Our partner

Low Functioning Sociopaths??

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: WichitaLineman

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Low Functioning Sociopaths??

Postby thesheridan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Reading through various posts leads chain of thought to the majority of sociopaths being of hgih intellect and also high ambition in self achievement..maybe I'm wrong. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on low functioning sociopaths?
thesheridan
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:43 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Low Functioning Sociopaths??

Postby Sabratha » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:25 pm

I have no idea what sort of percentage of psychopaths and/or sociopaths are high functioning and how many are low functioning. Most research is done on low functioning ones, as these can be easily found in prisons and are thus available for research and observation. The amount of high functioning psychopaths is anyone's guess. I believe many if not most high functioning psychopaths don't even realize they are psychopaths.

I'd say the major difference between low and high functioning psychopaths is the impulsivness, lack of planning and irrationality of the former. They seem to engage in a lot of pointless activities for no apparent reason, do stuff because "its fun", not because "its convenient" or "its usefull" like we do.
I'm self diagnosed with a very severe and incurable case of "being Sabratha".
Peptron wrote:Sabratha, you do not count, as you are a freak of nature. You go through life with cheat codes.
Sabratha
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Little Boy Lost » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:45 pm

How is a "low functioning" as opposed to "high functioning" psychopath defined? Clearly, a psychopath with an IQ of 75 who cannot spend 6 months on the outside without getting picked up for a felony is "low functioning," but that is a paradigm case, not a definition. It does not delineate a boundary that can be used to categorize a random psychopath..

I linked to a paper a while ago that found significantly less prefrontal gray matter in the brains of "unsuccessful" vs. "successful" psychopaths & normals. "Successful" = no convictions. That definition worked for the purposes of the study, however, I can think of someone who would fall into the "unsuccessful" class, but his conviction is in the distant past, nobody even knows about it, and the entire world would judge him as a success. If everyone did know about his conviction, it would be dismissed as a youthful indiscretion.
“It is not to be thought that the life of darkness is sunk in misery and lost as if in sorrowing. There is no sorrowing. For sorrow is a thing that is swallowed up in death, and death and dying are the very life of the darkness.”
― Jacob Boehme
Little Boy Lost
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sabratha » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Robert Hare wrote:just having a psychopathic personality disorder does not make one a criminal. Some psychopaths live in society and do not technically break the law—although they may come close, with behavior that usually is very unpleasant for those around them. Some may lead seemingly normal lives, not hurting people in ways that attract attention, but causing problems nonetheless in hidden economic, psychological, and emotionally abusive ways. They do not make warm and loving parents, children, or family members.

Hare generally sees things in a criminal vs non-criminal way. I can't find this quote now, but I do vividly remember him linking psychopathic criminal behavior to factor 2 traits and subcriminal psychopathic behavior to factor 1 traits.

Subjectively, I find his reasoning convincing.
Peptron wrote:Sabratha, you do not count, as you are a freak of nature. You go through life with cheat codes.
Sabratha
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby katana » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:53 pm

What's low functioning/high functioning?

criminal/subcriminal
get caught/dont get caught
low IQ/high IQ
Ability to maintain appearance of normality from none at all[incarcerated on a psychiatric basis] right through to total appearance of normality even to own family?
comorbidity of other PDs or axis 1 disorder that prevent proper functioning?

then there is the idea that many "subcriminal psychopaths" who actually succeed are actually narcissists with severe NPD rather than sociopaths, i.e. psychopathy/sociopathy seen as more severe cases of AsPD or NPD and not all of it is the same. - I don't know if this is true or not though.

I actually don't think all sociopaths are of high intelligence. Intelligence might affect how well a person hides their sociopathy, but I don't know of any evidence that all sociopaths are bright.

I've heard both extremely high and extremely low intelligence can create added risk factor. That seems to make sense cause it might mean the person can't relate to others around them as easily.

If intelligence is extremely low there's a chance the person might fail to hide a lack of empathy, but also fail to communicate it.
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Sabratha » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:59 pm

katana wrote:then there is the idea that many "subcriminal psychopaths" who actually succeed are actually narcissists with severe NPD rather than sociopaths, i.e. psychopathy/sociopathy seen as more severe cases of AsPD or NPD and not all of it is the same. - I don't know if this is true or not though.

Narcissists have some similarities, but more with low functioning psychs. Narcs for starters are very emotional, obsessed about other people and how they are being perceived, prone to emotional brakedowns, narcissistic injury etc.

Me? Let people think what they want. I spent several years of my life actively trying to make other people perceive me as slow and boring for example, saved me a lot of fuss.
And emotional brakedowns? Please...
Sabratha
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby yYyYy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:32 am

Sabratha and LBL seem like couples becaus of their avi

look like they are wearing matched t shirt

:?
if you ever feel weak or powerless
Remember than a single pubic hair of yours
could shut down an entire restaurant.
yYyYy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:43 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Little Boy Lost » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:19 am

Sabratha wrote:Hare generally sees things in a criminal vs non-criminal way. I can't find this quote now, but I do vividly remember him linking psychopathic criminal behavior to factor 2 traits and subcriminal psychopathic behavior to factor 1 traits.

Subjectively, I find his reasoning convincing.

In the aforementioned study, the unsuccessful psychopaths were higher on both factor 1 and factor 2 in comparison with successful psychopaths, although, the difference was rather small. Both psychopathic groups were very high on both measures compared to normals. If you don't engage in antisocial behaviors, you're not a psychopath according to the current definition.

-- Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:28 am --

katana wrote:then there is the idea that many "subcriminal psychopaths" who actually succeed are actually narcissists with severe NPD rather than sociopaths, i.e. psychopathy/sociopathy seen as more severe cases of AsPD or NPD and not all of it is the same. - I don't know if this is true or not though.

NPD and psychopathy are overlapping categories. Rodney Alcala and John Wayne Gacy were both diagnosed with NPD, amongst other things. Both are psychopaths. Not every psychopath meets the diagnostic criteria for NPD, but with "grandiose self-worth" and "lack of empathy" on the PCL-R, there is bound to be a correlation between NPD and clinical psychopathy. Indeed, Narcissistic Personality Inventory scores and classic NPD symptoms both correlate moderately with factor 1, factor 2, and PCL-R total score.
“It is not to be thought that the life of darkness is sunk in misery and lost as if in sorrowing. There is no sorrowing. For sorrow is a thing that is swallowed up in death, and death and dying are the very life of the darkness.”
― Jacob Boehme
Little Boy Lost
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ajr8 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:22 am

Unsuccessful sociopaths are in prisons and successful sociopaths are living in the community with few legal problems. Intelligence is sometimes a factor in keeping a sociopath from being exposed or caught. Motivation to avoid incarceration is another, some people don't care if they get arrested, it's those that try to avoid it that tend to be more careful in their antisocial activity.

Low functioning I'd say also relates to impulse control, those that have zero control and are completely uninhibited are low functioning because they can't control their behavior. Those that can choose not to act a certain way when it wouldn't suit their purposes would qualify as higher functioning.
ajr8
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:43 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Gelazar » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:25 pm

How are they all not low functioning?
Gelazar
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:28 am