Our partner

High functioning and Low functioning sociopathy

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: WichitaLineman

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

High functioning and Low functioning sociopathy

Postby SBBro » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:23 am

What determines whether someone is labelled low or high functioning?

It cant be IQ although I imagine there is a correlation.

Is it their own success towards their goals?

Their ability to fit within societies norms?

Their ability to conceal their odd behaviour from everybody?
Dx: thought disorder, ocd.
SBBro
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: High functioning and Low functioning sociopathy

Postby Mr. No One » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 am

I think it is as easy as this. Disorganized Vs. Organized.
A sociopath in my opinion is disorganized and a psychopath is organized.
One is impulsive, the other calculating. One is motivated by instant gratification.
The other by very specific desires. In a nut shell.....that is.
Mr. No One
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby SBBro » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:43 am

Well I have heard that before, but it confuses me, the reason I ask is that my brother is calculating, plans appears organised yet is very self defeating and outwardly appears very odd.

So definitely:

No success.

Ability to fit within social normals, no brushes with the law.

Although can not hide odd behaviour from anybody.

But he plans and tries, its like he just brisks past the threshold with barely enough IQ points, and he has the right attitude and upbringing but just rolled nothing in life in the charm department and does not have enough social skills to fake an EQ(emotional intelligence).

Its actually rather amusing, imagine a narcissistic histrionic sociopath with no charm and poor social skills.
He has the pathological lieing down naturally as every sociopath would and he can convince people of some masks but just not other masks, but in the end no matter what he always leaves people with a poor impression and its inevitable that he blows any cover he has, but he gets by somewhat by people tolerating him as odd or whatever rather than them being oblivious.

I dont really know whether you would label him high or low functioning.
SBBro
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby BlackAndBlues » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:05 am

SBBro wrote:Well I have heard that before, but it confuses me, the reason I ask is that my brother is calculating, plans appears organised yet is very self defeating and outwardly appears very odd.

So definitely:

No success.

But he plans and tries, its like he just brisks past the threshold with barely enough IQ points, and he has the right attitude and upbringing but just rolled nothing in life in the charm department and does not have enough social skills to fake an EQ(emotional intelligence).

Its actually rather amusing, imagine a narcissistic histrionic sociopath with no charm and poor social skills.
He has the pathological lieing down naturally as every sociopath would and he can convince people of some masks but just not other masks, but in the end no matter what he always leaves people with a poor impression and its inevitable that he blows any cover he has, but he gets by somewhat by people tolerating him as odd or whatever rather than them being oblivious.

i remember you asking us a question on how to get people to understand about sociopathy.... if everything you said above is true then how is he manipulating all of your family members... im rather confused....
"The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic."
-Joseph Stalin

Humanity's greatest weakness is that they are moral
-BlackAndBlues
BlackAndBlues
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:28 am

Postby Iniquity » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:31 am

I've decided to delete this post, but it seems it's too late now. The delete button is gone. Oh well.
Iniquity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby SBBro » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:07 pm

BlackAndBlues wrote:
SBBro wrote:Well I have heard that before, but it confuses me, the reason I ask is that my brother is calculating, plans appears organised yet is very self defeating and outwardly appears very odd.

So definitely:

No success.

i remember you asking us a question on how to get people to understand about sociopathy.... if everything you said above is true then how is he manipulating all of your family members... im rather confused....

Well close family is different because we would tolerate, my parents also easily cave in. But that doesnt mean we dont see him as odd, its a matter of knowing the concept of sociopathy once you do its easy to realise but if you dont then you dont know his intentions are bad. The outta family see him as odd, by odd I mean overly narcissistic and histrionic but people dont know of the concept so just label it as weird or whatever not "personality disorder".

A lot of the time when he is in Narc mode and he meets people they will ask mutual acquaintances "wtf is wrong with him?"

In Histrionic mode people can not contain their smirks as he will come off as either immaculate or psychotic.

He seems so unaware of his odd behaviour. I think he would make a really good reality TV character.

Oh to clarify something, he does not reach his dreams but he does con some people here and there.
SBBro
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby BlackAndBlues » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:57 am

SBBro wrote:
BlackAndBlues wrote:

So definitely:

No success.

Well close family is different because we would tolerate, my parents also easily cave in. But that doesnt mean we dont see him as odd, its a matter of knowing the concept of sociopathy once you do its easy to realise but if you dont then you dont know his intentions are bad. The outta family see him as odd, by odd I mean overly narcissistic and histrionic but people dont know of the concept so just label it as weird or whatever not "personality disorder".

A lot of the time when he is in Narc mode and he meets people they will ask mutual acquaintances "wtf is wrong with him?"

In Histrionic mode people can not contain their smirks as he will come off as either immaculate or psychotic.

He seems so unaware of his odd behaviour. I think he would make a really good reality TV character.

Oh to clarify something, he does not reach his dreams but he does con some people here and there.

i dont really know what you mean by "mode" last time i checked, you dont just switch personalities... unless he also has multiple personalities :p (which would make a great reality tv show btw)

also, i noticed that you said it is easy to call sociopathy after understanding what a sociopath is... have you ever thought that maybe you are modifying the facts to fit the theory? id say get him caught and put in the situation where he is forced to have court ordered therapy and then if he is really as ###$ as you say he is then the therapist will tell you and your family.... something tells me that he would be able to explain sociopathy better than you ever could.... another idea would be to just accept it because even if people understand doesnt necessarily mean that things will change.... maybe he will just get better :)
"The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic."
-Joseph Stalin

Humanity's greatest weakness is that they are moral
-BlackAndBlues
BlackAndBlues
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:28 am

Postby jasmin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:59 am

SSBro, I'd agree that maybe it'd take a psych to understand what is really going on with your brother.
I wonder if his switching from one personality to another might mean that it's not ASPD... Maybe he's HPD or NPD or just has some strong traits instead.
Er... I just want to add that I am in no way an expert.

By the way guys, I was once told that sociopaths can still feel affection for a few select people whereas psychopaths can't/don't. Do you think this is true?
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:28 pm

Postby SBBro » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:43 pm

jasmin wrote:By the way guys, I was once told that sociopaths can still feel affection for a few select people whereas psychopaths can't/don't. Do you think this is true?

I dont think so but ofc I could be wrong.

I truly believe he is NPD, HPD, ASPD. When I said modes I was not being literal I just meant whatever fits the context of the situation like if he is conducting buisiness or socializing he can be narcissistic by showing off to gain peoples confidence and admiration.

If he needs to cause a drama for control he can rapidly go from stern and angry to self pity gaining sympathy and framing the situation to his advantage.

So I guess what mood and environment hes in.

The 4 things that convince me he is a socio is:

1. He has the signature pathological lieing patterns of a socio, he can tell a whole story of half lies and projection without showing any signs of nervousness guilt or shame, and without any hesitation change the "facts" as it suites him, I witnessed this myself and his brain is no way wired normally, I really believe he is without a doubt sociopathic.

2. He has said certain things to people that mirror classic sociopathic thoughts that you see in socio books or documentaries, I dont want to repeat exactly what was said but its along the lines of contemplating his parents death and viewing himself as certain peoples god. He also frequently does that insult on a barely conscious level some members here have mentioned, I dont know any normal person that would do these sort of things.

3. He has told me through projection that he does not feel, he has also displayed a constant action to show he truly believes this. Sorry thats cryptic, what he said was:
"X do not feel that is why they do Y." Although everybody does Y but himself.

4. No friends at all, just some acquaintances who do not like him.
SBBro
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby jasmin » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Have you thought that he might have some disorder that prevents people from making friends instead and gets them to act out like an ASPD or NPD person from time to time?
Sorry, I haven't read all your posts. Has he ever committed a crime or something?
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:28 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post