Our partner

Am I crazy or is this Asperger's!?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Am I crazy or is this Asperger's!?

Postby shock_the_monkey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:23 am

nprkntlny wrote:You appear to be in the United Kingdom, whereas I previously thought you were in the U.S.

In light of that information, I can tell you straight that you are wrong. There are extensive services for adults with autism in a good portion of the UK. The UK has some of the best adult autism services in the world, period.

I'm not debating minor points with you, just don't feel like it. My simple view is this; you give the impression in many different threads how a diagnosis is not that useful, and how services for adults are minimal. You are plain wrong, especially in the UK. My issue is with this impression you give off that diagnosis is just some kind of inconsequential label, which potentially makes people more inclined to rely on internet self-diagnosis and not get access to the services that might be there to benefit them.

... i'll take that as an apology.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby shock_the_monkey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:34 pm

Extract From NAS Newsletter Dated 11 November 2013 wrote:Like you, I get countless emails telling me I should sign a petition or write to my MP if I want to prevent an injustice or bring about change.

In some ways, this email is no different – we’d love you to read about our new campaign which calls for better support for adults with autism, and sign our petition.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby madjoe » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:26 pm

hot tip:
as long as you entertaining youcan get away with a lot
madjoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:42 am

Postby EarlyMorning » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:19 am

Im from the UK and good luck getting a diagnosis. Im 42, live in London. Was told by a private psychotherapist that I may well have AS. She wrote to my GP, my GP said "You're not autistic - you can speak". Shows what she knew. Then she said "At your age why bother?".

So no, not all GP's are the same, and no not all is good in the UK with mental health.

I eventually got another GP to refer me. Had to wait a few months for social worker screening. She then referred me to the Psychiatrist for diagnosis test. Had to wait 6 months for that, he then said after keeping me waiting 40 mins past my appt time, and after only speaking to me for 5 mins of my 3 hour session that he wouldn't do the test due to my high anxiety and depression, and the fact that neither of my parents could talk to him about my childhood.

I am now, 6 months later, on another psychologists waiting list, waiting for a reply of a complaint to my local mental health trust on trying to get up the waiting list as the psych from June didn't refer me on like he was meant to, trying to still get my AS diagnosis test, and now I've been agoraphobic for the last 6 months.

2014 was not great for me.

So sorry if I sound abrupt but I'm sticking up for Shock the Monkey as they gave me the fight to complain about my sorry arse treatment here in the UK, where all they care about in my area are schizophrenics and drug addicts and leave the rest of us to our own personal hell.

Yes I do believe salt was rubbed into one of my wounds with what I read in those posts.

People can give opinions based off their own experiences without being criticised or invalidated. I really really dislike people with the "I doubt that.." attitude.

I thank you.
Life is full of small disappointments - Henrik Hanssen
EarlyMorning
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Previous

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views