Our partner

What does NOS in the forum name stand for?

Anxiety Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What does NOS in the forum name stand for?

Postby Holly3278 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:56 pm

Hi everyone. I suffer from an anxiety disorder but I don't know exactly what kind. All I know is I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder in addition to borderline personality disorder and major depression. So, I am trying to figure out if I am in the right forum or not and to do that, I need to know what NOS stands for. Please help. Thanks!
Holly3278
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby dbx » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:58 pm

NOS = Not Otherwise Specified
dbx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:31 pm

Postby Holly3278 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:04 am

dbx wrote:NOS = Not Otherwise Specified

Oh ok thanks! I guess this is the right forum for me then... I think. I honestly don't know. :lol: I have heard the term panic disorder being said in mention of me quite a few times but then again I suffer a lot from just general anxiety, especially anxiety about going to Hell. :oops:
Holly3278
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby dbx » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:09 am

general anxiety means that people worry about a lot of things. like losing your keys, work problems, family problems, health issues, etc. Are you such a person? if so then you may have GAD

also what's the thing with Hell?
dbx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Holly3278 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:31 am

dbx wrote:general anxiety means that people worry about a lot of things. like losing your keys, work problems, family problems, health issues, etc. Are you such a person? if so then you may have GAD

also what's the thing with Hell?

Well, I don't worry about a whole lot of things. I mean, I worry about some things but I don't worry about everything. I mostly worry about going to hell.

The thing with hell is this. I was raised a Southern Baptist. As I got older, I got involved with other fundamentalist churches and Catholicism and well, I just have this fear that I am going to go to hell for the slightest thing. I guess you could say that I am scrupulous. :oops: I wish I could overcome this fear but it is taking a lot for me to get over it.
Holly3278
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby dbx » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:41 am

the first step to overcome such fears about Hell is to stay away from any religious sects.

For example, if the Bible is true, then every single person that has lived or every single person that lives now or will be living in the future will break one or more of the 7 deadly sins during his or her lifetime, thus every single one of them will be going to Hell and Heaven will be completely empty.

In every single religion or sect, you'll find a lot of illogical claims and contradictions. To me, religion is useless as it gives me no facts, only assumptions and speculations.

Religion is here only to explain things that humans can't due to natural limitations. It offers "an easy way" even if the things it offers are not proven nor disproved. Religion's secondary purpose is to control the masses by ingesting fear in them thus forcing them to live accordingly to the specific religion or else suffer consequences which are not proven nor disproved.
dbx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Holly3278 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:09 am

dbx wrote:the first step to overcome such fears about Hell is to stay away from any religious sects.

For example, if the Bible is true, then every single person that has lived or every single person that lives now or will be living in the future will break one or more of the 7 deadly sins during his or her lifetime, thus every single one of them will be going to Hell and Heaven will be completely empty.

In every single religion or sect, you'll find a lot of illogical claims and contradictions. To me, religion is useless as it gives me no facts, only assumptions and speculations.

Religion is here only to explain things that humans can't due to natural limitations. It offers "an easy way" even if the things it offers are not proven nor disproved. Religion's secondary purpose is to control the masses by ingesting fear in them thus forcing them to live accordingly to the specific religion or else suffer consequences which are not proven nor disproved.

Hmmm, should I even stay away from Unitarian Universalism? :?:
Holly3278
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby dbx » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:25 pm

Holly3278 wrote:
dbx wrote:the first step to overcome such fears about Hell is to stay away from any religious sects.

If I was you, I'd stay away from every single one of them. Why? Because every single one of them offers nothing more than speculations and no proof or facts. They all claim something and they all claim they are the right ones, but in the end, when it comes to proving their claims, they all fail easily

Religion, no matter which one, offers for the weak-minded a system where they can believe in it as it is too much for them and very frightening to recognize the possibility that we are NOT the most important thing in this universe, we are NOT something special, the universe does NOT depend on us and there may be no cause or "God" that created it (even the Big Bang theory gets more and more criticism lately). Weak-minded people will despair if there's nothing to believe in and they see that their lives and purpose may be meaningless after all.
dbx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:25 pm

It is likely G.A.D as it can be anything really, it's just that you feel anxious, sometimes you cannot specify what it is etc.
What is helpful may be to write things down.
What you are doing, what you are thinking when the anxiety appears, and what the symptoms are.

once you are able to pinpoint the cause of anxiety, the easier it does become.

Are you in therapy at all?
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:31 pm

Postby Holly3278 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:39 am

dbx wrote:
Holly3278 wrote:

If I was you, I'd stay away from every single one of them. Why? Because every single one of them offers nothing more than speculations and no proof or facts. They all claim something and they all claim they are the right ones, but in the end, when it comes to proving their claims, they all fail easily

Religion, no matter which one, offers for the weak-minded a system where they can believe in it as it is too much for them and very frightening to recognize the possibility that we are NOT the most important thing in this universe, we are NOT something special, the universe does NOT depend on us and there may be no cause or "God" that created it (even the Big Bang theory gets more and more criticism lately). Weak-minded people will despair if there's nothing to believe in and they see that their lives and purpose may be meaningless after all.

Oh ok. Then I suppose I will just simply be an Agnostic. But to be honest, I thought that the hope that religion provides would be helpful to my recovery. What about Secular Humanism? Is it ok?
Holly3278
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Next

Return to Anxiety Disorder NOS

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post