Our partner

Do you look younger than you are?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Postby Zero0Fusion » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:56 am

meh i look older than i am to most people. They think I'm 18/19 at 17 probably because I don't shave as much as I should, and if I shaved my mustache I'm sure they'd think I was younger. Ah well.
Zero0Fusion
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby PasserBy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:06 pm

plicketycat wrote:I know what you mean Dahlia... I'm 36 and have had people ask me if I've "had work done" when they find out my age because somehow you can't still look healthy and cute if you're older than 19. It's insane. I got carded at the grocery store the other day and just had to be snarky and tell the clerk that I have tattoos older than he is... he looked at my license and said his mom would love to know my secret. JEEEEZUUUSSS!

PlinketyCat, I have to say that being carded at American liquor stores happens to a lot more people than you think, and may not necessarily be an indicator that you look so EXTREMELY young. I have friends who are in their 30s and 40s and they still get carded in the US, and they don't necessarily look all THAT young, although maybe on the younger side.

The thing is that in America, anything alcohol-related is associated with a lot of unease and tension, and the slightest hint of youth will be enough for paranoia and being carded. I used to think it was just me, until I saw it happen to a lot of other, older people.

One other thing that contributes to people carding you is how old you look *relative to the average person* visiting that establishment or store. Curiously, if a particular store or location is visited mostly by college kids, an older person's age is much more clear, and will rarely be called into question. On the other hand, in a setting where more people are middle-aged, and younger visitors are rare, this issue may come up.
PasserBy
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Dahlia » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:34 pm

Yeah aint that the truth....................a gal who works at the front desk of the gym I go to was saying how depressed she was that she turned 30 this year...............I looked at her and asked why and she said she didn't want to be old. I just laughed and said"Well you are going to get old and wrinkly and your boobs sag to knees just like the rest of us if you don't get taken out by some disease or accident."

I'm in my 40's and she commented on "wow that is old." My gym does not hire anyone over 30 to work the front desk so I guess next year her ass is out the door.
Listen For Thunder
Watch For Lightning
Dahlia
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby atena » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:25 am

Wow, I have to add something to this...

I'm 38, and this summer a boy of 19 made a pass on me - he was sure I was 16 or something :). Actually, he thought I'm a daugter of the pair of friends that I was with :)

I don't look that young, of course, but he's short-sighted and I (as many aspies) am artless and, well, on the clumsy side - so my movements and behavior are consistent with a younger person. Maybe that's the catch...

On the other side, even people with good eyesight rarely give me more than 30. It's not vanity, it's been going on my nerves for ages - it was incredibly difficult to work with social impairment and be treated like a girl of 17 for ages.

It's not only how many lines you have on your face - it's the impression that people get when they just glance at you.
If I *seem* rude, ignore it. I didn't mean it. AS.
atena
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby evolving_moon » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:47 am

I'm 25 but people usually think i'm 18 or 19... i think that's good ^^
evolving_moon
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:39 pm

Postby Vayne » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:15 am

I'm 18 soon to be 19, and I think I look about acouple of years younger.
Vayne
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ilavf » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:17 am

i personally think its really hard to pick out someones age.

people in there teens can look any age really and people in there 60s are starting to look in there 40s.

for me.. i'm 20 and people either say i look like i'm 13-14 or that i'm mid 25s.. not in between.
ilavf
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Wise Guy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:42 am

I think out stress is a part of our calm.
We are stressed but release it into our systems, our obsessions
and other than that we have difficult to express stress and difficult to react to stiumali..

I think our talent for meditiation make sleep more efficient
and extreme mental activity actually burns some kaloriers.

I think that aspergers perhaps is an psyshical condition as well as an mental.

My explaination is that we aspergers
grow up in another pattern.
We grow up faster mentally and still continue to be children in some ways while still growing old very fast.
Our puperties last almost our entire life.
Wise Guy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Arachnidkid » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:16 pm

I'm 23 and I still get carded for R rated movies sometimes...that's when it's really depressing.

There's actually a LOT of times when I feel like I'm growing up way slower than other people my age. I've moved out of my parents house but there are times when I still feel confused about simple things like how to work the dishwasher. There are a lot of times when I feel like I can't figure anything out for myself...
Arachnidkid
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:39 am

Postby maymariah » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:49 pm

I am almost 23 and people still think I'm a teen. usually around this time of year I get the question "Have you bought your prom dress young lady?" what? prom was 5 years ago! I guess it isn't so bad though, I'll appreciate it later.
the universe is shaped exacly like the earth if you go straight along enough you'll end up where you were...
maymariah
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:39 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post