Our partner

Psychopathy and Serial Killers

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: WichitaLineman

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Re: Psychopathy and Serial Killers

Postby AlAtBar » Sat May 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Many are likely malignant narcissists.
AlAtBar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby ajr8 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:56 am

I don't think all serial killers are psychopaths internally, many of them probably have severe levels of paraphilias if their murders have a sexual element. Dahmer was a necrophiliac and he was desperately lonely, the only interaction with other people he ever had was with his victims before he killed them. Everyone probably considers him a psychopath because his crimes are definitely antisocial and your actions are all that matter to the police or to doctors and therapists who treat violent criminals. You can be as remorseful and empathetic as you want but if you have a pile of bodies under your belt you are still a psychopath to everyone, even if you are not a real one in theory.
ajr8
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Steve-o » Sun May 15, 2011 1:06 am

ajrocker8 wrote:You can be as remorseful and empathetic as you want but if you have a pile of bodies under your belt you are still a psychopath to everyone

If you're not remorseful or empathetic do you think that makes you a psychopath?

I ask, because it seems like that's the common assumption, but my doctor doesn't think so.
Steve-o
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:13 am

Postby wooster » Sun May 15, 2011 1:18 am

ajrocker8 wrote: You can be as remorseful and empathetic as you want but if you have a pile of bodies under your belt you are still a psychopath to everyone, even if you are not a real one in theory.
Is being a highly empathetic and apologetic necrophiliac a lesser stigma than being a psychopath? :? Looks like psychopathy got a real bad rap in the common parlance - people use it as an umbrella term for everything, from paraphiliacs to retards & etc.
"Oyyoy oy oy, accelerate ze protons!" (Eugene Hütz)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPDFkQbNbwk
wooster
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:13 pm

Postby Onebravegirl » Sun May 15, 2011 1:22 am

I dont think so. What came to mind was when a person is a murderer and sent to death row. The family of the victim come to the execution. Are they Psychopaths? I dont think so. I think they get so deep in grief that they think execution will make them feel a sense of justice being done. From what I have read though, it doesnt help much.
I saw this movie called The last house on the left. In my mind, the parents are as much Psychopaths as the others in the film.
But I am sure it wasnt based on a real life story, so whats that worth? Dunno.
One
Two men looked through bars. One saw Mud, the other saw Stars.
Onebravegirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ajr8 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:24 am

fiveintime wrote:
ajrocker8 wrote:You can be as remorseful and empathetic as you want but if you have a pile of bodies under your belt you are still a psychopath to everyone

If you're not remorseful or empathetic do you think that makes you a psychopath?

I ask, because it seems like that's the common assumption, but my doctor doesn't think so.

Good question, my first reply would be yes absolutely. If you can kill dozens of people for psychological reasons without ever feeling compassion or remorse, most people will consider you a psychopath, including scientists and doctors who specialize in psychopaths. But these constructs are all too theoretical and they don't necessarily apply to most people in real life. My guess is actual psychopaths are very rare but antisocial personality is much more common but it's not at all the same as psychopath and not as severe an illness either. At least that's my humble opinion.

If your doctors disagrees maybe he feels there are other factors that lead to a lack of any emotional responses to other people. It could turn out there are other explanations for those problems besides just being a psychopath, such as various forms of autism for example.
ajr8
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Demon » Sun May 15, 2011 1:30 am

fiveintime wrote:If you're not remorseful or empathetic do you think that makes you a psychopath?

I'm curious, are you saying that if I saw your doctor and told him that I'm a serial killer and I feel no guilt, empathy or remorse whatsoever, he wouldn't conclude that I might be a psychopath?
Interesting.
I'm going to show you how good it feels to be bad
Demon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:13 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ajr8 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:41 am

In general, most people feel guilty after doing something wrong. Some people, such as psychopaths, do not feel guilty after doing something wrong. And then some people do feel guilty about doing something wrong, but feeling guilty does not stop them from doing it. They do it anyway. That's how I feel when I deliberately choose bad decisions. Guilt will not stop me, only the fear of getting caught does.
ajr8
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Demon » Sun May 15, 2011 1:43 am

I never feel guilt over anything.

ajrocker8 wrote:And then some people do feel guilty about doing something wrong, but feeling guilty does not stop them from doing it. They do it anyway. That's how I feel when I deliberately choose bad decisions. Guilt will not stop me, only the fear of getting caught does.

If you feel guilt, then you must also feel remorse, right? How do you deal with that, I mean, if you continue to do the same thing anyway?
Last edited by Demon on Sun May 15, 2011 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm going to show you how good it feels to be bad
Demon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:13 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby wooster » Sun May 15, 2011 1:49 am

Demon wrote:I never feel guilt over anything.
That might be because you avoid doing anything what would result in feeling guilty. You're aware of your guilt-treshold - you're in control of your conscience. You differentiate acts from fantasy.
"Oyyoy oy oy, accelerate ze protons!" (Eugene Hütz)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPDFkQbNbwk
wooster
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post