Our partner

Does Asperger's get worse?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Does Asperger's get worse?

Postby scratch » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:29 pm

an hour and four attempts later:
I've heard that Aspergers symptoms can become a little more pronounced over time as people get set in their ways with age. The problem is, mine has sort of gotten REALLY BAD over the last month or so. I've almost always managed to disguise it by myself without meds, but does Aspies get worse? Am I going to need them? Or is this just stress?

Wow. Should have tried this angle before.
scratch
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:08 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi,

You had trouble with the website?

Anyway, Asperger's is actually supposed to get easier to manage as the person gets older. This isn't to say, however, that big set-backs like this can't happen. The truth is that they WILL happen. I have improved overall since my teenage years, but this 'improvement' has brought with it two suicide attempts and many really low moments too.

You seem intelligent, and I'm sure that you'll figure your way out of the problem that you're having. What is the problem anyway?

Kevin
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Spokane Girl » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:59 pm

It doesn't get worse but it may seem like it does because there is the anxiety and the depression. Depression makes your AS symptoms worse. It's just an illusion.
Titanic is a good diaper movie, lots of flooding.
Spokane Girl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:08 pm

Postby Lofty » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:03 pm

For me, when under stress I'm just not able to put in the effort to initiate my coping mechanisms. Some of them are automatic (eg blocking out too much sensory input) and fail when I'm under stress. The net effect is my autistic nature affects me worse - it's not that I'm any more autistic, it's that my coping strategies aren't working.
"There are only things in life which are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe."
Lofty
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sarcastica » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:40 am

Periods of high stress definitely regress my symptoms, my obsessions become more intense and impulsive behaviour harder to control. You loose those management skills developed over many years.

I would say yes, your AS can appear to deterioate(get worst) during periods of high stress throughout life.
Sarcastica
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby thombob » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:42 am

I would have to say it is up to the individual. Though technically Aspie symptoms are supposed to get better with age your will to constantly struggle with it can weaken. Some Aspies choose to give up and seclude them selfs and with no social interaction to keep your symptoms in check they will thrive like bacteria in a warm moist environment. And some Aspies are perfectly content like this it's all about what makes you happy.
A life of constantly loosing at games I didn’t know existed.
thombob
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Postby scratch » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks guys!

Er, no, no trouble with the website. Just not very good at starting conversations, even when I can sit and think before I type.

Real problem? Er, tricky. Imagine your sensory problem is noise. You dislike communicating with people you've never met (what the hell do you say to them?!) and you have 90% of the Asperger's Symptoms. Now picture yourself as a Property Manager for an Estate Agency that let you do your job because you're the youngest person in the office. I think that about covers it.

Thinking back, I was fine until I started this job. Maybe it was the 6 month break away from Estate Agencies that made me go a little soft, or this place is just worse.

Either way, they're all out now. It's nice and quiet.
scratch
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby plicketycat » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:59 pm

I don't necessarily think your Aspergers gets worse as you get older, or better for that matter. The things you're doing and the skills you've learned can either help you manage your condition, or make things go out of control. Stress fluctuates, and stress/anxiety makes our coping mechanisms less effective. So, sometimes, it looks like we're getting worse as we get older because there are life changes that are very stressful... spouse, kids, home, job, etc. The longer you work, the more "upper level" you are generally expected to become, so you get promoted into a job that has more social interaction... eeeek stress and failure!

One thing I noticed from my own experience... stress and anxiety is cumulative. Just because you dealt with that crazy thing doesn't mean that you don't have a scar. The accumulation can happen so quietly and slowly that we don't notice it, and the BOOM we have a meltdown. If you have enough meltdowns you can actually develop a severe aversion to those sorts of situations (i.e. anxiety disorder). You become hypersensitized and can develop Complex PTSD. I think this can be avoided if you catch the situation early enough... like you realizing that your job is related to your increase in symptoms. If you can make a change before you have a blowout I think it does you less damage in the long run. If you limit the amount of times you completely lose it, you might be able to spare yourself from completely divorcing yourself from the world.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with completely divorcing yourself from the outside world (as much as is reasonable of course). But you should only do that if it's what you really want, not be forced into it because you can't cope anymore.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --- Andre Gide

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde
plicketycat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Brains_&_Burgers » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:58 pm

plicketycat wrote:Of course, there is nothing wrong with completely divorcing yourself from the outside world (as much as is reasonable of course). But you should only do that if it's what you really want, not be forced into it because you can't cope anymore.

I've fantasized about this many times, and still do. If the opportunity presented itself, I would seriously consider this.. It sounds really interesting and relaxing.
Brains_&_Burgers
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby plicketycat » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Brains_&_Burgers wrote:
plicketycat wrote:Of course, there is nothing wrong with completely divorcing yourself from the outside world (as much as is reasonable of course). But you should only do that if it's what you really want, not be forced into it because you can't cope anymore.

I've fantasized about this many times, and still do. If the opportunity presented itself, I would seriously consider this.. It sounds really interesting and relaxing.

My husband and I are already planning it. Nought land out in the middle of nowhere and are getting things started to have a mostly self-sufficient farmstead. I'll let you know how that goes... but it will likely be more than year before we get up there, get the house built, and get satelitte internet :D
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --- Andre Gide

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde
plicketycat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post