Our partner

Hereditary

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Hereditary

Postby JustSunshine » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:57 pm

I won't bore you all (YET!) with details and elaborate background.
Simple question.....

Our 14 yr old has AS - a bit on the lower spectrum, if you will.
My maternal uncle is Autistic.
Does this skip a generation or would I also have AS? (Also, 'mildly', if you will).
I ask, because hers being a bit 'mild', if you will. However, when I look back at MY childhood I def. see some of the 'symptoms.' In fact, I still do but I THINK I just learned how to cope. I can read people VERY well. I learned early on that if I said something maybe too blunt, and saw the person's facial expression reflect that, I'd quickly say something jokingly or 'soften' it.

I was dx'ed with Adult (onset) ADHD many years ago, then Bipolar II a few years ago.

I also wonder if some of these symptoms (ADHD, BP II, and AS) may overlap? OR, is it really AS but I was dx'ed with the others.

OH, I was dx'ed WAY before I learned that my uncle is Autistic.
(We knew something was very different - so did mom, of course - but did not learn of his actual diagnosis until THIS year. He is almost 60 now and lives with one of my other uncles. We're not a very close family which is why me and mom didn't know until now. OF course when my uncle told me, it was an "AHA!!!" moment, then I told him about our daughter.)

Hope this all makes sense and I'm not too terribly misunderstood....

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR :))
JustSunshine
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:55 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Hereditary

Postby blindwanderer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:23 am

blindwanderer
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 pm

Postby AmberCat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:56 pm

I think autism is somewhat hereditary. I have a diagnosis of Aspergers.

My dad has Aspergers. I also have two cousins on my dad's side who are on the autism spectrum. I don't think it is directly passed on, or even skips a generation, I think just that there is a genetic link somewhere. None of my dad's siblings have it, my sister who has the same dad as me doesn't have it, none of my other cousins have it, and I don't see any traits in my paternal grandparents either.

However, if you do recognise symptoms in yourself, there is a chance you could be on the autism spectrum. Apparently there are lots of adults who missed a diagnosis as a child, but only realise they are autistic when their child gets diagnosed and they see the same symptoms in themselves.

Other conditions such as ADHD can overlap with some symptoms, but they can also go together, and it is totally possible to be autistic with ADHD and Bipolar.
AmberCat
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:55 am

Postby caughtinafray » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:08 pm

My dad is ADD (w/o hyperactivity) + Bipolar, and I have both + Asperger's. My brother is on the spectrum to. I don't know of any statistics on how frequently Asperger's is inherited, but based on the information I've collected over time, I can tell you that heredity definitely is a factor.

And of course, as AmberCat said, it is possible for the trio to overlap, and I believe there to be a correlation between them.
DX: Asperger Syndrome, ADHD, Bipolar type 2
caughtinafray
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 am
Blog: View Blog (64)

Postby JustSunshine » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:24 pm

Thank you, all, for your help!

It makes sense.
JustSunshine
Consumer 0