Our partner

Are psychopaths generally happier than most people?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Are psychopaths generally happier than most people?

Postby cyzoner » Tue May 10, 2011 7:30 pm

In a lot of my reading and research about ASPD I have found it to be linked many times with depression. I really find this very surprising, since psychopaths are unable to feel anxiety or remorse, I would have thought they would be very content people. Not to mention they generally strive for an exciting and stimulating lifestyle.

Can someone please clear this up for me?
cyzoner
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:06 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Are psychopaths generally happier than most people?

Postby Mr. No One » Tue May 10, 2011 8:01 pm

I would say in general yes. I for the life of me don't get how they linked depression with psychopathy. I guess this is where "aspd" splits in my opinion. Disorganized sociopaths vs organized psychopaths. Sociopaths may suffer from depression. Psychopaths no.
Mr. No One
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 am
Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby EarlGreyDregs » Tue May 10, 2011 8:04 pm

I don't have AsPD, but I do have Narc traits which are related to AsPD in ways. The thing is, I have a dual diagnosis of Borderline PD.

If I didn't have BPD, but just had NPD, I probably would be very happy. It's the BPD that gives me depression.

People that are completely self-absorbed & don't care for others have a potential to be happier. Though I claim no expertise, its just my opinion.

*runs out of AsPD forum*
EarlGreyDregs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Demon » Tue May 10, 2011 9:24 pm

Last time I went to a psych she gave me an anxiety and depression test to complete because I told her that my doc had given me a prescription for anti-depressants and I didn't think I needed them. I told her I don't feel depressed and I know I do not have anxiety. So, anyway, I took the test she gave me and while it definitely showed I don't have anxiety, the results displayed moderate depression. Again, I told her that I really don't feel depressed though. I wouldn't say I'm happy though either. The psych told me it's possible that the reason the results may have showed depression is because of the constant boredom I feel. I am always looking for that thrill and nothing in my lifestyle is satisfying that (legally anyway). I also think it has a lot to do with the frustration I feel not being able to give in to my urges every time I feel like it. Temptation can be tormenting to say the least or maybe it's not temptation that is the real problem, but the desire for instant gratification. It makes temptation that much worse.
I'm going to show you how good it feels to be bad
Demon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Onebravegirl » Tue May 10, 2011 9:54 pm

I appreciate what you have said Demon. Do you identify with Dysthymia? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001916/
I can only imagine how tiring and frustrating it must be to constantly have to restrain yourself. I see you as kinda a Mental Ninja!
One
Two men looked through bars. One saw Mud, the other saw Stars.
Onebravegirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:06 pm

Postby Demon » Tue May 10, 2011 10:42 pm

onebravegirl wrote:I appreciate what you have said Demon. Do you identify with Dysthymia? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001916/

From that website you linked:

Symptoms

The main symptom of dysthymia is a low, dark, or sad mood on most days for at least 2 years. In children and adolescents, the mood can be irritable instead of depressed and may last for at least 1 year. - No. I don't feel low, dark or sad.

In addition, two or more of the following symptoms will be present almost all of the time that the person has dysthymia:

Feelings of hopelessness - No

Too little or too much sleep - My sleep can be restless at times, but for the most part I normally get a good night's sleep. I always try to get at least 5 hours sleep each night, if not more.

Low energy or fatigue - Yes, I always feel tired in the middle of the day for some reason. Maybe too many late nights and early mornings.

Low self-esteem - No, my self-esteem is fine. I feel confident in myself and I'd say I've got a pretty healthy ego.

Poor appetite or overeating - No. I eat two regular meals a day. Breakfast and dinner.

Poor concentration - No

People with dysthymia will often take a negative or discouraging view of themselves, their future, other people, and life events. Problems often seem more difficult to solve. - I often feel a lot of contempt towards other people and there have been times in the past where I've experienced self-hatred, but I haven't experienced that in awhile.

I can only imagine how tiring and frustrating it must be to constantly have to restrain yourself. I see you as kinda a Mental Ninja!
One

Mental ninja... That's an interesting concept. What do you mean by that exactly?
I'm going to show you how good it feels to be bad
Demon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby user65218 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:57 pm

I know I'm happy as ###$ all the time, even when I am violent(Which is becoming more frequent since I came here). But occasionnaly I get mad. But never sad, bitter or unpleasant
Noticed how cruel my online name is?
No english person knows how to pronounce it
Other people try to say it in english
And suddenly, mod preview
One, If quoting Scrubs is illegal now, then I don't wanna live on this forum anymore
If you are ######6 with my pic, look at it before doing so... It tells the future
user65218
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 am

Postby crystal_richardson » Wed May 11, 2011 12:17 am

Mr. No One wrote: I would say in general yes. I for the life of me don't get how they linked depression with psychopathy. I guess this is where "aspd" splits in my opinion. Disorganized sociopaths vs organized psychopaths. Sociopaths may suffer from depression. Psychopaths no.

Happiness is more than the absence of depression or other negative emotions. Not only that but it itself is fundamentally emotional. Thus, psychopaths can never be happy. So get off your high horse Mr. No One, psychopaths are not top $#%^. It's a lonely, colourless existence. If they can manage to obtain continuous instant gratification, then 'mildly satisfied' is their upper limit, if that.

Other than mania, I don't know of any mental illness that exceeds 'normal' in terms of positive emotional experience and satisfaction with life. And mania is only temporary..
crystal_richardson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Poke » Wed May 11, 2011 12:54 am

Looks like someone's cranky today!
I'll take mildly satisfied over debilitating sadness any day ;).
Poke
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:06 pm

Postby crystal_richardson » Wed May 11, 2011 1:01 am

I think the biggest hurdle normals have to get over with regard to understanding the psychopath's experience is that the psychopath's experience of the world is so different from theirs - as revealed by research into psychopaths' differential responses to stimuli and brain functioning - that trying to project their self into the psychopath's experience will simply not work. They (psychopaths) are that way because they experience the world differently in many important ways, and their different behaviour is a result of their different experience. Thus, to project our experience into the behaviour of the psychopath is ridiculous. It's like trying to imagine what it's like to be a snail, and then concluding that it must be really boring because all snails do is...nothing to us.
crystal_richardson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post