Our partner

Any meds to help with noise sensitivity?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Re: Any meds to help with noise sensitivity?

Postby vickivicki » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:14 pm

Well, I brought up my son's use of medicinal marijuana on another thread...not sure I mentioned how it has helped with his sensory integration problems, but it has[along with his Tourettes. neurological pain, ADHD, depression, lack of creativity etc] Not a miracle, but for our family, pretty darn close. If you do try it, make sure that you are using a type that would aid rather than hinder you. The 2 main types vary significantly.
vickivicki
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:50 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby vickivicki » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:14 pm

Well, I brought up my son's use of medicinal marijuana on another thread...not sure I mentioned how it has helped with his sensory integration problems, but it has[along with his Tourettes. neurological pain, ADHD, depression, lack of creativity etc] Not a miracle, but for our family, pretty darn close. If you do try it, make sure that you are using a type that would aid rather than hinder you. The 2 main types vary significantly.
vickivicki
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:50 am

Postby plicketycat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:16 pm

I also have major noise (and visual) sensitivity, as well as sensory integration and synesthesia problems. Ear plugs and shooter's earphones help for some things, but they sometimes make me anxious because I can't hear threats either (I'm hypervigilant due to C-PTSD).

Anti-depressants and anti-anxietals did absolutely nothing for my hypersensitivies, and some made them worse. The only meds that ever helped were low-dose Benzos because they sedate your entire system and help reduce the impact of stressors on your body as a whole. Since my hypersensitivities create a vicious feedback loop when I'm stressed, being able to take a pill that just calms me down helps enormously... but I only take them when things get really bad, or I know I'm heading into a difficult situation, because Benzos can be addictive and habit-forming over time.

Desensitization therapy was a complete failure. I simply have to get away from the noise, it's the only thing that works. The longer I'm away from massive amounts of noise, the more I can cope with the occassional loud situation because I'm not totally stressed out to begin with. I've never found that being away from noise made me more sensitive. The sensitivity levels remain the same regardless, just may ability to cope with them changes... the longer the break I get, the more reserves I have to deal with them when I have to. Being inundated with sound all the time means I'm stressed out all the time, and when I'm stressed out I can't cope with the noise as well... it's not that I actually become more sensitive to the noise itself.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --- Andre Gide

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde
plicketycat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:50 am

Postby huzun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:19 pm

In the past, I have tried to "immunize" myself to inorganic sounds by renting apartments that were right next to a road. Unfortunately, not only did it work but it actually only served to heighten my sensitivity to these types of sounds. I often fantasize about living in the middle of nowhere, i.e. a cottage in Iceland, or Lapland, Finland. This fantasy is difficult to materialize in the U.S. with its explosive 310 million population (and growing by the day).
huzun
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:50 pm

Postby plicketycat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:02 pm

It's difficult to get out in the middle of nowhere, but I managed it :) We bought land in Interior Alaska, and (currently) our nearest full-time neighbor is 2 miles away. Even if other land owners near me decide to move in, I still have a pretty decent chunk of my own land between mine and theirs and fully intend to keep as deep green belt of trees around the perimeter to block sight and sound (as well as really thick walls on the house). Right now, the only noises I have to deal with on a regular basis are wind, a problem unto itself, and some of our equipment (chainsaws, ATV, etc). Every now and then, you might hear a particularly loud truck go by on the road a little over a mile away, or a small bush plane fly overhead. During hunting season, you can sometimes hear gunfire, but that's usually not very close.

It's HEAVEN -- and I highly recommend to anyone with sensory hypersensitivity and a desire to live in the boonies to do everything in their power to find a situation like mine. It isn't easy, but with persistence it is possible. If I had known what a difference quiet solitude would make to my health I would have done everything in my power to do it decades ago.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --- Andre Gide

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde
plicketycat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:50 am

Postby huzun » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:20 pm

Oh, how fortunate you are! Alaska sounds so appealing. Yes, quietness makes all the difference in the world. Living in the city is akin to being bludgeoned to death. Seriously, that is how noise makes me feel. Perhaps Temple Grandin put it best when she said sound sensitivity was “like being tied to the rail and the train's coming.”
huzun
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby huzun » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:24 pm

VickiVicki,

I've also tried marijuana, I can't say it helped a great deal. I am not opposed to it, but certainly wasn't the 'miracle' drug. I am not sure if anxiety drugs would be better than marijuana.
huzun
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Previous

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post