Our partner

Trauma and Personality Change

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Trauma and Personality Change

Postby crystal_r » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:22 am

Not talking about PD traits or the relationship between trauma and the development of PD traits per se, but just in general....for those of us who experienced trauma, did you notice that your personality changed after your trauma? Like I'm not going to go into detail about what happened to me trauma wise - and I would prefer you didn't ask - but I noticed I became more neurotic and also more open to new experiences following my trauma, which is kind of contradictory come to think of it...but that's what I saw.

So how about you folks? Did your personality change following your trauma? And if it did, what personality traits appeared (or disappeared) do you think, following your trauma? Did you become more antisocial...did you become a recluse...did you acquire the traits I did...?? Do tell! :D
crystal_r
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Trauma and Personality Change

Postby Strange Collage Guy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:52 am

Well the trauma I went through, caused me to accept death more and not just to fear and retract from it as a layman would. It generally caused me to integrate it in my life as a chain reaction, process, or a sort of force that if your not careful it will catch you by surprise. It taught me to embrace it more and understand its deep many meanings.
Strange Collage Guy
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:31 am
Blog: View Blog (18)

Postby ajr8 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:51 am

Mostly it made me not trust people and have a pessimistic view of others. I noticed in my childhood I was very emotional, for good and for bad, and there were several traumatic things that happened in my life that gave me more intense negative emotions like anger and hate. It made me mistrust people and have a very aggressive style of thinking and acting. I think it did change my personality a lot over the years when I was young until I was 14 when I fully developed my PD. By then the traumas had stopped pretty much but the PD has stayed ever since.
ajr8
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby AliceWonders » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:49 am

Crys,

My most impacting trauma happened when I was so young, I can hardly remember the girl I was before it happened. I was told though (when we took it to court, and we had to explaine about how things had changed around the time of the insodent) that I was a relatively happy, healthy, normal little girl with all the hopes and curiousities of all normal little girls. All in all I was just a normal kid until the year it happened. Then I became different. I started getting into fights, causing problems in school, was always in trouble, didn't have many close friends. I was angry, violent and my teacher told my mother I had lost my 'sparkle' :lol: (sparkle)

Of course I wasn't like that all the time; but it was there and it hadn't been prior to that. I switched schools my grade 3 year just because I thought getting out of that school would help me. It didn't. From that time on something was wrong, and no matter how much I tried to run away from it- I couldn't.

I only remember pieces of my childhood and my life, so I can't really say much more; but it did change me in many ways...
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth~Oscar Wilde

Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together~Eugene Ionesco

Once you chose hope anything is possible~ Christopher Reeves
AliceWonders
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Greatexpectations » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:22 am

I know a psychopath, he told me he was 'a good boy till he was 10 years old.
This is when his father died, who he worshiped.
The family was thrown into chaos. Father had his own business which was doing well, but there were depts. That had to be paid off which meant they had to move from large farmhouse with land to a 'ordinary' house which Joe HATED.
His mother lost her husband, status, home and income. She did not cope well she sounds narcissistic, so there would have been no comfort for him there.
He said he couldn't cope, his father was his life.
From there on he was angry, very very angry. Why take my dad?
He cared for no one, as far as he was concerned now there was no one to care about him.

He took off and lived in woods on his own like a hermit, a wild thing.
His sister took him in eventually, he says she was more of a mum to him than his mother had been.

He wanted money, to buy land to be a farmer.
He went deep sea fishing in the arctic, a very dangerous job but the money was amazing.
After collecting enough money he brought a lorry then more lorries till he had a fleet, then he brought land.
He was involved in some shady dealings, they made good money. He was violent very violent, one very angry man/machine.

His father was a tough guy, I suspect a psychopath.
I think Joe was born psychopath. Their family history showed up some pretty suspect characters.

Did the trauma of his fathers death act as a catalyst, changing him from a 'good boy' into this creature?
It certainly accelerated it, whether he would have ultimately been different if his father had stayed alive I just don't know.

-- Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:31 am --

I had a trauma last year. My partner of nearly four years killed himself. I haven't felt the same since.
I don't trust anyone. I don't trust my own judgement. I don't trust the police any more, I used to trust them completely.
I'm angry, with people, with myself, I should have seen it coming there were warning signs that I should have picked up on, but I didn't. I failed him.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Lao Tzu
Greatexpectations
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Strange Collage Guy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:16 am

Greatexpectations wrote:I know a psychopath, he told me he was 'a good boy till he was 10 years old.
This is when his father died, who he worshiped.
The family was thrown into chaos. Father had his own business which was doing well, but there were depts. That had to be paid off which meant they had to move from large farmhouse with land to a 'ordinary' house which Joe HATED.
His mother lost her husband, status, home and income. She did not cope well she sounds narcissistic, so there would have been no comfort for him there.
He said he couldn't cope, his father was his life.
From there on he was angry, very very angry. Why take my dad?
He cared for no one, as far as he was concerned now there was no one to care about him.

He took off and lived in woods on his own like a hermit, a wild thing.
His sister took him in eventually, he says she was more of a mum to him than his mother had been.

He wanted money, to buy land to be a farmer.
He went deep sea fishing in the arctic, a very dangerous job but the money was amazing.
After collecting enough money he brought a lorry then more lorries till he had a fleet, then he brought land.
He was involved in some shady dealings, they made good money. He was violent very violent, one very angry man/machine.

His father was a tough guy, I suspect a psychopath.
I think Joe was born psychopath. Their family history showed up some pretty suspect characters.

Did the trauma of his fathers death act as a catalyst, changing him from a 'good boy' into this creature?
It certainly accelerated it, whether he would have ultimately been different if his father had stayed alive I just don't know.

-- Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:31 am --

I had a trauma last year. My partner of nearly four years killed himself. I haven't felt the same since.
I don't trust anyone. I don't trust my own judgement. I don't trust the police any more, I used to trust them completely.
I'm angry, with people, with myself, I should have seen it coming there were warning signs that I should have picked up on, but I didn't. I failed him.

Why don't you trust your own judgement? And why you angry at yourself? :?
Strange Collage Guy
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Greatexpectations » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:08 pm

"Why don't you trust your own judgement? And why you angry at yourself? :?"

I thought I knew him, I really did, but after 4 years together, I didn't really know him at all. There were things I found out that I hadn't known about.
I feel angry and stupid. For instance after reading these forums I realized something.
He was borderline. If I'd had known that I would have been more alert.
I'd tried to get him to the doctors, his moods were very erratic . He told me he went but I don't think he did. Why didn't I go with him??
He wouldn't take medication. I know meds won't cure BPD but I do believe they can help.

Sometimes something happens and it does change you.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Lao Tzu
Greatexpectations
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Kheo Dofh » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:48 am

The only trauma I ever had made me change from "Taking it personally" to "Taking it like a boss"
Me (Eve) - 17 - Female - Taciturn night owl - Depression, SPD
I (Ǝvɘ) - 17 - Male - Demonic doomsbringer - ASPD, sadism
Myself (Mentlegan) - ??? - Male - Cynical narcissist - arcissism, megalomania
The Core (727 Paranoid Encore) - ??? - Asexual - Realist mastermind - Paranoia[/color]
Kheo Dofh
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Strange Collage Guy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:34 am

Greatexpectations wrote:"Why don't you trust your own judgement? And why you angry at yourself? :?"

I thought I knew him, I really did, but after 4 years together, I didn't really know him at all. There were things I found out that I hadn't known about.
I feel angry and stupid. For instance after reading these forums I realized something.
He was borderline. If I'd had known that I would have been more alert.
I'd tried to get him to the doctors, his moods were very erratic . He told me he went but I don't think he did. Why didn't I go with him??
He wouldn't take medication. I know meds won't cure BPD but I do believe they can help.

Sometimes something happens and it does change you.

Hmm I see.
Strange Collage Guy
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Obviously » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:41 am

I would say the trauma I experienced, which was an emotional one, to have had a triggering effect to something which was already present from before. It amplified my disgust with humans in general and gave me a pretty pessimistic world view. Heck, I would think of suicide, seeing as where I would go from there would be a road filled with darkness. I think a part of me predicted what would happen to me. From there, I've built myself up with science and reason, being analytical, cold, yet understanding. This 'change' happened through my teen years. I remember how "goddamn clichè" my first reaction to this trauma was, and I hated it. I had experienced the same trauma as a child too now that I think about it.

I don't feel anything for anyone anymore, and I can't remember ever having done so either. Looking back, all I've ever cared about is what I've wanted. In fact, as a child, I would never get very excited by going into the toy store, and usually weighed what I wanted there carefully. I think even my mother found me strange in this regard. "Don't you want anything, son?" - "No." I really hated following my parents around, lol. :roll:
Obviously
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:31 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post