Our partner

Asperger's Syndrome v Schizoid personality disorder.

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Asperger's Syndrome v Schizoid personality disorder.

Postby Leviathan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:21 am

I've read quite a lot from posters on here that it's not possible to have the Schizoid PD and AS. Is that really the genuine conception? Considering that AS is a PD ( IMO) I find that hard to believe.

I would imagine that many people with AS would turn Schizoid due to there difficulties in social situations.

Anyway it would be interesting to know what people with AS would think about this.
Leviathan
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:13 pm

That's interesting to think about but, at 24 years of age, I am currently nowhere near having SPD; although I cannot rule it out in the future. I would like to be happy living life alone (because forming relationships with people is so difficult) but I simply cannot be happy alone.

Regarding people with Asperger's syndrome like mysellf I always say this:

We crave social connections but lack the ability to form them.

Kevin.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:36 pm

Postby Oblomov » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:58 pm

A important difference between schizoid personality disorder and autism spectrum disorders including Asperger is glutamate: schizoids have a lack, autistics have an excess. Because glutamate increases emotionality, this is crucial.
Oblomov
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Clinton » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:59 pm

We are humans.. Yes we can get Personality Disorders.
Clinton
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Leviathan » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:36 pm

Chucky :

Regarding people with Asperger's syndrome like mysellf I always say this:

We crave social connections but lack the ability to form them.

That may be the case for yourself ( and a lot of other people with AS), but I've often read and heard of a fair amount of individuals with AS who have no desire for sex or to form relationships, or even have friends.

Arne :

We are humans.. Yes we can get Personality Disorders.

I'm sure you know about my views on AS. I believe it to be a PD also, and yes I know people with AS can also have another PD like everyone else. But I've often read on here that it's not possible to have AS and have Schizoid PD, and I don't believe this to be true, when you consider that a lot about AS could encourage Schizoid traits.

I'm not saying that everybody who is AS is also Schizoid (or even the majority is). What I am saying is that I believe it's possible to have both.
Leviathan
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Chucky » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:15 pm

Firesaurus wrote:That may be the case for yourself ( and a lot of other people with AS), but I've often read and heard of a fair amount of individuals with AS who have no desire for sex or to form relationships, or even have friends.

I don't actually have much desire to have sex at the moment but I think it's down to a lack of testosterone in my body (and not AS).
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby insomniakat » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:40 pm

I consider myself schizoid, but I don't have a personality DISORDER. I'm just the way I am, and seem to do okay even though being at work and out and about makes me want to bash my head up against the wall. I also may be on the autistic spectrum, as I have sensory issues and some Aspergers/autistic traits. I really don't know what label someone would attach to me, but if I had to come up with one, I would apply: Schizperger. :wink:

And it's not a DISORDER. I'm just quirky.
Meh.
insomniakat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:36 pm

Postby plicketycat » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:13 am

AS has a physical difference in brain structure like all other forms of autism. SPD (if not misdiagnosed AS) are neuro-typical - having typical brain structure. In the grander scheme of things, I see no reason why Aspies can't also be Schizoid... I am both (well Aspie with Schizoid tendencies at least).

I think we're all born with a basic temperament - a sort of blueprint for our personality when our brain develops - either extraversion and introversion. Extraversion being the state of or tendency toward being predominantly concerned with and obtaining gratification from what is outside the self. And Introversion being the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own internal/mental life. All the life experiences (nurture) build upon this blueprint (nature), which can lead to the development of particular personality stereotypes if the personality, behaviors and attitudes polarize. If you add in any neural anomalies, like autism and Aspergers, this also affects the basic temperament and the life experiences.

Not all Aspies are Schizoid (although some are). Not all Aspies are Introverts (although most are). Not all Schizoids are Introverts (although most are). Not all Introverts are either Aspies or Schizoids. There's plenty of room in this world for all of us and all our difference.... why are absolute, black-and-white buckets so necessary. Instead of trying to label someone, or disprove a condition, why not just try to accept them exactly as they are regardless of the reason they are that way?!
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --- Andre Gide

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde
plicketycat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:36 pm

Postby Clinton » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:19 am

Please dont start a discussion with him about this.
Logic or reason does nothing for him. He is dead set on calling aspergers a PD.

The only reason for this thread is so that he can bring the war that cooled down in hes previous thread back to life.

I feel bloody sorry for that autistic brother of yours Fire!
Clinton
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Leviathan » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:11 pm

The only reason for this thread is so that he can bring the war that cooled down in hes previous thread back to life.

No, the reason I started this thread was to debate whether people think it's possible to have AS and have Schizoid PD. I already mentioned my views on AS as a PD on another thread. You don't like what I posted? Then tough, don't read it.
Leviathan
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post