Our partner

Homelessness and Asperger's

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Homelessness and Asperger's

Postby nhl » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:40 pm

I read somewhere that most adults with AS are more likely to wind up homeless or in poverty of some sort. I dunno if it's true or not, but I personally hope not.
nhl
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:28 pm

Please don't believe this - Do you remember where you read it? I cannot for the life of me think why anyone would relate Asperger's with homelessness. However, it is true that some people with psychological problems are living homelessly, but that is because they have no family to support them (I believe).

Please don't worry... ...one of my biggest fears recently has been that I will end-up homeless because i won't be able to cope in the future. It's not true though.

Hope you're okay,
Take care,
Kevin
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:54 am

Postby Sméagol » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:02 pm

I have aspergers and I have came close to living homeless however I did not live on the streets. I was staying in a shelter so I did consider my self homeless becuase I wasnt living in a house I pretty much got kicked out of my house for being in trouble with the police.

Currently I am still not living with any of my parents but I am working towards living with my dad and I am not living in that shelter instead I am living in a easy going group home that is suppose to be like "family"
Sméagol
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby hsieh » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:39 pm

if they do it's because they are so low functioning that is why it is so important to work towards being high functioning. when i was low functioning i lived in poverty.
yes, we can change - obama 2008
hsieh
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:54 pm

Postby Sméagol » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:46 pm

hsieh wrote:if they do it's because they are so low functioning that is why it is so important to work towards being high functioning. when i was low functioning i lived in poverty.

Aspergers is high functioning homeless or not.
Sméagol
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Clinton » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:55 pm

If your homeless it can be because, your a stupid junkie, a stupid alcoholic, a stupid gambler, a lazy bastard and maybe just plain stupid.. Or incredibly unlucky, like everything goes wrong unlucky.

Only one of those options are deserving of empathy. Atleast in my opinion. Well maybe two, if you count the "just plain stupid".
Clinton
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby plicketycat » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:49 am

Arne - people with alcohol, drug and gambling addictions are suffering from a disease that is very difficult to control. Many of them suffer from other mental illnesses as well. Homelessness can occur to anyone, in any education and financial bracket, for a multitude of reasons (not all of which are under that person's control).

In the future, please refrain from making judgmental and derogatory statements like this. It isn't helpful or supportive.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --- Andre Gide

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde
plicketycat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:54 pm

Postby Chucky » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:41 am

This thread is difficult to read because my biggest worry at the moment is that I won't be able to cope with life in the future when my parents are gone (I currently live at home; 24 years old). I mean, I'm extremely worried about it. Wherever I have worked though, my boss has always given glowing reports for me; the same goes for my lecturers at college.

Maybe I am being irrational... Life is tough though. It's very hard to take.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Clinton » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:50 pm

Come dont give me that disease Bull-s. Drug and alcohol is self harm not a disease, only weak people use disease as an excuse.

I suppose smoking is a disease aswell? Oh and online gaming? Hell lets not stopp there, serial killers who kill as a compulsion, is that a disease aswell?

This is a forum thread, made for discuission, I will post my opinion as I see it. I wont go posting feelgood "pat on the back" comments, thats for sure.
Clinton
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby plicketycat » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:20 pm

Arne, this is first and foremost a support forum. You can post your opinion on topics without making sweeping judgments and using inflammatory language. You don't have to post a "feel good, pat on the back" to post respectfully. That type of behavior may be tolerated on other forums where you post, but Chucky and I will not tolerate it on this one.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --- Andre Gide

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde
plicketycat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:54 pm

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post