hmm, that's triggered some memories - i.e. when you mentioned the coffee spilling. Anyway, I did this 'dropping' thing again today: I was attending a course about protein expression and I had a pen in my hand. Before if fell to the floor I managed to realise that I had again just lost complete consciousness and was 'floating' in my mind; and the pen very nearly dropped on the floor. i listened to what the gguy was saying during this course but, as is typical for us, it went in one ear and out the other. It takes aconscious effort to do everything.
psychforums.com rules:

Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Quasar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:05 pm

Chucky wrote:Quasar, which spices do you use the most? I use paprika, chinese-5-spice, thai lemon grass, chilli powder, and one that is known just as 'mixed' spice. I use lots of herbs too, such as basil, thyme, sage, etc. They are generally in tough, small glass bottles and shouldn't break.

Kevin

Lol, yeah... I have been known to do that... That's actually how some of the things I've broken got broken in the first place... just me being clumsy... :oops:

I use more domestic sort of spices, I suppose. I also use a mixed spice; its in a grinder bottle, a blend of several different pepper varieties and some other things like allspice and coriander. I have another blend which I think is just various peppers and is in a shake bottle. I also use a chili/red pepper and have some other stuff for if I do crab/shrimp boils, etc. :D Liquid Smoke is a fav of mine if I do meats.

As far as herbs, etc... I don't a lot of sages(though i suppose I could..), but I do use a lot of fresh onion and pepper varieties in my food. I'll eat them raw too, yummy. Red/green onion/bell pepper are probably the four I use most, though I do use garlic, lemons, jalapenos and tomatoes, etc sometimes. I like onions because it tends to draw out any dirt or contaminants that may be in the food(think beans), as well as add a little something to it, flavor wise. It goes in pretty much everything too... Garlic has a similar effect but it easier to overdo.
Quasar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:47 am

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post