Our partner

Daily routines

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Daily routines

Postby Rev » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:41 am

Last edited by Rev on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rev
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:52 am

Heya,

I used to be the same but, after my therapy, I managed to tell myself that I don't need to bring all of these items with me every time I go out. What I used to bring was a towel, hair-gel, hairbrush, deoderant, and moisturiser. What can I say... ...I used to have major issues with my appearance.

Other 'quirks' is that I have to eat the same food every day, and it's prepared in exactly he same way. I also shower myself in exactly the same way. Basically, my entire day is just one long routine. It makes the whole day less stressful when I know what's ahead of me.

Kevin.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby UK-SW » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:24 am

Chucky wrote:Heya,

I used to be the same but, after my therapy, I managed to tell myself that I don't need to bring all of these items with me every time I go out. What I used to bring was a towel, hair-gel, hairbrush, deoderant, and moisturiser. What can I say... ...I used to have major issues with my appearance.

Other 'quirks' is that I have to eat the same food every day, and it's prepared in exactly he same way. I also shower myself in exactly the same way. Basically, my entire day is just one long routine. It makes the whole day less stressful when I know what's ahead of me.

Kevin.

You mention that you shower the same way and take the same things with you. It's things like this that I always question are AS-related. I shower in the same way but doesn't everyone? I'm pretty sure I've seen on other forums people have discussed these things in a frivolous, "we have nothing to say but our Post Count needs attention" ways and most people have a set washing routine. Or do you mean extreme things like "I brush each arm 4 times, wash my hair for 34 seconds" kind of things? Ditto always having the same things. I feel stressed if there are things I don't have on me but I see it as being purely practical (watch, phone, wallet) and I'm sure many people always have the same things on them. Just look in a woman's handbag!
UK-SW
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Wise Guy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:03 pm

I am unable to have habits, they never stuck.

I have a love for causal everyday life thought.
Wise Guy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby zhouluyi » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:04 pm

About personal gear:
I can't leave with a pants that don't have front pockets, then:
- Mobile phone on the front left pocket;
- "Fanny pack" either on the waist or hanging from my right shoulder;
- Keys to my car on the front right pocket (when I smoked, this is where I placed my lighter and cigarette box).
- Watch on the left wrist;

On the fanny pack:
- Small swiss pocket knife on small the left pocket (want to replace that with a multi-tool);
- Keys to my house on the small right pocket;
- Wallet, functional work ID and small pen on the big back pocket;
- Spare money and misc papers on the middle pocket;
- Coin change in the front pocket;

If any of those is missing I must return back to home to get them as soon as possible.

Also when I'm walking on the street I frequently buy and walk with a open bottle of coke (600 ml) or a can (350 ml). When I used to smoke, everytime that I was walking I was smoking.

About daily routines I don't think that mine is usuall, when its a work day (I don't work all days of the week) its something like that:
- My first alarm rings, put it on snooze;
- My first alarm rings again, and my second alarm (backup) also rings and I wake-up;
- I go don't stairs drink a milk with chocolate cup;
- Then I pick up my clothes and go to the bathroom;
- I shower, get dressed in the bathroom and brush my teeth;
- Go to the computer, check e-mails, and misc stuff, and now I go to work;
- There I prepare my morning tasks, and turn on some equipament that I have to use;
- While the equipment is starting I leave and go buy a coke for "breakfast", then when I return I finally start working.
- On the afternoon I also leave to buy another coke.

Luiz Borges
zhouluyi
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Postby Amik » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:14 pm

I usually carry the same things on me every day, but just for practical reasons. If I forget some of those things I don't get that upset and I can get through the day without them. What can ruin my day though is if someone is constantly telling me to hurry up. I hate feeling like I must rush out of the house. I need my time and feel best if I can do things pretty much the same way every day and at my own speed. I need some alone time in the morning so that I can start my day off well. I know exactly how much time I need and I get up in time, but sometimes I'm asked to either change my plan and leave earlier or someone else gets up earlier than usually and ruins my alone time, or people just bug me with "hurry, I'm waiting!" for no reason. That can completely ruin my mood, stress me and it increases the chances of me forgetting something.

I generally like doing things the same way all the time. I love routine. One of my quirks is that when I start my computer at work in the morning I make sure to open the windows/programs in the same order all the time so that they'll stay in the right order on the taskbar. If I accidentally close some window during the day I close the ones behind it too and open them all again, because I can't stand not having the windows in the right order.
Amik
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Chucky » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:47 pm

UK-SW wrote:You mention that you shower the same way and take the same things with you. It's things like this that I always question are AS-related. I shower in the same way but doesn't everyone?

Hmm, do they shower in exactly the same way though? I mean, my hand-motions and the sequence of body parts I wash is the same each and every time. I also dry myself in the same sequence and put on my clothes thereafter in the same sequence too. I did say that my whole day is like one long routine though - I doubt the 'normal' person is like that.

I do agree though that not going out of the house without certain things is not really an AS trait. I mean, everyone brings necessary things with them.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby zhouluyi » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:03 pm

About showering, I don't think that I have a strict routine (never thought about that), but my shower involves 5 to X minutes of "wonder" while the water is running on the side of my body BEFORE I started to properly shower. My mind wonders out on miscellaneous things, generally things that I'm currently studying or implementing.

I had major breakthroughs and insights while in shower. It's kind of my meditative moment, kind of a trance. Also sometimes I don't quite recall what I was thinking for so long in the bath.

Luiz Borges
zhouluyi
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Postby Rev » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:13 pm

Last edited by Rev on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rev
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Chucky » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:22 pm

*Edited by Chucky*
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6