Our partner

Sociopathy: Born or made?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: WichitaLineman

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Sociopathy: Born or made?

Postby szpk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:51 pm

Main point: Is one born with sociopathy or does one grow into it? If both is possible, then is there a fundamental difference between the two?

Context: So about half a year ago, I started to see a therapist after having an interesting turn of events that left me in catatonia for a day or so. Since it apparently was caused by the hilarious level of stress I was going through, I figured it'd be the healthy idea to reevaluate the way I was living. One thing that came to my mind was the mood swings I've been having and professional opinion sounded like a good idea.

Long story short, apparently it turns out that I'm dealing with bipolar II and "Personality Disorder Otherwise Unspecified with Antisocial and Borderline Traits". Though the former was what was troubling me, the latter attracted my attention. It was something I haven't really thought about before besides the times when I took Internet personality quizzes or couldn't stop smiling at my godson's funeral. Anyways, I've been observing myself since the diagnosis and noticed some interesting things.

So far, it appears that my hypomanic phases correspond with more-or-less sociopathic mindset. I simply feel wholesome--as if there's nothing that could concern me in the world. I certainly enjoy the assurance that I don't need to mingle with the mediocrity surrounding me and would do anything to keep myself this way--but I am also aware that, sooner or later, this will wear out and I will fall back into the depressive phase. In those, sure, I feel #######5. But objectively speaking, I'm a much warmer and considerate human being when I feel #######5. I'd rather have more #######5 me's around me than happy me's. Happy me's a God-damned narcissistic bastard. Anyways.

When I've talked to my therapist about this, she theorized that perhaps I have synthesized a sociopathic demeanor as a defense mechanism. Which kinda made sense--being unconcerned by others ensures that there is lesser cause for my mania to wither, not to mention overblown ego that correlates with both. But the nature of ASPD is such that it's not really something you can switch in and out of. Which is what makes me ask you guys that question.

What is the fundamental nature of sociopathy? Are "sociopathy" and "psychopathy" two different states of being? Is it a part of one's design or what?

Also: Hi I'm new. :D
szpk
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Sociopathy: Born or made?

Postby insincerity » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:47 pm

While sociopathy is ill-defined, there is a definite difference between AsPD and psychopathy. AsPD is generally speaking a socialized development that is little more than a scientific description of criminality. Psychopathy is thought to be genetic and involves a rewiring of the brain.
insincerity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:31 pm

Postby VTheChaosTheoryV » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:10 pm

I don't feel like debating this, but i still will put my input. I believe we are all born without a conscience, hence making us all psychopathic at the beginning. Our culture is what we define as right from wrong. Then we grow up debating if we should follow societies rules or not, based upon our impulse, or instinct to hurt someone. Those who are low functioning cannot control these impulses, thus incarcerated. Those higher functioning have more control over this natural impulse. I mean everyone gets angry and always has the thought come into their mind,"I wish you were dead". It's the natural instinct within us to want to do such, but we realize to remain civilized is to control this impulse.
Trust all the things I tell you are true, dress up in your best so I can be proud of you, and never believe I won't turn on you, and never believe I do this for you. You're leading me on again and I find it, yeah I like it, and I'm reeling in awe for sure, now I know it was given to me.
VTheChaosTheoryV
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:31 am

Postby 0101 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Fun fact: hypo-mania is almost indistinguishable from NPD. Now go show off to your friends..
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Jando » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:27 pm

insincerity wrote:While sociopathy is ill-defined, there is a definite difference between AsPD and psychopathy. AsPD is generally speaking a socialized development that is little more than a scientific description of criminality. Psychopathy is thought to be genetic and involves a rewiring of the brain.

Well.. i guess i'm a psychopath then? i had perfectly healthy childhood without any abuse of any kind. I have nothing to be angry about in my childhood, that i recall atleast. I wonder what causes a persons brain to go that way then? Meh... i think i'll start to study psychology!
"The muffin man?" "THE MUFFIN MAN!"
Jando
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:31 pm

Postby VTheChaosTheoryV » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:27 pm

There are no such things as "friends", don't delude yourself.
Trust all the things I tell you are true, dress up in your best so I can be proud of you, and never believe I won't turn on you, and never believe I do this for you. You're leading me on again and I find it, yeah I like it, and I'm reeling in awe for sure, now I know it was given to me.
VTheChaosTheoryV
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Jando » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:35 pm

VTheChaosTheoryV wrote:There are no such things as "friends", don't delude yourself.

You're trying too hard.
"The muffin man?" "THE MUFFIN MAN!"
Jando
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:31 pm

Postby VTheChaosTheoryV » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Jando wrote:
VTheChaosTheoryV wrote:There are no such things as "friends", don't delude yourself.

You're trying too hard.

Trying too har- what? look, trying has nothing to do with "friends". People are nothing more than mere acquaintances to one another to make their ends meet; to come full circle. I'm better than that, because i know this.
VTheChaosTheoryV
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby insincerity » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:48 pm

Just because you don't have or need friends doesn't mean that others don't need and have real friends. Just because you're egotistical shouldn't make your worldview wholly egocentric, it means you lose perspective.
insincerity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby VTheChaosTheoryV » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

No, i fully understand people have friends, but that doesn't mean your a naturally good person because of this. The other person considers you a friend for SOME reason, and it's just a form of using the person; or else why bother even talking to them? :lol:
VTheChaosTheoryV
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post