Our partner

Anyone's symptoms improve with diet?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Anyone's symptoms improve with diet?

Postby slither » Sat May 09, 2015 1:23 am

http://www.dramyyasko.com/wp-content/fi ... okers8.pdf

I've recently found out about excitotoxins but have noticed for years that over half the food I eat regularly has some adverse effect on my mood, cognition, or triggers inflammation and itchiness in my body. I also suffered over 20 years from a polyester allergy, and I'm suspicious many of these toxins are crossing my blood brain barrier.
slither
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Anyone's symptoms improve with diet?

Postby slither » Sat May 09, 2015 1:57 am

http://www.holistichelp.net/blog/how-to ... glutamate/

I think this describes 95% of the problems that have ever been wrong with me, even the weird little problems like insomnia, poorly regulated blood pressure, inflammation, acid reflux, sugar cravings, and manages to somehow connect them all together in a non far fetched way.
slither
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby EarlyMorning » Sat May 09, 2015 2:27 am

what do you mean symptoms?

do you mean to do with other things such as insomnia? or are you asking about "symptoms" in AS? Because nothing you have already mentioned has to do with AS as far as I can make out.

Mind you I do suffer from those things. Are they attributed to AS indirectly then?

Your question is confusing me.
Life is full of small disappointments - Henrik Hanssen
EarlyMorning
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:34 am

Postby slither » Sat May 09, 2015 2:49 am

My question is in the topic title----I want to know if anyone's symptoms of autism have improved by changing the foods they eat, but if they have symptoms not related to autism, that is fine also for them to mention.
slither
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby EarlyMorning » Sat May 09, 2015 2:55 am

ok. you're misunderstanding me and I'm misunderstanding you.

I just didn't realise that the symptom's you've listed are attributed to AS. I thought they were nothing to do with AS.

But you are saying they are?

I really hope this isn't one of those conversations that goes around in circles.
EarlyMorning
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby nprkntlny » Sat May 09, 2015 1:39 pm

In short; yes. I've found that, for me, it's more about cutting things out than adding things, as the adverse effects of eating something bad is more pronounced than the positive effects of something good. Hydration also is extremely important. No less than 2 litres a day bare minimum. Ideally 3+. Learning about diet and nutrition has been exhausting, but I think it's absolutely essential. Do I feel enormously better? Not really. But I feel good, and feel secure that I am safeguarding my health for the long-term.

At the same time I think there needs to be a serious balance between pleasure and health. I still eat lots of "bad" food, but I do it because it's relaxing/pleasurable/sociable. If you just avoid all the stuff you like all the time, you're stressing yourself out, therefore not really benefiting fully from your diet. It's better for your health to eat a bit of crap now and then and feel good about it, rather than avoiding it and feeling bad about it. That being said, some of the worst stuff should still be avoided. But also make peace with the fact that you will not realistically be able to eat well all the time, and that is perfectly OK. Just look around, and try to incrementally choose the least-bad option of any given situation. Over time you will start to crave the good stuff and be repelled by the bad stuff. That is the point at which you can easily maintain a good diet, without stress.
nprkntlny
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:34 am

Postby madjoe » Sat May 09, 2015 6:01 pm

them more i'm in shape the more manic and narcistic i get

i'm a very good fatso and an evil skinny

more fat gives more more female hormones less fat gives more testosterone
is that the same for women?
madjoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:34 am

Postby slither » Sat May 09, 2015 11:09 pm

EarlyMorning wrote:ok. you're misunderstanding me and I'm misunderstanding you.

I just didn't realise that the symptom's you've listed are attributed to AS. I thought they were nothing to do with AS.

But you are saying they are?

I really hope this isn't one of those conversations that goes around in circles.

No....autistics are sensitive to diet....specifically with mood and stimming behavior---I'm not on the spectrum as far as i know---but i figured the people here would have some idea on how foods effect them since they are often sensitive to the same kinds of foods that i am sensitive to, slightly different problems but some overlap.

-- Sat May 09, 2015 4:12 pm --

nprkntlny wrote:
At the same time I think there needs to be a serious balance between pleasure and health.

No need. I'm fairly convinced a good part of my brain that allows for emotional reactivity and attacthment behavior, and experience of pleasure, have been damaged due to undiagnosed autoimmune problems (which run rampant in my family).

Just a little bad food could undo everything, and i dont find much reward in eating anyways.
slither
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby EarlyMorning » Sat May 09, 2015 11:33 pm

So you don't have AS then?

Anyway, I don't think I'm sensitive to food other than berries and some other fruit I can't eat as they make my stomach upset. I think that's pretty much it food sensitivity wise. My food choices are not based on them making me unwell other than those though. They are based on what I like/don't like/will never eat/what goes together.

I did read about eating more natural sugar when needing sugar ie: fresh fruit over say chocolate, to help with energy and stop ankle swelling, but as I said, I'm limited on the fruit i can eat.
EarlyMorning
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby slither » Sat May 09, 2015 11:58 pm

EarlyMorning wrote:So you don't have AS then?

No. An INTJ personality and obsessive compulsive personality disorder can sometimes present as mildly apergish though.
slither
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post