Our partner

The Sociopath 'Stare'

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

The Sociopath 'Stare'

Postby tenderisthenight » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:09 am

Sociopaths are noted for their 'cold' eyes. I was wondering if any antisocials find their stare gives off any hints about themselves?
tenderisthenight
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The Sociopath 'Stare'

Postby Mr_Jones » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:31 am

tenderisthenight wrote:Sociopaths are noted for their 'cold' eyes. I was wondering if any antisocials find their stare gives off any hints about themselves?

It's one of the first things an old gf of mine took notice to which made her question who I really was. Which of course lead to a $#%^ storm. I usually pay very close attention to what I am portraying on my face and in my eyes. I've noticed sometimes I will look at someone and they say that it's like i'm looking through them with disgust and disapointment, this is how I feel about almost every person I have encountered. And when I am not portraying an emotion or looking at someone with disgust I have a very plain almost stone like stare which often makes people ask if something is wrong, this gets very annoying after the billionth time. I don't think they read into it very much. I really don't think people care enough for one another to give it anymore thought than that. However if I did not make sure I had the right face on all the time people would no doubt begin to question me. Sorry if I rambled I tend to do that.
"The real me and the concept of a true, healthy relationship can't exist on the same plane."
Mr_Jones
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby wooster » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:59 am

BS. Upon the contrary to popular belief, I haven't murdered anyone yet. Stares can be deceiving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKl_Jwc8deU

Do some search, don't be a sloth. > antisocial-personality/topic44309.html
wooster
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby tenderisthenight » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:40 am

Good replies so far. I'm trying to come to terms with what I might be, if anything, and thinking socio may be a slight possibility. However, it's be mentioned to me I have this 'stare' or 'look'. And I notice it by people, though not all people, having a very hard time looking into my eyes; it's usually people I come into contact with on a regular basis. They give off this 'what are you' type of look. I've also been told by people that I'm extremely intimidating, which doesn't make sense, as I'm not some ravishing, hulking, ugly freak; I'm actually pretty good-looking, and average build. Regardless of what I am, this 'look' I give off is really bothering me, because I don't want people to start thinking things on me now - that could lead me to some trouble.
tenderisthenight
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby nightstrife » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:50 am

Sometimes when I'm on public transportation and bored, I'll pick somebody and stare into their eyes until they start to look really uncomfortable. Nothing "psycho" though...just something to pass the time.
nightstrife
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby kstar22bassist » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:40 am

I've been reading Snakes in Suits, which is a fairly popular book about psychopathy, and in it they talked about this test administered to mental health and criminal justice students (people who trained to be in contact with us). When talking to known psychopaths, they all mentioned like the person was looking through them with dead eyes. Separately, the test subjects reported feeling sick to their stomach, weak, short of breath, racing heart-beat, nauseous, skin-crawling, and a sense of fascination, dread, or intimidation.

The section on this ended with people saying that they felt the need to flee from the psychopath, that they felt like they were next for lunch.

I read that and lol'd. It made my day.
Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Abnormal psychology is a gun pointing straight at your brain. Genetic predispositions load that gun. The environment pulls that trigger.
kstar22bassist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:38 pm

Postby undenied » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:22 pm

tenderisthenight wrote:Sociopaths are noted for their 'cold' eyes. I was wondering if any antisocials find their stare gives off any hints about themselves?

Floating over from the NPD board...I know I give incorrect eye-contact. Sometimes I stare too much and make people nervous, other times I refuse to give it at all. I won't realize I'm doing it until the other person starts (re)acting strangely. I thought it was just due to lack of understanding body language properly, and would assume the same with AsPD. Although it could also be unsed in a manipulative or threatening manner if controled (in both cases of NPD and AsPD).

Mr_Jones wrote:I've noticed sometimes I will look at someone and they say that it's like i'm looking through them with disgust and disapointment

Oh yeah! I get that. I'm told my face looks very condescending, like I smelled something bad. I jokingly blame my French anscestry.

*floats away now*
  • Just because I'm crazy doesn't mean I'm wrong.
  • Please feel free to request citations/sources.
  • Here's my Dx.
  • I really like making lists.
undenied
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby burgandysnowflake » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Hey, this fantastical stare that "sociopaths" seem to have can be seen in everyone. It's called B-O-R-E-D-O-M!

People see what they want to see in another's eyes more than half the time, it's called a self-fulfilling prophecy. If they look long enough, and think they see fear, it will look like fear. The rest of the face has a lot to do with what the "eyes" may or may not be saying. The face works as a whole to let you know what's going on, not just the eyes.
burgandysnowflake
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:38 pm

Postby Mr_Jones » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:43 pm

Whatchasay wrote:^well said. To re-state my initial post, the only people with a "Dead" stare would be murderers.. and i base that on the fact that murder changes people. Anyone can glare, or look evil.. or devoid of emotion if they want to, and.. as so eloquently stated above, 99% of the time you see what you want to see. (refer to my second post, regarding the fact that you know they're a psychopath before hand plays a huge role in what you see).

I agree with 99% of what you said. I shall take a leap of faith and assume that you have yet to look into everyones eyes on this planet. Perhaps your post should read, out of the many people I have looked at murderers are the only ones with a "dead" stare. Though then your following sentence "you see what you want to see" will discreded your previous statement. I think the only answer to this post is, Clearly none of us know what the ###$ we're talking about.
"The real me and the concept of a true, healthy relationship can't exist on the same plane."
Mr_Jones
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Mr_Jones » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:14 pm

Whatchasay wrote:You might feel as if you don't know, but i speak in terms of generalities. Obviously, it's impossible to say anything is 100% .

my base point, in all of this is that being a sociopath does not give you special eyes. Anyone else see this recurring theme of the antisocials in this forum seeking others approval for things that make them special? Some examples, this thread, the thread about psychopaths waging war on "normals".. the thread about sociopaths being able to read people better than everyone else... To hopefully stop all these unappealing cries for attention, let me state; BEING A SOCIOPATH/PSYCHOPATH/ANTISOCIAL DOES NOT GIVE YOU SPECIAL POWERS OR UNIQUE PHYSICAL TRAITS THAT NO OTHER HUMANS HAVE. YOU ARE STILL HUMAN. I was hoping the fact that i posted that line in every one of those threads would stop people from posting topics on the subjects.. but that was wishful thinking.

Edit; This post is not directed at any single person. it is in general, please don't misunderstand and think i'm "Attacking" you.

No I completely agree with you, I just think that none of us really know why some people have that look and what causes it. I can read and understand people better than most however I think it has very little to do with my disorder. But again it could, I don't know and you don't know. Being the way I am certainly helps me to observe others emotions without any invested but it does not make me a superhuman, superior in my eyes yes but nothing too special. And I'm not out looking for approval of things that make me special, I just enjoy it when people can relate to me. I've spent my entire life thinking I was the only person like this and that something must be missing inside. I'm glad you posted that though and that you won't take $#%^ from all the kids who think it's cool to have aspd and that it makes you a super human hybrid of sorts.
Mr_Jones
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post