Our partner

Aspergers Syndrome and Marijuana

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Aspergers Syndrome and Marijuana

Postby Hammerskull666 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:27 pm

Hey, my name is Paul. I'm 21 years old and I have Aspergers Syndrome.

Growing up, my Mom put me on lots of different medications that usually didn't work. The intent of the medicine was to help me focus in school, but at the same time, they would make me really depressed and heighten my anxiety. However, after I got into college, I found that the one drug that DOES actually help Aspergers is Marijuana. I started smoking pot when I was 19. For about a year, it was just a social thing for me. I would do it at parties every other weekend. After a while, I started losing interest in drinking but I grew more fascinated with pot. I eventually bought my own pipe and started buying my own weed regularly. Also, in the past year or so, I've bought a bong, bought a one-hitter, and learned how to roll joints. I gotta say, getting stoned has helped my Aspergers in many ways.

1 - I'm alot better in social situations. Early on, it gave me a reason to associate with people who I would otherwise not get along with (like jocks, hip hop kids, etc...). However, around the time when I started buying weed, alot of the people I dealt with could sense weakness in me because of my aspergers, so I ended up getting ripped off a few times. I consider those times learning experiences. I'm alot better at reading people now, and reading peoples intentions.

2 - It calms my anxiety. People often say "Well, weed is no way to escape your problems! When you come down off your high, your problems are still there!". My argument for that is...I just had really bad anxiety and I would get upset for no reason. I really didn't have any ACTUAL problems. It's not like my Mom died or my house burned down, and I would smoke weed to ignore that. So I'd basically get upset and depressed for no reason. Weed has really put a stop to that. Even when I'm not high, I still feel good about myself.

3 - In some ways, weed acts as a motivater. It gives me motivation to work more hours at my job because I think "Hey if I get more money, I could buy a bigger bag of weed!". Also, when I have homework that I need to get done, I usually like to reward myself by smoking a bowl afterwards. And I always tell myself "No smoking til all my homeworks done!". Plus, I really don't want to live up to all the negative stereotypes that surrounds the stoner lifestyle.

4 - I feel as though, by smoking weed, I've gotten rid of all the negative aspects of aspergers, and I've been able to focus on the positive aspects of aspergers, like my creativity. Weed make me more creative and makes me think on a different level. Since I started smoking weed, I've become an incredibly talented bass player, and I even have my own band going, and things are going great for us.

I honestly believe they should start perscribing medical marijuana to adults with aspergers. Is there any other aspie-stoners on here?
Hammerskull666
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:25 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Aspergers Syndrome and Marijuana

Postby TNSe » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Good for you.

Your post comes off as a troll however.
TNSe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Fakename » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:04 pm

PUT THE JOINT DOWN, im not liking this pot talk son.

I already been through the weed phase, ended up making me a criminal to the eyes of the law and got me some time in prison.

Weed is ok once in a while, stop using it everyday, let me see if u can not do it for a month, ive been clean for 4 years, never will hit that stuff again. :mrgreen:
Fakename
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Hammerskull666 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:21 pm

TNSe wrote:Good for you.

Your post comes off as a troll however.

I am no troll. In all honesty, I was just hoping I could meet some other people with Aspergers who also smoke weed.

Fakename wrote:PUT THE JOINT DOWN, im not liking this pot talk son.

I already been through the weed phase, ended up making me a criminal to the eyes of the law and got me some time in prison.

Weed is ok once in a while, stop using it everyday, let me see if u can not do it for a month, ive been clean for 4 years, never will hit that stuff again. :mrgreen:

I understand what you're saying.

However, even though I use it regularly, I don't usually do it everyday. And I take breaks every now and then too. Like I said, it doesnt get in the way of my life or slow me down. If anything, it did the exact opposite. It's almost weird. My grades have gone up since I started smoking. And I know how to avoid the law. Trust me. I usually don't do it outside of someones house. The thing you need to remember about weed is that it effects everyone differently. Some people get really paranoid and freak out, some people lose sight of what's important in life, some people get the desire to try hard drugs...and so far, none of those have happened to me.
Hammerskull666
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Mayhem » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:03 am

I was a stoner for one summer until I realized what it was doing to me. I was living in a tiny oil-mining town in Hicksville in the middle of nowhere, and there was nothing better to do so everyone just smoked up, plus I lived with three guys so I was forced to be social (luckily they were nice guys). Looking back, I can't believe I spent so long living in a foggy haze. It helped with the social interaction, but it's not worth it to be high all the time.

Nowadays, I smoke up maybe once every few weeks, with friends. I know it's not an addiction because I quit for almost a year before, and I don't feel like I need it. I did notice, though, that it doesn't take much to get me high - again, maybe because of the hypersensitivity? I usually need a few good tokes and I'm gone. Plus it has an even worse effect on me than alcohol - it breaks down the walls I work to put up in social sitations, so everything that crosses my brain comes out of my mouth. Most of the time, the few friends I smoke with think I'm hilarious when I'm high, so it works out. The fact that they accept my weirdness also helps. But after I'm sober again, I often feel embarrassed about how goofy and insane I act when I'm high whilst everyone else is chilling out, so it really depends on the situation, who I'm with, and whether I'm comfortable enough letting down the walls and letting everything come spilling out.
Music In Silence | http://music-in-silence.blogspot.com
Please visit my blog, which I will be updating with thoughts
and experiences on my journey as an aspie musician!
Mayhem
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Postby weezy22 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:18 am

i too have aspergers that i was diagnosed with at age 14. I was previously on antidepressants such as zoloft. however once i enrolled in college i started smoking weed with my friends. i love smoking weed and i love to drink because i feel that both enable me to overcome my anxiety and build up confidence and become more social. But weed unlike alcohol makes me feel more calm and even after i come down my anxiety is minimal and i still fill social and confident. my friends have also noticed that since i started smoking weed that i have become more outgoing, confident, and more fun to be around. Weed has done way more towards minimizing the negative aspects of my aspergers than any medication that my doctor gave me and i can honestly say that my social life and my mental state have improved dramatically. In other words, weed has made my life much more tolerable and enjoyable.
weezy22
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Postby MeELC » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:18 am

If it works out for you, then I guess that's fine!

But be careful - "self-medication" is a slippery slope...

As for myself, weed makes me grumpy, hungry and sleepy, so I don't smoke it. I'm not an overly anxious person, I'm more of a inattentive mellow person with racing, unfocused thoughts. I think if I was to take a drug to try and solve that, cocaine would be my drug of choice. Apparently, in people with AS and ADHD, it has the opposite effect than it does on the general population. Doesn't make us hyper, it helps us focus. Needless to say I've never tried it nor do I plan on ever doing so. But I am deeply curious.
MeELC
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby vickivicki » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:42 am

My son has a medical marijuana card [we live in colorado] which he received, not because of the AS, but because of extreme neuroligical pain.Happily, the marijuana has also helped with his ADHD, tourettes AND his AS. He has much less anxiety, far fewer "meltdowns" and the explosive anger is all but gone. I also believe he is somewhat more creative. Also, he doesn't get the "munchies', but he is able to eat many more foods[sensory integration dysfunction]. For my son and our family, it has been been a miracle.Is everything perfect? Hell no!, but before the marijuana I felt no hope for my son's future[the 'experts had finally broken me down, and convinced me] and I truly believe he would have taken his own life. so, in answer to the question, YES, I believe that marijuana can be a positive.
vickivicki
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Postby vendy_from_SP » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:03 am

:mrgreen: im suffering from asperger and hypersensitive hearing... so last time when i smoked weed i thought that im gonna to die from sounds around me. :mrgreen: there where just sounds and me. and sounds seemed like death. like someone is beating me with gavel on my head. it was very very bad trip. since that i don't smoke marihuana :|
vendy_from_SP
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby rojjb15 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:49 am

I was told i have aspergers recently and back when i smoked weed it did help for about the first year or so then i started getting really really paraniod so i stopped and all my weed smoking buddies stopped hanging out with me because they only hung out with me so they had someone to smoke it with.
rojjb15
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post