Our partner

Six-year-old with possible personallity disorder.

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: WichitaLineman

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Six-year-old with possible personallity disorder.

Postby ssmom » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:06 am

Hi All! I'm wondering if our story is familiar to any of you and if you have any advice for us?

We have been on a wild ride for the past six years with our adopted daughter. She was adopted at 4 days old. From the beginning she was very hard to please. She cried a lot. As she got older we referred to her as "strong-willed". She seemed to always pick the one thing in the room she couldn't do or touch to do or touch it. She has always been beautiful and attracts people to herself. She is very extroverted and always talking with strangers which can sometimes be embarrassing-especially now that she has started asking people personal questions like if they are married and if they have a credit card and if they are following her (when the are behind her).

She has been seeing a therapist for a year and a psychiatrist for six months. She is on Prozac for depression. The Prozac has taken her outbursts down a notch. She no longer rips the closet door of the wall and has a lot less crying spells. Sometimes she'd start to cry and when you ask her why she'd say something like "I miss my cousins." She does have two cousins, but she never met them. She has also stopped people in the store and told them that her sister is in the hospital, but she doesn't have a sister.

Her last visit to the psychiatrist he said that maybe she has bipolar. He told me to keep a journal and to call if things got worse. They have been worse, but I think just because I'm at my point of exasperation, especially since I just want a peaceful house and over the holidays it has been anything but peaceful. I called but he can't gt me in any earlier. Anyway, what I read about bipolar doesn't fit her. She doesn't seem to have extreme moods as much as she seems to be absent of any REAL emotions. There isn't anything that she likes, except she is obsessed with food. Every place we go she acts like she never gets fed and asks for food. If food enters a room she can no longer concentrate on anything else. She talks about it all the time as well.

We just saw her MD and the doc asked her to name five people who she loves. She named two classmates and herself. Our doc said she didn't think it was BP. She thinks maybe Aspergers or a personality disorder.

At the present time, she has been peeing herself when she is mad. Christmas Eve she peed because she didn't get another cookie. She got a letter from Santa saying that she couldn't get all of her presents because she wasn't being kind. She stood there with a huge smile on her face and didn't seem to care. After weeks of peeing only when mad, I put a pull up on her yesterday. She didn't seem to care. She put it on and came out and told her brother to "feel this".

Does anyone have experiences that are similar to this story?

She will recite exactly what is going to happen if she breaks the rules and then she does it. One morning last week when she peed, I put a not so pretty outfit on her and said that she had to wear this because I didn't want her to pee on her new clothes. She said with a smile, "You can wear pretty clothes because you don't pee on yourself. I can't because I peed."

She seems to pick everyone's "hot buttons". She doesn't do the same behaviors with me as she does with my husband, mom, friends, etc. She does the thing that we individually dislike the most, ie bothering my friend's dog, saying "you don't love me" to my husband, etc.

ANNNNYYYY helpful advice would be appreciated. I know that there is definitely something very wrong, but I don't know what else to do. Her therapist and her sticker charts isn't getting me anywhere.
ssmom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:49 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Six-year-old with possible personallity disorder.

Postby Myers » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:23 am

For now, I'm just going to say that it's way too early to tell. All of your information points to psychopathy, but it would be very damaging to her if she was treated like a psychopath at such a young age. I don't know anything about your family or her past, but there's a possibility that she could have a PD that's at least treatable.

If she is a psychopath, there isn't much you can do. At least not ethically.
Myers
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:49 pm

Postby kchiefs » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:33 pm

I'm going with myers, strangely, on this one. My big concern would be why the hell a 6 year old is on prozac. It is a drug that is not what it seems. You should really do some research on it and not from the people that make it. Start here http://www.drugawareness.org/

Have you tried Behavior therapist, especially one that is good at Cognitive Behavior Therapy. This is a drug-less therapy and one of the few where they have seen results in people with certain personality disorders, such as sociopath/psychopath. I do not believe you can ever cure psychopathy as it is something you are born with, according to the nature vs. nurture debate. But you can help by taking them to someone that has more experience in this personality disorder area.

But understand that psychos/socios are extremely rare, and women with this disorder are even more rare. Either way I would seek out a Cognitive Behavior Therapist. Do not use drugs and risk retarding her ability to adapt to her own mind, she may be able to adapt to society on her own. Just be patient and do not give up, it can be extremely lonely and frustrating dealing with a personality disorder from both sides of the disorder.
kchiefs
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:49 am

Postby upstream » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:30 am

I'm not saying that the child has a risk of developing adult psychopathy, but this information might be of interest to you.
Research was done on the childhood precursors of adult psychopathy, and printed in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology.

Here is the link to the study (you might need to copy and paste the link into your browser):

http://www.aapb.org.ar/act-cient/Early%20Temperamental-Psychophysiological-Precursors-Adult%20(II%20parte%20Chieri).pdf

It might help you to seek out forums for childhood conduct disorder, I think there might even be one here at psychforums somewhere.

And I have to agree with kchiefs btw, prozac for a 6 year old sounds absurd.
upstream
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:49 pm

Postby ssmom » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:39 am

Thanks for the info. I was very hesitant to put her on Prozac and I cried as I got it from Walgreens, but I was hoping it would be our "answer". And, as I said it has done a lot in terms of her being calmer. She is just still mean and will turn on you in a heartbeat. I already planned to tell the psychiatrist, when we finally get to see him, that I want to take her off of it. I don't want to just stop it. I'm not sure of the proper way to "ween" her body off of it. Believe me my family doesn't even take Advil when we have a headache. I've tried cutting sugar out of her diet, wheat, then dairy, etc. We only eat whole foods. She takes fish oil pills, etc.

I'm still in search of another therapist. The therapist that she sees now just seems confused.

I'm also torn because I can't find anything else that has symptoms that match her, other than a personality disorder. One thing, however, that keeps me from being certain is that she often seems to talk and not make any sense. It's difficult to describe but she rattles on and words are coming out but it's almost nonsense-these moments make me think that we are missing something and that there is some kind of confusion in her brain. But, how can she be doing so well with academics if she is confused? Also, there are other times where she is so "together" and "normal" and everything she says is appropriate and nice and even overly mature for her age. She has been seeing a speech therapist since June and this woman is very confused as well. Sometimes during the session my daughter blows her away with how wonderful she did and other times it's terrible. We honestly can't tell if she is "playing" us and just doesn't want to do it that day or if she really is "out of it". I think once I find that answer to this question I'll be better able to help her/us and find the right person to give us answers.
ssmom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby asphyx » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:46 pm

If she has a cluster-B personality disorder you must realise that drugs do not fix them or make them any better.
asphyx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:49 pm

Postby ssmom » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:15 pm

asphyx wrote:If she has a cluster-B personality disorder you must realise that drugs do not fix them or make them any better.

Yes, I realize that, but it's only been since seeing the doc last week that I had even considered a personality disorder. For the past two years the only thing anyone said to us was that she could be "depressed". Even now, I'm trying to research every other possibility other than a personality disorder, since she is only 6.
ssmom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby kchiefs » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:58 pm

ssmom wrote:
asphyx wrote:If she has a cluster-B personality disorder you must realise that drugs do not fix them or make them any better.

Yes, I realize that, but it's only been since seeing the doc last week that I had even considered a personality disorder. For the past two years the only thing anyone said to us was that she could be "depressed". Even now, I'm trying to research every other possibility other than a personality disorder, since she is only 6.

You are 100% positive that this child is not being abused? It's a hard question but it is what made a lot of us the way we are.
kchiefs
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:49 am

Postby ssmom » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:21 pm

You are 100% positive that this child is not being abused? It's a hard question but it is what made a lot of us the way we are.[/quote]

Positive.
ssmom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Myers » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:19 am

ssmom wrote:One thing, however, that keeps me from being certain is that she often seems to talk and not make any sense. It's difficult to describe but she rattles on and words are coming out but it's almost nonsense-these moments make me think that we are missing something and that there is some kind of confusion in her brain. But, how can she be doing so well with academics if she is confused? Also, there are other times where she is so "together" and "normal" and everything she says is appropriate and nice and even overly mature for her age.

Is the content of her speech odd and bizarre, or is the form of her sentencing and phrasing disorganized? It's important.
Myers
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:49 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post