Our partner

asperger's and adderall

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: TDT

asperger's and adderall

Postby jonny4444 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:40 pm

Before i was diagnosed
with asperger's i was diagnosed with ADD and working with a therapist and psychologist i was
placed on adderall. Wow did my world change, (similiar experience to a new release i believe
independant film on a kid in high school with ADD) if you know the name of the film let me know.
Anyhow for the first time in my life i could think and learn. I learned so much and was on it for
about a year. But for some reason i became depressed, I believe it was due to poor therapy possibly,
and mostly me entering a whole new world one that teased at my ability to be a normal functioning
person. I tried SSRI's and found out that i will never take another medication that messes with
seritonin. I almost feel like taking adderall exasperates my aspergers, yet helps me to be more normal.
Can anyone relate or had any experience with stimulants.
We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression. ~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club, Chapter 19
jonny4444
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:20 pm

I have never taken Adderall but have been taking an SSRI (Lexapro) for about 2 years. I hope you never took these together - Did you? It sounds like a terrible combination of drugs, but I'm not a doctor so I cannot be sure.

My advice would be to stay clear of the Adderall and try to work on improving your ADD symptoms yourself. Try to find certain evironmental conditions that help you to relax more. Essentially, just keep trying and don't give-in.

Kevin.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Chucky » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:20 pm

Oh, was that film Donnie Darko by any chance?
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby jonny4444 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:21 am

no i did not combine adderall with the ssri, which was zoloft. But later tried effexor which was indeed the worse time of my life. This was of course pre self education of antidepressants and disorders of the brain. I am now on wellbutrin and doing much better. I try to exercise several times a week and take nutritional supplements like omega fish oil, multi vitamin, and protein powder. It makes me sad that doctors place children and young adults on powerfull drugs that affect chemicals in the brain. I feel if it is a necessity it is okay but with carefull and consistant monitoring.

No the film was not donnie darko although i did enjoy the film. This one was more recent and for the life of me i cannon remember what it was called. Oh well maybe one day i'll come across it or remember.

I want to say thank you to this forum, alot of times i feel like i am the only one suffering, I am working my way towards realizing i am okay and my past relationships have failed due to the extreme frustration of not being able to connect or feel the way others do, and not because i am a bad person. But i hope with the knowledge i gather i can find ways to accept myself and move towards creating real relationships and an enviroment i can grow in.
thanks again everybody
We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression. ~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club, Chapter 19
jonny4444
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Chucky » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:56 pm

That's an inspiring last paragraph there. I joined this forum over one year ago and was also very appreciative of it. It made me realise that I wasn't crazy and that there were other people out there like me.

Regarding your first paragraph, I also disagree with medication being given to children - People are being diagnosed at younger and younger ages these days and there is a new generation of people that actually go out looking for something wrong with themselves.

Over long periods of time I have experimented with certain supplements and I found that Omega fish oil helps with my depression. I also discovered that garlic helps with circulation and Chinese 5-spice - in high amounts - acts as a Laxative.

Kevin.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post