Our partner

Non-violent sociopaths

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: WichitaLineman

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Non-violent sociopaths

Postby Tempo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:36 am

I was reading something interesting: http://www.askdrrobert.dr-robert.com/self-serving.html

Why do you think some sociopaths turn out to be violent while others don't? What plays an important role in that character development? Is it simply a matter of interest or is there another reason, such as being exposed to violence at a young age?
Tempo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Non-violent sociopaths

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:05 am

Mainly, it's the way the person is brought up.

Take a person born with a psychopathic brain and provide him with a stable, structured and constructive growing up environment and he will likely be able to develop into a successful person, able to cope with the "negative" aspects of the condition.
I'm not arguing, I'm simply explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Little Boy Lost » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:28 am

Different skills, interests, desires, and temperaments. I agree with jomp that upbringing is usually the cause but not always. Some people are sadistic and violent with seemingly no environmental influence that can explain.

Clifford Olson is a criminal who wasn't abused, raised by both parents, normal family life. Two evaluators independently scored him 38/40 on the pcl-r a decade apart. He was a career criminal with an endless list of arrests, a substance abuser, a child killer, and dangerously violent man. his parents were normal people who were none of those things.

I'm violent guy and I never was treated violently, nor did I witness it around me. I really do not know why.
“It is not to be thought that the life of darkness is sunk in misery and lost as if in sorrowing. There is no sorrowing. For sorrow is a thing that is swallowed up in death, and death and dying are the very life of the darkness.”
― Jacob Boehme
Little Boy Lost
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Greatem » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:48 am

Little Boy Lost wrote:Clifford Olson is a criminal who wasn't abused, raised by both parents, normal family life. Two evaluators independently scored him 38/40 on the pcl-r a decade apart. He was a career criminal with an endless list of arrests, a substance abuser, a child killer, and dangerously violent man. his parents were normal people who were none of those things.

He could of witnessed violence by other people in his environment, not his parents?

Little Boy Lost wrote:I'm violent guy and I never was treated violently, nor did I witness it around me. I really do not know why.

It might be connected to your narc traits and sense of grandiose, you are violent to those around you, because you see them as weak and pathetic, so they deserve it.
Greatem
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:22 pm

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am

I have a similar experience.

I can be violent. I have extremely violent tendencies and have been arrested for violent crime in the past but I had a technically "good" upbringing.

In my case I think it helped me to cope with my tendencies to be impulsive and realise that I must control my environment (education and example were good tutors).
However, the aggression is primal; an animalistic urge, and it's a good feeling, certainly not coming from a bad place. I like the feeling.
I don't react to people thinking I'm reacting to something else; it's not like a put a photo of someone's face onto the person I'm targeting.

So I think the only difference is whether a person has the capacity (incl. intelligence, nurtured objective view of the world) to suppress the violent urge, and I'm assuming that as none of us are currently incarcerated then most of us comply with that.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Tempo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:29 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:I'm assuming that as none of us are currently incarcerated then most of us comply with that.

Or that some of us are good at getting away with it.
Tempo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Tempo wrote:
justonemoreperson wrote:I'm assuming that as none of us are currently incarcerated then most of us comply with that.

Or that some of us are good at getting away with it.

Yes, which means that the impulsive and grandiose urge is under control. So the point still stands.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby evilaspie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm a bully and a manipulator
i see violence as a weakness (way to get into trouble)
therapist once asked me if I'm not scared of getting in jail i told here wft they gone do tell them i drove them mad?
i did 4 years of karate and I'm in excellent shape (power training+ running, mountain biking, swimming)
i never fight outside the ring
have bin in trouble with the police couple of times (green tabak and something i had nothing to do with)
evilaspie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby horizon987 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:09 pm

Hello.

I believe it is due to how "high functioning" you are, as a sociopath. But it also has a lot to do with you're environment, when you were being raised by your legal guardians. I'm sociopathic, I'm not violent most of the time, I just have random rages do to my AS.
Diagnosis: borderline personality disorder, mild Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
horizon987
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Tempo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:21 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:Yes, which means that the impulsive and grandiose urge is under control. So the point still stands.

Or that some of us have just been lucky.
Tempo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post