Our partner

"Do you know you're insane?"

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

"Do you know you're insane?"

Postby Mr_Mogwai » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:37 am

Taken from the Movie Se7en: (Link down below.)

"I've been trying to figure something in my head, and maybe you can help me out, yeah? When a person is insane, as you clearly are, do you know that you're insane? Maybe you're just sitting around, reading "Guns and Ammo", masturbating in your own feces, do you just stop and go, "Wow! It is amazing how fcking crazy I really am!"? Yeah. Do you guys do that?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21gaUp1DvVs

SO do you think people are aware?
Order will not protect you anymore, my friend. I will rain chaos, even if it hurts me, ’cause I would rather see you lose than win myself.
Mr_Mogwai
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:43 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: "Do you know you're insane?"

Postby Reaper » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:43 am

I don't think crazy people really know they're crazy because, to them, their behavior is normal or at least understandable in their own mind.

What really defines 'crazy' though?

I've been called crazy a few times in the past and I certainly don't think I am.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ScarletRaven » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:55 am

I think if you are born "insane" they won't know the difference between sanity and insanity until someone points it out to them.

However if they were born sane and then turned insane I guess they would know the difference.
I am the queen of the ward, baby
ScarletRaven
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:43 pm

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:47 am

I think it would depend on the condition and your definition of "insane."

Stephen Fry is a well-known guy in the UK who suffers from bi-polar depression and he's very much aware of how mentally ill he is.

Other conditions, such as schizophrenia, might be harder as it's a condition that severely warps a person's perspective and adds in some paranoia. A healthy amount of paranoia would stop anyone accepting a diagnosis from someone else, or continuing to believe it.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:43 pm

Postby naps » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:04 pm

I think many people have their moments, depending on their disorder.

Most of mine are anxiety-based and there are times when I become manic. During these episodes I am too self centered to be aware of how I am behaving. When you're reacting inappropriately to certain stimuli, it's easy to get caught up in the moment, overwhelmed by whatever is triggering you, and your external response is perceived as wholly internal.

I've been told by friends that in certain situations, people have looked at me and twirled their fingers around their temple, the universal gesture for crazy. Hearing this always comes as a surprise, so in cases such as this, I'd say no.

In more serious psychotic disorders, I think there is a lot more at play, and it's not as simple. I have an interest in schizophrenia, and in witnessing people with severely psychotic behavior, there are times when I can see a kind of exhaustive pain in their facial expressions. I'm not sure if this is due to their awareness of how sick they are or just a reaction to inner delusions, but it always seemed somewhat poignant to me.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:43 am

Postby antisocialsocialclub » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:25 pm

I think people throw around the word crazy a lot, especially because crazy = fun to most people. It's only when the mental illness/PD debilitates you that it becomes not-so-fun. People romanticize it like a super power almost at times. For example, Bipolar gives you creative abilities. Hahaha! It also makes me totally useless half the time.

I truly realized I was crazy when the "fun" comments from friends and family turned into comments delivered with a tone of concern. Comments such as "you have really changed" or "you're saying stuff that doesn't make sense."

I remain pretty objective on my meds. So when I do take them it gives me a lense to look backward and see how "crazy" I have behaved.

I'm also objectively aware of social expectations and norms and I can see I don't follow them. I don't get mad at myself anymore for it.

As long as I am functioning I allow myself wiggle room to be a little nuts. That is my own personal rule.

But to answer your actual question post-tangent, no. Or at least, not at first. And even if someone points out you are crazy, it could be entirely colloquial in nature.

To be seriously aware you're teetering on the edge can sometimes be something you discover in hindsight sadly.
Bipolar II, PTSD
INXX (INTP-INFJ)
antisocialsocialclub
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 am

Postby SakraNomoko » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:22 am

It probably depends on how much such awareness would affect someone's psyche. If whatever is called insanity is serious enough, the mind may immediately reject the notion out of hand to preserve the positive mental outlook that aids in the survival of our species.

E.g. "The chair you are sitting on isn't real." as opposed to "That dress isn't actually the color you think it is."
SakraNomoko
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:43 am

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:43 am

i have been called crazy, i remember a friend gave me the number of a psychiatrist they knew, that kind of bugged me, because they were my friend, and they aren't supposed to judge me like that

i guess we are more fun than everyone else, however there are times where i really suffer. my world is terrifying, because my mind is on the fritz, like you're losing control of your emotions and thought process, that's not fun
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:58 am

crystal_richardson_ wrote:i have been called crazy,

Surely not!
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby caspin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:13 am

crystal_richardson_ wrote:i have been called crazy, i remember a friend gave me the number of a psychiatrist they knew, that kind of bugged me, because they were my friend, and they aren't supposed to judge me like that

i guess we are more fun than everyone else, however there are times where i really suffer. my world is terrifying, because my mind is on the fritz, like you're losing control of your emotions and thought process, that's not fun

who is we, i dont get that. do you say you are a aspd or what do you mean? you are surely not, no love.
Just one more soul. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ◝(◕ ◡ ◕ )◜
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:43 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post