Our partner

Asperger Syndrome = high IQ?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

Asperger Syndrome = high IQ?

Postby Sarabanda » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:08 am

Is a high IQ a real "by-product: of asperger syndrome, or just a stereotype of aspies?
Sarabanda
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby some guy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:47 am

When mentioning something like an IQ score, it really comes down to if your brain is wired to do well on an IQ test... I believe the thought process of aspies can sometimes lead to higher overall scores on IQ tests, although certain sections tend to give them more trouble. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's kind of the way it goes...
Lost in the ocean. There's no way out.
some guy
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:15 am

Postby mistari » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:33 am

personally.. i know everything there is to know about the things i'm interested in.. if i'm not interested in it.. well i'll know very little.. math for example. i can barely add. hah!
mistari
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Anonymous6162 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:32 am

i'm apparently intelligent for my age, i did well on that stupid "test the nation" thing lol... being bored enough to take it.
Anonymous6162
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Chucky » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:15 pm

I think it's a stereotype; and I've read reliable documents to say as such. In fact, I read that the majority of us have normal to below-normal IQ's. However, one good thing that many of us have is a very good 'rote' memory; which I have recently discovered to my benefit. It allows me to memorise the entire syllabus of each of my subjects (at college) and easily get between 95% - 100% in every exam.

Rote memory is basically just remembering everything in sequence, off by heart. Perhaps this has something to do with OCD too; which is a common symptom of Aspies.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Aspergers and high IQ

Postby ColinN » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:42 pm

I suspect that further research will one day reveal that what we now call Asperger Syndrome is a composite of several conditions. I expect one of these to be autism with high IQ; another will probably be autism with learning disabilities. I'm in the former and I believe that there are quite a lot of Aspies in that category, but I don't have enough information to estimate what percentage of all Aspies are in that group.
I think that society mistakenly values intellectual gifting above other talents, artistic for example. I believe that all gifts, of whatever type, should be celebrated and esteemed equally. High IQ does not make me a better or worse person than anyone else. I find that high IQ contributes to my social isolation. I have insights which I believe are valid, but which my non-Aspie friends reject, in my view because they lack the intellect to appreciate them.
Colin N
ColinN
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Re: Aspergers and high IQ

Postby Chucky » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:03 pm

ColinN wrote:I find that high IQ contributes to my social isolation. I have insights which I believe are valid, but which my non-Aspie friends reject, in my view because they lack the intellect to appreciate them.

I know exactly what you mean by this; but I think that some people would be offended by it. Anyway, I believe it to be true also. I would never say this to a person though because it would isolate you or I further from them.

We have the ability to look beyond what is apparent; others don't have the ability to do this. This can be construed as being intelligent... ...or not. Perhaps simply being human and all that entails is intelligence. That's something we DON'T have.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby some guy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:32 am

I'm convinced that high IQ leads to nothing except a good IQ score, but moer people who test high are more intelligent than the average person and might have better insighhts :twisted:
Lost in the ocean. There's no way out.
some guy
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby plicketycat » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:40 am

I scored high on the IQ test and on every other standardized test while I was in school. I'm definitely better with verbal than math, but both are "higher than average".

Math is just not as interesting to me as words and stories. I guess I'm just like Mistari - I know tons about what i care about, and just the basics of things I don't. Funny thing is, if I stop caring about something, I sort of "forget" most of what I knew about it.... like clearing space on the hard drive or something.
plicketycat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Re: Aspergers and high IQ

Postby atena » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:47 am

Chucky wrote:We have the ability to look beyond what is apparent; others don't have the ability to do this. This can be construed as being intelligent... ...or not. Perhaps simply being human and all that entails is intelligence. That's something we DON'T have.

Wish I could agree. But as I grow older - and I've spent my younger days trying to convince myself that I'm nothing special, and that I'm like everyone else and that I'm just seeking attention and whatnot - I'm becoming more and more aware (and this is going to sound arrogant, but there's no other way to put it) that the vast majority of humanity is simply not aware of the world around them.

The whole fame of 'human intelligence', civilization, etc. is actually based on the inventions and conclusions made by what can be considered just a handful of humans throughout history (not on, as you put it, 'simply being human') - and these humans were, in the majority of cases, treated as loonies and outsiders by their peers for their entire lives. So these 'proofs of intelligence' seem more to be exceptions than the rule for the humanity in general - this is not even my thought, it's actually Scott Adams in "Dilbert Principle" :) He calls them "deviant individuals" or something - a person who invented the wheel must have been an outcast - or an Aspie.

So I don't think that intelligence is just a sympthom; it's more of a cause. Yes, we have the ability to look beyond what is apparent; and that requires processing power, which, for the human brain, is intelligence - IQ tests be damned.

The majority of humans, I'm afraid, is not that much above animal intelligence as they would like to believe, if at all. I mean, if the world was designed for dogs, cats, or horses, I would guess that it wouldn't be too difficult to teach them to perform the tasks that the lives of the majority of humans is reduced to, including shopping, most non-creative work, driving... Knowing how to read and write when the whole thing was directly designed for you is also hardly a feat - and all of a sudden you have access to conclusions of hundreds of people far smarter than you, and can adopt them as your own.

I mean, if we take IQ tests and say that my IQ is 180, the IQ of an average person is 100, and a squid is 20, does that mean that the relation between an average person and me is equivalent to the relation between that person and a squid? And if we take that seriously, why are the squids ruling the world - except for beeing the majority, of course?

And 'simply being human' is equivallent to sniffing butts in dog world. I mean, an intelligent dog might ask himself "why should I be putting my snout into someone else's butt?" and be the outcast of a dog civilization, because he's not behaving properly - other dogs will bite him and consider him rude. Ditto AS. You're asking yourself questions, analyzing, and trying to understand behavioral patterns that simply have no explanation, I'm afraid. It's just a mixture of learned behavior and instinct, that you either accept without a thought, or you never will.

Thank God this is a forum, so noone can punch me or arrest me : :twisted:
If I *seem* rude, ignore it. I didn't mean it. AS.
atena
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post