Our partner

Learning Styles

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Learning Styles

Postby maria84 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:27 pm

I am at a crossroads in my life.

I find it difficult to operate in most jobs, and want to study up on the things that interest me.

I keep running into the same "problem". It's hard for me to retain information. It seems I am comparing my way of learning to others'. Standard school doesn't work for me.

I have recently come up with the notion that I do best by rereading the same material multiple times, and I would rather read the good stuff (get to the root of the topic).

I am curious about your learning styles.
maria84
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Learning Styles

Postby PaulHubert » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:13 pm

We are in the same boat which is a minority group for aspies, the details of read information slip my mind; I do tickets in the IT service department of my college and everything we do is through tickets. A decent amount of the time a small detail, which completely dictates the solution to the problem on the ticket either gets forgotten or it wasn't metaphorically highlighted in my mind. I have a deep rooted hate for reading beneath the surface that has made me reading averse throughout my life, the struggles with reading comprehension, speed, and central coherence made it simply unenjoyable; today I pay dearly when certain details in a passage mean everything..I am what you would call an retarded ADD reader, and I mean retarded in the literal use of the word.

I believe that when material pertaining to the special interest is inside the reading, then the focus is heightened and the attention to the details is sustained and retained; that has been my experience. I can also look at my tendencies and my qualities, and safely say that I am a visualizer: my exceptional long term memory is based on images, I gravitate towards pictures in magazines/newspapers/internet, and learning material is significantly easier when put into pictures. Learning things by actually practicing it (example: using active directory as opposed to reading about it) is a visual experience and my understanding of it is whole when I physically explore the subject of the writing .
Diagnosed at age 24: Answered questions and guided me to helpful resources
PaulHubert
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Learning Styles

Postby no-mans-land » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:47 pm

My learning style is anal retentive.
no-mans-land
Consumer 6
Consumer 6