Our partner

Psychopathy and PTSD

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: WichitaLineman

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Psychopathy and PTSD

Postby CaptainVegetable » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi everyone. For a long time I've been thinking about whether someone with a psychopathy diagnosis can also develop PTSD? Because PTSD requires a trauma, and this by definition needs to have a negative effect on the person's emotional reaction, can a person with psychopathy, who cannot feel the full range of emotions develop PTSD?
If anyone has either of these diagnoses would like to pitch in with a comment, that would be great. Thanks!
CaptainVegetable
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psychopathy and PTSD

Postby Greatem » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:06 pm

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/men ... sychopaths

"There's one core structure in the brain that's over-responsive in PTSD—that's the amygdala," he says. This region is critical for perceiving and responding to threats. In PTSD, the amygdala is hypersensitive to threats, producing fear in situations that wouldn't seem to be frightening to most people.

But in brain scans of people who have high levels of callous or unemotional traits, "We see a reduced response of the amygdala to threat," says Blair.

Science says no. But i don't personally know.
Greatem
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:13 pm

Postby Little Boy Lost » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:07 pm

in males, the affective component of psychopathy (lack of remorse, lack of empathy/callousness, shallow affect, externalizes blame) is negatively correlated with trauma. iIIRC psychopathy as a whole is positively correlated with trauma in females.
“It is not to be thought that the life of darkness is sunk in misery and lost as if in sorrowing. There is no sorrowing. For sorrow is a thing that is swallowed up in death, and death and dying are the very life of the darkness.”
― Jacob Boehme
Little Boy Lost
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:13 pm

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:57 pm

CaptainVegetable wrote:Hi everyone. For a long time I've been thinking about whether someone with a psychopathy diagnosis can also develop PTSD? Because PTSD requires a trauma, and this by definition needs to have a negative effect on the person's emotional reaction, can a person with psychopathy, who cannot feel the full range of emotions develop PTSD?
If anyone has either of these diagnoses would like to pitch in with a comment, that would be great. Thanks!

a few years ago I saw a psych and we discussed some ptsd related issues. I wasn't diagnosed.

nor do I have psychopathy.

however.

I read somewhere that psychopaths (born with the 'disorder'), are actually somewhat protected from the effects of SOME types of abuse, because as you correctly deduced, psychopaths lack some of the emotional capacities which make a normal person (or a person without psychopathy) vulnerable to abuse.

I read this in an article a few years back.
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:13 pm

Postby deifiedonmyback » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:41 am

Type II psychopaths are often the way they are primarily from trauma, as well as a genetic predisposition. So it wouldn't be hard to find a psycho with PTSD. Type II's are often based in anxiety & experience a variety of symptoms of instability, whereas a type I does not. So I suppose it could be half & half... As someone said above, it's believed type I psychopaths are shielded from the effects of abuse by their naturally detached demeanor. As for ASPD? It's entirely possible. The stereotypical behaviour is a personality construct, not so hardwired into the brain as a born-psychopath is. So it is possible, but I'm not positive how statistically likely it is.
Last edited by deifiedonmyback on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you're not the antichrist. you're only a malcontent who knows how to spell.
deifiedonmyback
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby OneRinger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:15 pm

With these types of questions, the answer is always yes.
OneRinger
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Postby CaptainVegetable » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:49 am

Thanks! Some very interesting answers. I agree with the research suggesting the hypoactive Amygdala cannot contribute to the development of a salient trauma memory and lessens the emotional devastation. One would speculate a lessened likelihood of it going to PTSD, but am still not sure if this speculation holds in actual cases.
CV
CaptainVegetable
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:13 pm

Postby Apathy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:08 pm

I would think they can. They can also suffer from anxiety. Psychopathy is generally how we feel, not how we think. PTSD and Anxiety is thought constructions. It can usually be treated with Cognitive behavioral therapy. It's a behavior, whilst psychopathy isn't.
Apathy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:13 pm

Postby Mr. No One » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:23 pm

I might have PTSD but my AsPD doesn't care. Lol
Mr. No One
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:13 am
Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby PSSadist » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Not possible to suffer PTSD, do not suffer anxiety. Trauma is basically what my childhood was and I was a normal child to everyone else. I can suffer from trauma but never be traumatized from it.
PSSadist
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:13 am

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post