Our partner

Nomadic Antisocial

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: WichitaLineman

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Nomadic Antisocial

Postby CaptainAwesome » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:56 pm

++edited by mod at request of the poster++
CaptainAwesome
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:19 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Nomadic Antisocial

Postby Hucal » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:28 pm

You are referring to the Millon subtype that has a mix with schizoid and avoidant features, yes? I imagine they are a sociopath that basically doesn't get his/her kicks out of spending a lot of time with people... they probably hate people and avoid spending as much time around others as possible. They most likely find others obnoxious and over-emotional, and think interaction with them is a waste of time. When they do have to interact with people, they are cold/aloof, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did not hide their distaste from others.

Just making a guess based on the traits of both, because I have no idea. I was combining sociopathy and schizoid for that example. I wouldn't really know how to explain a sociopath with avoidant traits... to me, they seem like contradictory disorders in a lot of ways. AvPD'ers have low self-esteem, feel socially awkward, self-loathe, self-critical, etc., and I feel like a lot of sociopaths do not usually express themselves in such a way that makes them look weak and timid. I'm sure there are exceptions, though.
Last edited by Hucal on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
22 year old male
Dx: Bipolar NOS
Hucal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby CaptainAwesome » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:40 pm

++edited by mod at request of the poster++
CaptainAwesome
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Maupertuis » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:24 am

Even though I'm not nomadic because I'm stuck here in this house, this antisocial subtype describes me fairly well and I'd prefer a nomadic life if given the chance of one, rather than have to put up with oter people. Perhaps the differences separating me from the stereotype of the nomadic, socipathic criminal are because I have strong Factor 1 as well as Factor 2 traits? But although I'm withdrawn, I don't exactly have the personality traits that are associated with either the schizoid or avoidant disorders such as emotional attachments to the people I live with and use. But their world never rejected me, it was I who rejeted it.
Maupertuis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Platypus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:42 am

I'm a sort of nomad. I relate strongly to Millon's "Remote Schizoid" subtype, but nomadism and this subtype does not seem to be commonly discussed on the Schizoid forum. I guess the stereotypical Remote Schizoid and Nomadic Antisocial are likely to be homeless and not have regular access to the internet! (Maybe they are also two types that are more likely to be low-functioning and less likely to seek help?)

I also feel this way:
Maupertuis wrote:But their world never rejected me, it was I who rejeted it.
No diagnosis, lots of opinions, and a bunch of issues that I haven't quite figured out.
Platypus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:19 pm

Postby Maupertuis » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:20 am

A schizoid diagnosis requires four or more of the following from the DSM-IV in America.

1. Neither desires nor enjoys close relationships, including being part of a family
2. Almost always chooses solitary activities
3. Has little, if any, interest in having sexual experiences with another person
4. Takes pleasure in few, if any, activities
5. Lacks close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
6. Appears indifferent to the praise or criticism of others
7. Shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affect

In England it also requires meeting four or more of these criteria.

1. Emotional coldness, detachment or reduced affect.
2. Limited capacity to express either positive or negative emotions towards others.
3. Consistent preference for solitary activities.
4. Very few, if any, close friends or relationships, and a lack of desire for such.
5. Indifference to either praise or criticism.
6. Taking pleasure in few, if any, activities.
7. Indifference to social norms and conventions.
8. Preoccupation with fantasy and introspection.
9. Lack of desire for sexual experiences with another person.

Again in Europe a diagnosis of avoidant requires that someone meets at least four items from out of a list.

1. Persistent and pervasive feelings of tension and apprehension;
2. Belief that one is socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others;
3. Excessive preoccupation with being criticized or rejected in social situations;
4. Unwillingness to become involved with people unless certain of being liked;
5. Restrictions in lifestyle because of need to have physical security;
6. Avoidance of social or occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact because of fear of criticism, disapproval, or rejection.

Guess how many you need from this list to be diagnosed in America?

1. Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
2. Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked
3. Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed
4. Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations
5. Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy
6. Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others
7. Is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing

So I do have obvious schizoid traits, but not avoidant ones other than a need for physical security.
Maupertuis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Platypus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:38 am

I don't relate to any of the above AvPD traits...except maybe the one you bolded Maupertuis, but what is meant by "physical security?" My lifestyle is restricted, but I see my motivation for doing that as my need for independence and my 'committmentphobia'. (I feel trapped by property ownership, lease agreements etc.)

I don't know if the features (e.g. Avoidant features) in Millon's subtype are meant to refer to the diagnostic traits of that personality disorder. That was not how I interpreted it anyway.
No diagnosis, lots of opinions, and a bunch of issues that I haven't quite figured out.
Platypus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:19 pm

Postby Smiles » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:37 am

I'm geographically nomadic, not mentally (I don't think). I don't feel rejected by anyone because I don't show them anything to reject. I just have habits that require me to relocate somewhat often for my own protection.
Smiles
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:19 am

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post