Our partner

The Official Off Topic Thread

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Re: you are what I say

Postby Bearer-of-Light » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:45 am

Reaper wrote:This is an english speaking forum. There's no need for anyone to be speaking in a foreign language here.

If you want to speak in a foreign language, then find a more appropriate forum for that language.

That's what Audacisist was saying. Thank you for your kindhearted and compassionate reiteration of what has previously been stated. My memory of that rule slipped but has now been reinforced by Audacist. Guilty as charged officer. What a recidivist am I.
Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy. Benjamin Franklin
Bearer-of-Light
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:11 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The Official Off Topic Thread

Postby Dulcet » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:51 pm

Dulcet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:11 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Dulcet » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:04 pm

Dulcet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Dazz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:59 pm

MotherRussia wrote:Use a foreign language and you will likely get banned...wtf. :lol:

Ada is a crypto-fascist thats why.
Dazz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Siegfried » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:02 pm

*mod edit- Image *

That was a joke. Don't ban me.
Last edited by Ada on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed it for you.
Wotan id est furor.
Siegfried
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:11 am

Postby Audacisist » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:09 pm

MotherRussia wrote:Use a foreign language and you will likely get banned...wtf. :lol:

Maybe not banned immediately, but the foreign texts will be edited out and you will be warned not to do it every time you speak another language, eventually it could probably lead to a ban. Last week I spoke in French in the off topic thread and the mods removed it the moment they saw it. And it was only two sentences.
Audacisist
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:11 am

Postby Eight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:23 pm

A shame really.

I think a phrase or a sentence in another language should be allowed.

The idea that it might convey something that damages the site is rather silly since translators exist if mods are concerned.

Generally, other languages are good vehicles for conveying something that is lost when it is translated in English.

All good writing has access to short phrases in a language other than English and the writing is richer for using them occasionally.

The rule against any usage of language other than English, and no swear words, is just silly.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:11 pm

Postby Courtier » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:21 pm

I think a phrase or a sentence in another language should be allowed.

It is, to some degree. I had discussed this with Ada a little in the past after writing in latin with JustVenting and wondering what was allowed since, if I were to write modus operandi, that might also be seen as a pedantic infringement of the rules.

She's reasonable about it. Not speaking for her but paraphrasing roughly the conversation, so long as the context of the phrase is clearly understood and relevant and sensible then it's okay. It's when people start to converse in other languages for the sake of talking in that language that it becomes something she edits out.
Courtier
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Ada » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:32 pm

Eight wrote:I think a phrase or a sentence in another language should be allowed.

Many posters here are quite capable. Of constructing a sentence lasting several hundred words. So relaxing the rule in that way would open a few sets of flood gates. [Yes, the phase would pass. But it'd be annoying in the meantime.]

The idea that it might convey something that damages the site is rather silly since translators exist if mods are concerned.

That's true. But it would turn reading into work. If I had to copy, paste, check, decide if edits were needed, make them, save. On every post with non English content. That would be a pain. Not to mention that as a non speaker of any other language. My edits might well affect the overall sense of the sentence. Rather than being a clean *bleep* of a swear word. Oh and it would also make privacy violations or doxxing more complicated to catch. :?
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (35)

Postby Eight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:59 pm

What you and Courtier say sounds reasonable. Again, a phrase or a sentence seems fine to me, and actually can enhance what one is trying to convey. Some things only come across well in the language of origin.

I think I'm remembering a time in the more distant past where THE RULES were applied with little consideration or logic. Application felt rigid and very rulebound and sometimes nearly punitive. For instance, I remember when someone was made to change their avatar because it has a motto in it that wasn't in English -- and the member supplied the meaning several times to assure the mod that it wasn't anything to be concerned with -- didn't matter; the rule was strictly enforced without any real discussion or respect given to the member. That resulted in hard feelings and backfired as certain members took that as a challenge and devised ways to circumvent or 'get even'. Ended up creating a lot more work for the mod. I also remember times where 'oy vey' or other common idioms were deleted under the guise of The Rule. Sooooo silly. And only served to fire up the bored troops toward a realer insurgency.

Glad to see that cooler minds now prevail.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:11 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post